12-03-2014, 11:04 AM
User Info
Mods, if this is in the wrong place feel free to move it, or if it covers information already covered feel free to merge or delete it.

SJR sent me a pack of Treet SE carbon steel (CS) blades to try. I can buy the GEM brand, but not Treet. I suspect other than the name on the cardboard the package is mounted to they are identical blades, even to the dispenser they come out of. Both GEM and Treet are made by ASR.

Today was my first shave with one in GEM JR razor and the short story is that it's a fine blade; both sharp and smooth. The shave was really nice. In fact the shave was nicer than if I had used a GEM SS ptfe coated blade in that razor for that blades first shave.

I have to compare these to my standard GEM SS ptfe coated blades. Where the SS blades require a bit of a break in period for a few shaves (or hand stropping) to "work in" and become really good, this blade worked nicely right out of the package. It's a keeper blade.

But there are some issues I have (actually had) with carbon steel blades. Maybe those issues will have disappeared with my recent few months of using a Rolls Razor. Time will tell. CS blades require after the shave maintenance. Let's face it, CS rusts. Previously when I used the GEM CS blades out of CVS I would put a few drops of Skin So Soft on the top and bottom of he blade to coat it. Then after each shave I'd add to the coating as required, but I always added a drop or two more. I had no problem with blade longevity and remember getting at least 12 shaves per blade. But I begrudged taking the time to maintain a $.25 blade. I see that after todays shave I still haven't remembered, until now, that I need to add to the oil coating. SS blades have conditioned me to not maintain a replaceable blade. Of course that isn't the blades fault, but it reflects the world it lives in, the one I make for it.

FWIW, some gents warm the blade up and wipe it dry with no coating. There are numerous ways to maintain the blade. Too, I have well water with nothing added. That's theoretically easier on the blade. Water that is chlorinated is acidic, and acid and carbon steel aren't the best match.

OK, one other issue I have with CS blades. I never intend to use cartridges ever again. That means having the means to shave for the rest of my life, prepper like. CS blades can be stockpiled, however they will rust and become useless. You'll never see the rust, but it will be there microscopically. In fact once these blades came in to prevent rust I removed the blades from the dispenser and oiled each one before replacing them back into the dispenser. But mineral oil (Skin so Soft) isn't a long term solution.

For this review I intend to take this blade to the point where it loses cutting efficiency.

As I see fit I'll update this.

32 6,458
 12-03-2014, 11:37 AM
User Info
Nice review, Krampert. I am actually trying out Treet CS blades for the first time (also usually use the GEM PTFE). So far, I find them sharper and a tad harsher than their PTFE counterparts (evidenced by just a couple tiny weepers).

I am removing and toweling dry after use, as is my custom. I also stopped hand-stropping, so I am not hand-stropping these CS blades either.

Will plan on checking in again.

47 1,270
 12-03-2014, 12:36 PM
User Info
Please do Tom. Feel free to add your findings here.

Hmmmm, I didn't feel harshness from them. No big deal, we can only report what we feel. That's why I'd like for you to report your findings also.

32 6,458
 12-06-2014, 06:13 PM
User Info
Brian, I think I have a couple of cartridges of the Treets unopened somewhere in a drawer. I can't say whether I've used a Treet in my Streamline or not. If so, I've forgotten. Maybe I'll give them a go if I can remember, one of these days after I've gone through dealing with a couple or three new razors (not SEs).

24 1,226
 12-07-2014, 12:05 AM
User Info
Gary, just be aware that they can rust and the rust will be invisible. If you experience poor performance my bet is that it's not the blade, but the rust. So far I'm liking the shaves I'm getting. Good right out of the pack.

FWIW, the reason I'm so averse to CS blades is that I'm certain I got a rusted batch when I was just beginning to shave a few decades ago. They "cured" me and lead to far too many years of cartridges and whatever the manufacturers came up with. OK, too, I forgot to oil the blade the other day also. So simple a thing, yet I forgot.

32 6,458
 12-07-2014, 02:16 AM
User Info
Brian I checked my blades afterward and it seems I do have one unopened box of Treets and one used box of old CS GEMS. I do recall using one quite a while back when I was really getting into the SE razors before I ended up with the Streamline. That uncoated blade was not a good experience for me. I really should move those old blades to the garage for non-shaving projects.

24 1,226
 12-14-2014, 10:10 AM
User Info
Well, today was shave #10 for the carbons steel Treet. I swapped it out from the GEM Jr and into an ER '24. The body of the blade is developing rust, but the cutting edge that gets fresh mineral oil after each shave is still shiny and cutting fine.

