12-07-2014, 03:38 AM
User Info
Last week I bought a new computer and screen and I was very surprised how different images looked in comparison to the old and the new screen. Of course, the progress of technology is an important point, my old computer is now five or six years old. But what is the correct setting?
I began to inform on the internet. Every computer has an integrated software, you can adjust the brightness, contrast, color prints and gamma.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2...2%2c00.asp

There are also expensive hardware to buy, but do you really need that?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Color-...4050180197

There is also free and good software, a friend introduced me to them carefully.
http://www.quickgamma.de/indexen.html

And here is a video how to use it

There are many test-images on the Internet to check if the settings that you have made are correct.
I used this, it's in German, but you can translate it with Google. It is really very interesting.
http://einklich.net/etc/gamma.htm

According to this site and tests, my new screen is now set correctly, and my old screen, which I had NEVER been changed something on the settings is COMPLETELY out of calibration.

I made yesterday a SOTD, especially in b/w with a harder contrast, to compare the difference between the new and old screen again. The difference is impressive.

How do you do it? Have you calibrate your monitor or do you use it like you have bought?

17 908
 12-07-2014, 08:46 PM
User Info
Wow, Aia! I had never even thought about this!
My brother helps me out with everything computer-related.
I would be completely lost without him!

If your pics are even better now with the new computer, I can't wait to see them, amico! Biggrin
Good luck.

83 21,077
 12-10-2014, 08:30 AM
User Info
I came across the question of monitor calibration years ago when I got one of the incredible Sony XBR CRT TV studio monitors. Never thought about black levels, convergence, etc. 'til then, and ended up having a tech come out to recalibrate -- which made a world of difference even on this already state-of-the-art set. The TV and computer monitors I have now don't offer all the flexibility in tweaking I'd really like, but thanks for pointing out some online sites where images can at least be nudged along.

29 1,776
 12-10-2014, 08:57 AM
User Info
i have always calibrated the screen on my macs, using the mac os built in display calibrator assistant:

system preferences>display>colors>calibrate.

7 1,624
 12-10-2014, 09:04 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
(12-10-2014, 08:57 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i have always calibrated the screen on my mac's, using the mac os built in display calibrator assistant:

The Mac OS' calibration is quite good actually. I work with spot colors a lot and my monitor in most cases seems to be extremely accurate with the PMS swatch.

18 1,186
 12-10-2014, 01:45 PM
User Info
(12-10-2014, 09:04 AM)CRAusmus Wrote:
(12-10-2014, 08:57 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i have always calibrated the screen on my mac's, using the mac os built in display calibrator assistant:

The Mac OS' calibration is quite good actually. I work with spot colors a lot and my monitor in most cases seems to be extremely accurate with the PMS swatch.

Only as good as your eyes mine are rubbish! I find External Calibration is best, I always used a Huey pro which was about £45ish but worked great.

1 100
 12-10-2014, 03:01 PM
User Info
if my eyes were rubbish i would not care about calibration in the first place Tongue

7 1,624
 12-10-2014, 05:19 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
LOL...you got a point Marius.

Anyone ever used the Colour Munki, or the Spyder? I was comparing these two at the Photography Demo and was impressed with the Munki over the Spyder the most, but I've never used an external device. I could see a need for it though.

I'll look into the Huey though...

18 1,186
 01-21-2015, 04:09 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing, Andi.  I've always used the calibration software that came with the video card.  I'll have to give your suggestions a try.

2 618
 01-23-2015, 02:04 PM
User Info
This is a big deal in the digital age. I am in the process of reading up on digital printing, thouhgt it would be a good thing since I have been doing it for ten years. Thank you for the great info I have been wanting to learn soft proofing and this is the first place to start.

13 247