05-30-2012, 10:15 AM
User Info
Hello all -

While loving the Grosvenor 404B handle I hated the knot so I recently removed it and replaced it with a 20mm TGN finest set @ ~49mm and now I am in love Biggrin (well my wife might wonder about that). I have always been either a boar or a mixed brush guy (my #2 brush is the Semogue Caravela with the SOC being a very distant third). I have always avoided Badger brushes due to the $$ but now I begin to have 2nd thoughts (Duke 2, 57, Commodore X2).

So my question is - As a face latherer how do the Simpsons 2 & 3 bands brushes of similar size compare to face feel and performance of the TGN finest? And if possible which would you recommend to go with my revised 404...

Thanks!

1 7
 05-30-2012, 02:53 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
No,we are talking about different beast here.
The Golden Nib finest badger knots are really good for its price,but a 3 band badger hair from Simpson is another kind of animal and I like it better.
Yes,I would go for a best badger Simpson brush to go alongside your 404 finest badger brush.
If I can recommend you one Simpson brush would be a Duke 2 or a Commodore X1 or X2.

86 7,123
 05-30-2012, 07:26 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(05-30-2012, 10:15 AM)Poncho Wrote: Hello all -

While loving the Grosvenor 404B handle I hated the knot so I recently removed it and replaced it with a 20mm TGN finest set @ ~49mm and now I am in love Biggrin (well my wife might wonder about that). I have always been either a boar or a mixed brush guy (my #2 brush is the Semogue Caravela with the SOC being a very distant third). I have always avoided Badger brushes due to the $$ but now I begin to have 2nd thoughts (Duke 2, 57, Commodore X2).

So my question is - As a face latherer how do the Simpsons 2 & 3 bands brushes of similar size compare to face feel and performance of the TGN finest? And if possible which would you recommend to go with my revised 404...

Thanks!

I used the same TGN knot and set it at 49mm also in an Ever-Ready 650PB handle. I ended up with 22mm knot opening and 49mm loft. I absolutely love that brush. I also have a Simpson Wee Scot, which I really love. In fact, Wee Scot was the inspiration for the restore I did with the TGN finest I was looking for Wee Scot's lathering ability and scrubiness with a slightly larger brush. I think I succeeded. I still love boar brushes, though. Wee Scot and TGN finest brush are the only badgers in my brush rotation.

25 1,705