12-09-2014, 07:29 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Just received this wonderful razor. Workmanship is top notch. Amazing feel in the hand.

Had my first shave with it tonight. My question....it seems as though I have to adjust my angle slightly more vertical than I am used to...that is...more perpendicular to my skin. Have other BBS-1 users had to adjust their angles?

BTW had a wonderful nick free shave with this razor using GSB blade and saponificio varesino soap.

168 1,392
 12-09-2014, 07:35 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Absolutely. The BBS-1 requires a very shallow angle. Also, I've found that with the BBS-1, I think it shaves better if you violate the prime directive of shaving: judiciously apply just a wee bit of pressure. Not a ton, mind you. Just more than you'd use with any other DE razor.

22 828
 12-09-2014, 07:40 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Glad to see you having fun with this Ron, I'm digging it very much myself. Between it and the Mongoose, it has been a fun ride these last few weeks.

143 1,984
 12-09-2014, 08:05 PM
User Info
I agree. It was on the 2nd or 3rd shave that I realized that and it's been smooth sailing from then on

11 489
 12-09-2014, 08:24 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(12-09-2014, 07:40 PM)Shanman Wrote: Glad to see you having fun with this Ron, I'm digging it very much myself. Between it and the Mongoose, it has been a fun ride these last few weeks.

No doubt...this razor is FUN to use!

168 1,392
 12-09-2014, 08:34 PM
User Info
I agree wholeheartedly about the beauty and workmanship of this razor head. It compliments polished handles wonderfully well. I used this razor for the first time this morning and I must not have had the angle right at all. It felt like there wasn't a blade in it. I was surprised since I had heard that this was an aggressive/efficient razor. After the first pass I realized that it hadn't been cutting much. I had the same result after the 2nd pass. I started on the 3rd pass and then gave up and used my Cobra Classic for clean up. (I don't have a lot of extra time to experiment while getting ready before work in the mornings.) I know others are getting excellent results from this razor, and this thread only confirms that it is an angle issue. Other than having used a Weber a couple days ago, I haven't used a DE in a couple years (since I became a Cobra convert in 2012). It may take awhile to learn a new angle. I look forward to trying again.

18 246
 12-09-2014, 10:20 PM
User Info
When I had mine, I definitely noticed that you needed a shallower angle. It was a very smooth and effective razor head, but, for me, it just left me with a tad too much irritation. The blade gap almost reminded me of the R41, but oh, so much smoother! Biggrin

Enjoy the beautiful work of art, gentlemen!

83 21,081
 12-10-2014, 06:32 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I think every razor I have has its own unique angle and specific technique, and the BBS-1 is no exception. There was a slight "getting to know it" period on the beginning, but for me I also found it to be more intuitive than others. It definitely took me longer to get used to the R41 than this one. Overall I do find myself using a shallower angle than, say, a vintage Gillette or Shavecraft razor, but I don't think it is as shallow as I use in the R41.

Good luck with it, and I hope you get incredible shaves with this razor Biggrin

34 1,628
 12-10-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
Ron, for the past two days I am deciding which is my top razor. Tough competition between mongoose and BBS.

Yes the angle is little different in BBS razor. Will take few shaves to get used to it.

61 3,072
 12-10-2014, 07:43 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(12-10-2014, 06:32 AM)Giorgio Wrote: I think every razor I have has its own unique angle and specific technique, and the BBS-1 is no exception. There was a slight "getting to know it" period on the beginning, but for me I also found it to be more intuitive than others. It definitely took me longer to get used to the R41 than this one. Overall I do find myself using a shallower angle than, say, a vintage Gillette or Shavecraft razor, but I don't think it is as shallow as I use in the R41.

Good luck with it, and I hope you get incredible shaves with this razor Biggrin

Have you tried a steep angle with the R41? Changed my life...

22 828
 12-10-2014, 07:49 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(12-10-2014, 07:43 AM)chamm Wrote: Have you tried a steep angle with the R41? Changed my life...

