12-08-2014, 05:05 AM
User Info
What goes into a great shot? Is it the quality, i.e. clarity, lighting or is it the subject matter?

0 1,007
 12-08-2014, 06:10 AM
User Info
All of the above, plus some. However, it's very subjective.

Exposure
Composition
Lighting
Sharpness
Contrast
Saturation
Subject
Background
Bokeh
etc,

28 349
 12-08-2014, 09:43 AM
User Info
Starting off as an amateur in the early 80's I was always worried about all the technical parts of the shot...now it seems I'm more interested in getting the "moment" more than anything else.

0 1,007
 12-08-2014, 10:10 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I think you can break a lot of the rules, composition is always the one I worry the most about though. You have to take your viewer on the journey you want them to have.

Contrast, exposure, saturation; these can all help tell the story you want to tell, and give your image the kind of feeling you want it to have. I really like a more journalistic style, which tends to have more contrast.

Really depends on what kind of photography you are doing; and then what story you are trying to tell with each image you make. Just an example, if you are taking a portrait, you will light it differently if you are shooting a rock band as opposed to a model, and you'll handle them both differently if you are doing a portrait of an executive. However you could shoot an executive somewhere between the model and the rock band to make the executive seem more powerful.

Make images you are proud of, tell the stories you want to tell, and you'll have fun.

18 1,186
 12-08-2014, 02:37 PM
User Info
Thanks Clinton, a very good explanation.Smile

0 1,007
 12-08-2014, 09:52 PM
User Info
I won't even offer any thoughts here as I am still trying to figure things out! However, I think luck is a bit of a contributing factor. Biggrin

82 21,077