05-30-2012, 10:53 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I was in WalMart last week and looked at their "shaving cremes". Even the stuff in a can is called shaving creme. Elsewhere I have see shaving cremes that say they require no brushes, just rub them in. Then there are the cremes like Taylor, which I am using now. Is there a way to tell if a shaving creme is made for traditional DE shaving? I'm afraid I'll buy something and it turn out to be made for the modern cartridge type shaving.

0 396
 05-30-2012, 11:01 PM
User Info
UD,

My advise would be to only buy from one of the many reputable wet shaving gear online stores such as those who frequent our "Vendor" forum. I think it's safe to say that none of those guys sell anything but the best. Also, familiarize yourself with typical ingredients in good shaving soaps and creams.

OR, you could do what I do. Limit yourself to RazoRock, Mike's, Mystic Water, Tabac and MWF.Biggrin

9 1,199
 05-30-2012, 11:10 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
(05-30-2012, 11:01 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: UD,

My advise would be to only buy from one of the many reputable wet shaving gear online stores such as those who frequent our "Vendor" forum. I think it's safe to say that none of those guys sell anything but the best. Also, familiarize yourself with typical ingredients in good shaving soaps and creams.

OR, you could do what I do. Limit yourself to RazoRock, Mike's, Mystic Water, Tabac and MWF.Biggrin

That sounds like good advice. I don't mind spending money for stuff that is worth it, but I begrudge every penny spent on a bad product even if it is dirt cheap.

I used to use Barbasol lather. I'm not saying it's a bad product but I will say that after using Taylor's, I'll never go back to Barbasol or anything like it. I would never have dreamed there could be that much difference.

0 396
 05-30-2012, 11:16 PM
User Info
(05-30-2012, 11:10 PM)uncledave Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 11:01 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: UD,

That sounds like good advice. I don't mind spending money for stuff that is worth it, but I begrudge every penny spent on a bad product even if it is dirt cheap.

I used to use Barbasol lather. I'm not saying it's a bad product but I will say that after using Taylor's, I'll never go back to Barbasol or anything like it. I would never have dreamed there could be that much difference.

Taylor's has a very good reputation. I'm partial to RazoRock and Mike's, but that's just me. Don't be afraid to try something you may not like. TSN has a very active BST.Wink

9 1,199
 05-30-2012, 11:24 PM
  • uncledave
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
Thanks Randy. I'll give the B/S/T forum a try just before I run out of Taylor's. Another thing that surprises me about Taylors: I use a measuring spoon and measure out half a teaspoon of it. That small amount makes enough lather for 3 passes plus a touch up 4th pass on my neck. That impresses me. That's value. Wink

0 396
 05-31-2012, 02:49 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Another thing to keep in mind is that cheap doesn't mean bad. Here's a few brands that are cheap and work really well

CO Bigelow and Proraso (CO Bigelow can be bought at Bath and Body Works). The new Proraso Sandalwood and Shea Butter is one of my favorites now.
Cella
RazoRock
Kiss My Face
Real Shaving Company (I detest this stuff but it generally gets high marks from others). It can be bought at many grocery stores.

Shaveabuck.com has many cheap Creams that work very well.

Honestly out of all of the above I just mentioned, KMF is the best value. For $6-$10 you get a huge bottle that lasts forever. I've had a bottle of KMF Lime since about a month and a half after I started Wet Shaving and it's still half full. I use it at least once a week and am very generous with the product. I'm a huge fan of Lime creams and it will go toe to toe with Trumpers, T&H and some of the other lime products. I just got the cool mint and like it as well.

116 3,804
 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
User Info
KMF is very good. I use the unscented.

9 1,199
 05-31-2012, 11:17 AM
  • mandoman
  • Southern California
User Info
any shaving cream can be used for traditional DE shaving

0 34
 05-31-2012, 11:26 AM
User Info
RSC is good shaving cream!

40 5,830
 05-31-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
(05-30-2012, 10:53 PM)uncledave Wrote: Is there a way to tell if a shaving creme is made for traditional DE shaving? I'm afraid I'll buy something and it turn out to be made for the modern cartridge type shaving.

The best way I know would be to come here and do search on the product. You'll find out quick.

0 836