12-07-2014, 09:13 AM
User Info
I bought recently from the local market a Boar brush
Looks like a copy of an Omega brush,same style plastic box,the logo,the description.
The sticker in purpose covers the "made in China", you have to open the box and remove the brush to see it so many people who don't know a lot maybe they will buy it as an Omega.
This brush has a 27mm base knot and the knot loft is 65mm.
The handle is light and cheap plus has an inclination in the bottom,a sign of careless manufacture.
The bristles are soft,need some de-funk work but the knot is shedding, i mean it, is shedding a lot !

[Image: 20330967ry.jpg]

[Image: 20330968cu.jpg]

[Image: 20330969cc.jpg]

[Image: 20330971fm.jpg]

Here is dry, as i pull it out of the box
More impressions after some bowl-face lathering tests.

0 353
 12-08-2014, 12:13 PM
User Info
Looks nice.

0 58
 12-08-2014, 02:06 PM
User Info
Obviously they're trying to cash in on the Omega name. That's a blow that lands below the belt for Omega.

Let us know know you make out with it.

The few inexpensive Chinese boars I've used have been less than stellar in performance. Clearly they just don't "get it". Left on their own they just make cheap crap thinking that's what the mature market wants (cheap). For those folks with a few grey hairs, if you remember, we went through the same thing with the Japanese in the '60s; there was a time when "made in Japan" meant it was made to be purchased and thrown away soon after. Basically, don't buy it at all.

However, one Chinese boar that I have, destined for who knows what ultimate market, is quite good. I use it to this day. I call it my $.50 Chinese boar since those were the only identifying labels on it. I bought 130 some odd of them from a liquidation outfit. I sold them at cost on another forum. I figured they'd be at least OK for noobs. Here I am many years later still using mine for a shave once a month. I suspect those brushes were made to a specification and not merely down to a price. But I got them for $.50 each. They were worth quite a bit more than I paid as it turned out.

32 6,460
 12-10-2014, 01:17 AM
User Info
[Image: 20354759al.jpg]

[Image: 20354758fj.jpg]

[Image: 20354757ab.jpg]

[Image: 20354760td.jpg]

After some knobing work the excessive shedding stopped but not completely
You can see the bristle that is ready to escape.
I have made another bowl lather test with different soap and a face lather
I will show you the results by photos.

0 353
 12-10-2014, 04:02 AM
  • Gordy
  • Wherever I am!
User Info
I reckon that Semogue and Omega boar brushes are the bargain of the shaving world. The bang for buck can only be matched by a few soaps or creams. I don't understand the desire to go any cheaper than what 99% of us know to be quality. I think it's false economy to go below these two names. Certainly even Omega's First Price brushes are better quality than what I've seen from other makes and fakes.

0 246
 12-10-2014, 05:17 AM
User Info
It is not the first time that I've seen a fake chinese "Omega" - but it is the first time that I see an "Omega Wannabe from China".

And I have to agree with Brian: the few chinese boars that I've tried they all have been less than good, to say the least. Tongue

2 5,547
 12-13-2014, 01:19 AM
User Info
(12-10-2014, 04:02 AM)Gordy Wrote: I don't understand the desire to go any cheaper than what 99% of us know to be quality. I think it's false economy to go below these two names.

I have spend a huge amount for vintage-new DE's,blades,soaps-creams,shaving bowl and about 112 brushes-knots.
I bought this brush for test and discussion,not to show to others "what an economy brush i bought".

[Image: 20377938ux.jpg]

[Image: 20377940xn.jpg]

[Image: 20377941th.jpg]

[Image: 20377942tz.jpg]

Face lather with another soap
1-2 bristles escape for Freedom again.

Biggrin

First i soak for few seconds the brush in cool water and then 2 minutes in boiled water
Next time i will soak it less in the boiled water to see the results.
In the first photo you can see the inclination on the handle's bottom,it's a disgrace.

0 353