12-04-2014, 08:19 AM
  • jostalli
  • Stockbridge, GA
User Info
I have been using KAI as part of a sample pack and I was wondering if any one has done a comparison between KAI and Feather.

0 15
 12-04-2014, 09:17 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've used both and prefer the Feather blades for one reason only. They work better in my 37C Slant. The Feather blade is thinner and has more flex than the KAI.

As for as performance in a regular DE razor, most would probably say the Feather is sharper but the KAI is smoother. I too believe the Feather is sharper but I also think it is as smooth as the KAI.

They are both excellent blades. The one thing I do prefer about the KAI is they do not use any glue/wax on the blades to hold the paper on.

If I were using a standard DE razor I would probably use the KAI just because they cost less than the Feather.

You cannot go wrong with either as for as I'm concerned.

179 23,944
 12-04-2014, 02:43 PM
User Info
(12-04-2014, 09:17 AM)Johnny Wrote: I've used both and prefer the Feather blades for one reason only. They work better in my 37C Slant. The Feather blade is thinner and has more flex than the KAI.

As for as performance in a regular DE razor, most would probably say the Feather is sharper but the KAI is smoother. I too believe the Feather is sharper but I also think it is as smooth as the KAI.

They are both excellent blades. The one thing I do prefer about the KAI is they do not use any glue/wax on the blades to hold the paper on.

If I were using a standard DE razor I would probably use the KAI just because they cost less than the Feather.

Johnny, are you only using the Merkur 37c slant as your de razor, or other DE razors too ?

How do you like the shave the 37c slant gives compared to the Mongoose SE ?

24 6,020
 12-04-2014, 07:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
No doubt the things are sharp; I'm one of those who flayed myself alive trying a feather. Do you think Kais are more
forgiving?
I just reread THE BOOK OF FIVE RINGS and was curious.
Star-wars-smiley-023

2 3,171
 12-04-2014, 07:31 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-04-2014, 07:04 PM)kav Wrote: No doubt the things are sharp; I'm one of those who flayed myself alive trying a feather. Do you think Kais are more
forgiving?

Because jostalli asked those who had tried both Feathers and KAIs to comment, and I never have tried a Feather, I have refrained from commenting in this thread. I have been shaving for five decades, but my experience with DE blades is limited to three brands: Polsilver Iridium Super (Wizamet packaging), Gillette Silver Blue, and KAI. (Plus one Astra SP that came with the new Standard Razors razor, but I have no opinion on that.)

Of the three brands that I have been able to evaluate, KAIs are both the smoothest -- closest with least irritation -- and the most dangerous: it is all too easy to slice the skin or a mole or pimple with a KAI blade. Everything that I have read (but not experienced personally) and have been told by friends who have used Feathers extensively (most frequently with Merkur razors, when they escaped from Merkur blades) suggests that Feathers are wickedly sharp, but often rough. I have never heard of anybody describing any KAI blade as rough.

Feather is based in Osaka -- Japan's equivalent of Chicago, and has a decades long history in modern razors and blades. KAI is based in Seki, which historically has been the center of sword-making and knife-making in Japan. There is a lot of cultural history in the artisanal tradition of Seki.

1 1,110
 12-04-2014, 08:10 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I'm well versed in the sword history of Seki. My Roshi decided to teach me kendo. After 6 weeks of getting thumped
I walked in with a 6' irish two handed fighting sword.
Roshi San said 'tea time'
I'll have to try some kais.
My bloodtype is O+ if you get any urgent appeals in your PMs

2 3,171
 12-04-2014, 08:14 PM
User Info
I do not know why, but Feather does not turn my crank. I do not think it is the sharpest blade out there, despite the near unanimity on this point.
Kai, however, is an excellent blade that works much better for me. Incredibly sharp and smooth, it is everything I wanted Feather to be.
Polsilver is better than either one, IMO, but if I had to pick a Japanese blade, it would be Kai all the way.

0 76
 12-04-2014, 11:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-04-2014, 02:43 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-04-2014, 09:17 AM)Johnny Wrote: I've used both and prefer the Feather blades for one reason only. They work better in my 37C Slant. The Feather blade is thinner and has more flex than the KAI.

Johnny, are you only using the Merkur 37c slant as your de razor, or other DE razors too ? Just the Merkur 37C & 39C.

How do you like the shave the 37c slant gives compared to the Mongoose SE ? I have no experience with the Mongoose SE.

179 23,944
 12-05-2014, 04:51 AM
User Info
(12-04-2014, 11:13 PM)Johnny Wrote: [quote='CHSeifert' pid='471402' dateline='1417732988']

Johnny, are you only using the Merkur 37c slant as your de razor, or other DE razors too ? Just the Merkur 37C & 39C.

So you have sold all your other DE razors by now ?

I sold all of mine, and now have these 4 left:

Merkur 37Chrome
Merkur 34Gold
Mühle R89 Twist
Merkur Digress XL

But if my two Mongeese provide, I'm done with DE's for good.

24 6,020
 12-05-2014, 05:33 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-05-2014, 04:51 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(12-04-2014, 11:13 PM)Johnny Wrote: [quote='CHSeifert' pid='471402' dateline='1417732988']

So you have sold all your other DE razors by now ? I still have my 1956 Gillette Super Speed, which come to think of it has a KAI blade in it.

I sold all of mine, and now have these 4 left:

Merkur 37Chrome
Merkur 34Gold
Mühle R89 Twist
Merkur Digress XL

But if my two Mongeese provide, I'm done with DE's for good.

I do prefer KAI blades in my Feather Artist Club Razors.

179 23,944
 12-05-2014, 12:26 PM
User Info
I have used both and have settled on Kai in my 37C every day. I didn't find Feather any better in the slant. For me Kais last longer and are as sharp but smoother. Also, where can you buy Kais cheaper than Feather? I only found Kais to be the most expensive blades out there. Of course, with blades maybe more than anything, YMMV.

0 61
 12-06-2014, 07:11 AM
User Info
I prefer the Kai. I simple get less irritation in my as-d2

2 58
 12-08-2014, 05:39 PM
  • jostalli
  • Stockbridge, GA
User Info
Thanks everyone for the great input.

Well I have been working a second go round with my top 3 blades from the sample pack. I really like how the KAI feels when I am shaving but I am now finding that as the day goes on my face feels a little raw. I am probably still applying too much pressure. I think I am going to dial back to the Astra SP and shore up m technique for a while.

0 15
 12-09-2014, 04:33 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-04-2014, 08:14 PM)DrAwkward Wrote: Kai, however, is an excellent blade that works much better for me. Incredibly sharp and smooth, it is everything I wanted Feather to be.
Polsilver is better than either one, IMO, but if I had to pick a Japanese blade, it would be Kai all the way.
Interesting timing. I have been rotating among Polsilver, GSB, and KAI, getting, on average, six shaves per blade from each brand. This past week was a Polsilver week, and on this blade, I got three pretty good shaves, and then without warning it quit on me. The fourth shave took twice as long as usual, because the blade felt dull and I took some time blade-scrubbing, but the end result was fine; the fifth shave brought me some weepers, but -- thinking that I might have rushed matters or done insufficient prep two days in a row -- yesterday I gave the Polsilver a chance to give me the usual allotment of six shaves. Halfway through the first pass, I set down the DE, picked up the Schick Hydro cartridge razor, and finished the shave. Never had felt the need to do that before with any blade.

I have used enough Polsilvers to know that such blade to blade variation is infrequent, but I have not yet run into even one similarly bad GSB or KAI blade. In your personal experience, have you ever run into a bad KAI blade?

1 1,110