This was a fine shave right out of the dispenser. I actually like them much more than my standard GEM SS ptfe blades when new. But for reasons already stated it's a non-starter for me. The carbon steel will rust over time and can't be bought in bulk and expect them to last for any length of time. Then there is the maintenance after the shave. I did forget completely once and on a second occasion remembered some time into the afternoon.

But I certainly can't deny the shave attributes of these blades.

I'm still using the blade so there will be at least one more post to report when it runs out of steam.

32 6,458
 12-14-2014, 02:55 PM
User Info
I'm not doing a rigorously scientific comparison, but after sandwiching a CS blade in between PTFE blades, I stand by my "sharper" impression. My "tad harsher" impression of CS because of a couple weepers was more likely due to me using pressure on a worn out PTFE blade previously and carrying that habit over to the CS blade.

47 1,270
 12-15-2014, 09:46 AM
User Info
I didn't even get 1/2 way through todays shave before canning the blade. It's amazing the transformation that the blade went through during the last 24 hours.

So I got 10 shaves from this blade.

32 6,458
 12-15-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
I have always found the carbon blades to be sharper at the start. I have a habit of oiling the cutting edge of all my blades any more. So they aren't much of a problem. Though to be honest I have used a Kai with feathers for most of the past few months.

6 1,224
 12-26-2014, 02:53 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Great review of the Treet cs blade Brian, I am glad that you enjoyed at least one of the blades.. I am still enjoying them. I dry mine and put a drop of oil between my thumb and index finger and apply to both sides of the blade. I an getting an average of 15 shaves per blade. I am thinking of making them my go to blade. As such, I am wondering if a bulk buy was kept in an airtight container like a small ammo box and desiccant packets were placed inside if the rust could be kept to a minimum... I've kept seeds in such a container and had 85% germination rates from seeds that were 5 years old.... You being a knowledgeable fellow I was wondering your opinion on such care... (Didn't want to say cause you're an old guy who's been around the block a few times)....lol Thanks my friend and Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 12-26-2014, 03:29 PM
User Info
Biggrin

Well, that's better than being called an old fart and I've called myself that more than once!

Dessicant paks might work. So might O2 absorbers, but O2 absorbers work by having iron in them that rusts. They won't stop rust on the blades, just compete for it.

The only really good solutions I have for you aren't convenient or attractive. If you have access to dry ice or a friend with a TIG (GTAW) welding setup they would definitely work, both the dry ice and shielding gas is absolutely dry and inert. If you put a chunk of dry ice in a can that will seal, an ammo can is what I know of off of the top of my head, close it, but don't seal it. Allow it to gas off until it mostly stops. Then seal it. You'll have a dry an inert atmosphere to store them in. Close it too soon and it'll burst.

For the shielding gas, much the same thing, except you'll have a tiny tube going into the can. When the gas exiting the can will extinguish a flame you're good. I would rig a tire valve on the can and actually pressurize it slightly to keep the valve closed.

OK, the down side. Every time you open the can you'd need to repeat the process. But I guarantee it will work.

Or treat the blades with Renaissance wax. You'd need to play with the easiest way to do this and it won't be convenient, but once treated you won't need to play with them further. To oil the blades you gave me I removed them all from the package, oiled each individually and put them back in while I held the spring down. You'd do much the same with the wax.

OR, get a container of oil, mineral oil would do, and submerge your blades in it. They'd need to be drained, but so what? Just allow a pack to drain when you use the last blade in a pack. This would require no special handling either. The oil would keep the atmospheric moisture away. I have no idea what it would do to the plastic packs.

That's all I have. None of it is convenient IMO.

In maybe 20 days I'll need to use another of the Treets.

Would you be disappointed if I passed them around for folks to try? I don't want them to degrade before I can use them up. Too, that would allow others to lend their voice to this thread.

32 6,458
 12-26-2014, 05:58 PM
User Info
I use Treet blades often. I think the PAL are a bit better CS blade though. My blades are stored in a file cabinet in the bedroom. I have so far not had a problem with them going bad and some of them are a few years old in there. How long does it take you to see a difference in the Treet blades?

1 143
 12-29-2014, 03:50 PM
User Info
If you're asking me, I haven't seen a difference and won't.

I had a bad experience with DE carbon steel blades 45 years ago and once bitten twice shy. That's why I use SS blades almost exclusively today.

32 6,458
 01-02-2015, 12:10 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Of course you can distribute the blades my friend.... Never thought of doing that myself... THAT is why you are the King of the L.O.S.E.R.S...... And I am a mere subject!!!
HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 01-02-2015, 01:39 PM
User Info
If anyone wants a few Treets (2), just PM me. When I run out of them, that's it, so it's first come first served. I'll come back to this post and put a stop to it when I do run out.

32 6,458