Not recently...I may have when I first got it and was experimenting with it to see what worked best, and may have found it not the ideal so I didn't continue. Based on your comment I'll certainly revisit the concept as I'm always open to new methods. When someone suggested I try the Futur opened all the way I thought it was crazy but tried it anyway. I found using the Futur like that was a total game changer and I loved it Biggrin

34 1,628
 12-10-2014, 08:55 AM
User Info
(12-10-2014, 07:43 AM)chamm Wrote: Have you tried a steep angle with the R41? Changed my life...

I tried every angle possible, but that thing just doesn't correlate with smoothness for my skin. Biggrin

83 21,081
 12-10-2014, 09:15 AM
User Info
Just to make sure I am understanding the steep vs. shallow angle. Is a steep angle where the head is more perpendicular to the skin with its handle pointing more to the counter? Or is a steep angle where the head is closer to the skin and its handle more parallel to the counter?

eric.

7 150
 12-10-2014, 09:18 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(12-10-2014, 09:15 AM)glassmtn Wrote: Just to make sure I am understanding the steep vs. shallow angle. Is a steep angle where the head is more perpendicular to the skin with its handle pointing more to the counter? Or is a steep angle where the head is closer to the skin and its handle more parallel to the counter?

eric.

Good question. The way I think of it, and I believe this is the common interpretation, your first statement is correct. So a shallow angle is one where the head is almost parallel to the face and handle is perpendicular to the counter, and steep is the opposite.

The angle here is the angle of the blade to the face. So if you imagine a DE blade laying flat on your face, the angle is zero, and as you raise it up the angle increases, getting steeper. 90 degrees would be the ultimate steep angle of blade to face (and I can't imagine it being very effective Tongue)

34 1,628
 12-12-2014, 08:44 PM
User Info
Giorgio, you've explained it exactly backwards.

Steep means handle pointing more downward, toward the floor. Shallow means handle more upwards and away from the face.

So in steep angle shaving, the handle is closer to the face, and in shallow it is farther away. With steep, the handle is closer to parallel with the face, and in shallow closer to perpendicular.

I hope this is helpful to somebody.

2 1,464
 12-12-2014, 08:51 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(12-12-2014, 08:44 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Giorgio, you've explained it exactly backwards.

Steep means handle pointing more downward, toward the floor. Shallow means handle more upwards and away from the face.

So in steep angle shaving, the handle is closer to the face, and in shallow it is farther away. With steep, the handle is closer to parallel with the face, and in shallow closer to perpendicular.

I hope this is helpful to somebody.

What you stated is exactly the way I was thinking of it....my apologies if my wording was confusing Sad . If you look at my post, I explained that shallow is when the head (not handle) is almost parallel to the face, so the angle of the blade to the face is shallow.

I think I was at work (probably on a conf. call Tongue) when I replied, so I think my post could have been less confusing. Your explanation was much better than mine, so thanks for chiming it Biggrin

34 1,628
 12-13-2014, 07:33 AM
User Info
There's plenty of confusion to go around. The first post describes the angle needing to be more perpendicular -- that is, steeper -- to the skin; and chamm's first response chimes in with an enthusiastic agreement that the angle needs to be more shallow... I think Giorgio's original explanation explained it twice, in opposing ways...

And I've been known to type with too little sleep or too much whiskey in me.

So has anybody figured out whether the "BBS-2" is planned to be a slant, or what?

7 315
 12-13-2014, 08:08 AM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I've often thought the "steep versus shallow" description has always been a confusing terminology. I get a better visual when I think acute and obtuse.

143 1,984
 12-13-2014, 08:39 AM
User Info
(12-13-2014, 07:33 AM)wagstaff Wrote: So has anybody figured out whether the "BBS-2" is planned to be a slant, or what?

Last I spoke to John it wasnt a slant he had planned. But his plans could have changed in the past month

11 489
 12-13-2014, 08:40 AM
User Info
So given the discussion on steep vs. shallow, can anyone chime in with the proper angle for the BBS-1? For purposes of this discussion, let us assume that steep is where the handle is pointing down more to the floor and shallow is where the handle is pointing more parallel to the floor.

eric.

7 150