12-06-2014, 11:15 AM
User Info
Hello all and a good day to you!

I type this up due to my dealings with the BST on here and other forums. Mods if I am in any way out of line please correct me.

I know that for some being new to a forum and using a BST there may be questions on etiquette and acceptable behavior. Below are some tips that may help you.

NOTE: This is a multiforum post. Some items on the list are specific to certain forums and were added per member suggestions/requests. Be sure to check the rules for each forum you visit.

1. If you are interested in an item PM the seller. Don't just post in the thread you are interested. PM's actually are responded to much faster.

2. If you do PM or email someone wanting something please do not immediately sign off and go about the rest of your day expecting the seller to wait for you when you are ready. Most transactions on the BST can be closed within 5 minutes!

3. If you do not respond for several hours do not PM or email the seller with a rude message after finding what you wanted was sold and for the seller not waiting for you to choose to no longer be inconsiderate.

4. This goes to both sellers and buyers/traders: If you are on a smoke break at work or sitting in traffic etc. please let it be known in your post or message that you may be unable to respond right away. Some of us cannot read minds and know whats happening in your neck of the woods.

5. If you commit to a sale/trade and find you are unable due to lack of funds or something then let the other person know. It happens. We have all been there. You will not be thought less of and will actually be respected more and more likely have people willing to deal with you in the future.

6. If you sell an item on multiple forums offer the same price on each. Yes its yours to do as you wish but its frowned upon and you will get called out if caught.

7. Get your wifes permission before buying!!!

8. Once you have received your item, PM the seller or person you traded with to let them know your item arrived.

9. If you sell on the BST, take a second and let the purchaser know if you have received payment.

10. Once all items are sold/traded be sure to close he thread. Some sites have an option to close while others you can add "SOLD" or "ARCHIVE" to the title. This will allow the Mod team to relocate the thread and not have it clutter the BST.

11. Post pictures of what you wish to sell/trade. Your idea of the condition of an item can differ greatly from someone else.

12. If someone takes the time and is kind enough to message you regarding an item that you have listed please be sure to return that act of kindness. If the item is sold please mention so and thank them for inquiring. It only takes a second.

13. Some forums offer a buyer/seller/trader feedback. Take a moment and provide feedback to the other party about your experience. This will help others know how well a person is to deal with.

Now I know that sometimes things cannot be helped.

Your on line closing the deal a storm knocks you power out. It happens!

You lose cell signal or your phone dies. It happens!

Your abducted by bigfoot or aliens or a big hairy woman that could be confused with bigfoot or an alien. It happens!

If this does happen its OK. Just let the other person know it was out of your control and sorry for the trouble.

Again, these are just a few simple tips that may help improve your BST experience. If others have any they would like to add please feel free.

Regards,
Freddie P.

Added a #6 & #7.

147 3,536
 12-06-2014, 11:43 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Well stated.

102 18,649
 12-06-2014, 11:53 AM
User Info
Thank you sir!

147 3,536
 12-06-2014, 05:02 PM
User Info
Very well said, Freddy, and a good reminder. Smile

83 21,077
 12-06-2014, 05:26 PM
User Info
Added #8 & #9 per several suggestions.

147 3,536
 12-06-2014, 07:01 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Excellent suggestions that we all should keep in mind.

38 5,108
 12-06-2014, 07:34 PM
User Info
Freddie, I have just realized that I never adhere to rule #7! Biggrin

83 21,077
 12-06-2014, 08:10 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
These are great guidelines. #8 and #9 are great. I know I always try to follow through, but I also know that I've probably missed more than once. I'm a tad scatter-brained. :-/

22 828
 12-07-2014, 12:14 AM
User Info
I never do either Celestino, but it's none of her business either. After all these years of marriage the lines have been clearly delineated and trust has been nurtured. Now if I was to hire a hooker, that would be her business and rightly so. It would also not be me.

Freddy, well stated, and it's really just common sense. It's called communication and these computers and the 'net aren't infallible. Whenever I think they are that's when I run into trouble. It's far better to communicate too much than too little. Maybe it was you who wrote that we aren't mind readers. Absolutely. That's why language was invented. Not everyone understands that, hence my kudus regarding your post.

32 6,459
 12-07-2014, 04:24 AM
User Info
(12-06-2014, 07:34 PM)celestino Wrote: Freddie, I have just realized that I never adhere to rule #7! Biggrin

Its OK. I don't either. As long as the bills and everything else is taken care of she don't care. I've actually got her using a DE now so all the better for me! Smile

Ive also added a #10.

147 3,536
 12-07-2014, 04:30 AM
User Info
Great list, Freddie! Thanks for putting it together.

31 1,800
 12-07-2014, 04:52 AM
User Info
Also added a note/disclaimer requested by another forum before the first "tip".

Added #11

147 3,536
 12-07-2014, 05:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Good suggestions. As you said, different forums have different rules. As for as The Shave Nook, follow these simple rules and there should never be a problem.

http://shavenook.com/thread-revised-bst-rules

178 23,808
 12-07-2014, 06:24 AM
User Info
(12-07-2014, 05:52 AM)Johnny Wrote: Good suggestions. As you said, different forums have different rules. As for as The Shave Nook, follow these simple rules and there should never be a problem.

http://shavenook.com/thread-revised-bst-rules

Thanks for the link. I will add to the disclaimer at the top to be sure to check the rules for each forum someone frequents.

One thing I have learned is that most people do not read the rules but are more inclined to read the random thread such as this. I for one have not read those. For the most part its just pure common sense but sadly that's just too much to ask of some people in life.

147 3,536
 12-07-2014, 06:56 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You are correct about folks not reading rules and I can't understand it. There are general forum rules, vendor and artisan rules, and B/S/T rules. Each section has them posted at the top, but to make it simple, go to the very top of this page or any page and look at the second tab that says rules. All the rules are listed there in one simple click.

178 23,808
 12-07-2014, 07:10 AM
User Info
Most rules I have found to be long winded and almost like reading legal documents. There are not many people that want to take the time and go through them. Same reason most people agree to and sign contracts without actually looking over them. They part way through, there eyes start to cross, & they just say heck with it and agree. Sadly not doing so is what gets them in trouble! I use to be in sales and have seen that a lot.

147 3,536
 12-07-2014, 02:42 PM
User Info
Added a #12

147 3,536
 12-10-2014, 03:43 AM
User Info
Nice post.....good points.

Ed

22 752
 12-10-2014, 05:06 AM
User Info
Those look great Freddie. Now I need something to sell.

0 1,007
 12-10-2014, 12:43 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Great list Freddie. This should help new members and some veterans be more considerate of each other when dealing on the BST. Remember that we are dealing "amongst friends". We should treat each other accordingly.

75 1,311