12-03-2014, 12:09 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
So I used my Valobra stick today without using a brush. Just wetted my face nice and gently rubbed the stick (also kept wet) on my face then lathered with damp hands.
I had a perfect shaving lather in record time and the shave was comfortable as could be.
I liked being able to know exactly the state of the soap/lather on my skin because of using my hands.
I was done shaving in 10-12 minutes, usually it takes me 25-35 to achieve the same shave, so at least double. And there was no sacrifice in quality of shave. If anything, my shave was considerably better.
Just wondering if anyone else ever shaves without a brush once in a while?

59 2,802
 12-03-2014, 06:35 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
I will do that with creams every now and then, but I have never done it with soaps.

0 230
 12-03-2014, 08:03 PM
User Info
Oh, my goodness! Not using a brush to lather! Sacrilege! Biggrin

I couldn't deprive my face of the luxury of exfoliation! Biggrin

If it is working for you, all the better, and enjoy the shaves!

82 21,077
 12-03-2014, 08:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I'm happy for you. You may now send your uneeded brushes to me.Rolleyes

2 3,171
 12-04-2014, 01:26 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Haha, I guess I was a hair misleading :-)
I will still use my 6 brushes (or more likely, upgrade a couple and keep the rest too).
But when in a rush, the hand method works really well actually, because I even tried the same thing this morning (same product too, Valobra stick). And same quick and excellent results.
I still enjoy building a lather with my brushes, don't worry guys, I don't need help with disposal :-)

59 2,802
 12-04-2014, 02:20 PM
User Info
(12-03-2014, 06:35 PM)clk Wrote: I will do that with creams every now and then, but I have never done it with soaps.

Dittos. Many creams even have the "finger lathering" as instructions on the label. I never did it with hard soaps either. My brushes would be ticked off if I even contemplated it and so would my face.

I find the brush experience to be a large part of the shave experience.

32 6,458
 12-04-2014, 02:52 PM
User Info
Nero, I sometimes use one of my 6 Musgo Real creams for hand lathering. It's designed to be used with and without a brush.

Works like a charm.
I still prefer to use one of my remaining 36 badger brushes though ;-)

24 5,962
 12-04-2014, 04:32 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
I guess I should say why I was even inspired to try this out, in the first place.
It wasn't necessarily that I was in a rush yesterday or today.

But over the past couple weeks, after shaving normally with a brush, I had been washing my face using my unscented AoS tallow puck that I've removed from the wooden bowl. And as I am washing my face, I feel a few remaining stubble in various parts of my face that simply got skipped somehow… so I just "finished" my shave with the lather that I'd been washing my face with. And even though the lather was considerably thinner than from a brush, it has just the right amount of slip and protection that I could do that "finish" pass with. (The fact I'm using my fingers lets me know when this thin lather is actually usable without scraping my skin off my face… but as I said, it really doesn't take long and I can easily add a couple drops of water until perfectly hydrated to the touch.)
Granted, for these first 2 full shaves without a brush the past couple days, I did make a slightly thicker lather for the first pass or two (maybe three), but that "finish" pass is actually very nice with just the slickness from a rather thin lather. Again, your fingers tell you when it's okay to proceed.

59 2,802
 12-04-2014, 10:25 PM
  • Jack
  • Old School
  • Long Island
User Info
At one point in time this method of lathering was quite common, not the exception....soap or cream alike.

0 169
 12-25-2014, 09:19 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I routinely perform hand-lathering of various soap sticks my pre-shave routine. After all, if shaving soap is what we consider best for preparing the skin for a shave, why not also use it as a prepping step. It really works great for me.

1 795
 12-26-2014, 07:21 AM
User Info
someone who lives in the Wasatch mountains should never be in a hurry.

73 1,295
 12-26-2014, 02:34 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(12-26-2014, 07:21 AM)daveinsweethome Wrote: someone who lives in the Wasatch mountains should never be in a hurry.

Hurry to go skiing!!!

59 2,802
 12-26-2014, 04:01 PM
User Info
You can obtain a usable lather and have great results without a brush, yes, but... where's the fun in that?!?! Smile

Just kidding, of course! Congrats and have fun!

2 5,547
 12-26-2014, 06:15 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
It's not common for me to not use a brush. I almost forget why I started this thread! ;-)

59 2,802
 12-26-2014, 06:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
[Image: uS9ugkp.jpg]
The most famous painting looks like Vincent grabbed the night sky with his fingers. VanGogh used brushes.

2 3,171
 12-26-2014, 08:56 PM
User Info
I've forgotten a brush on a trip and just used Arko with my hands and it's worked out fine. Not better or worse, just fine.

10 130