05-31-2012, 12:06 AM
User Info
I was lucky enough to get a full size bottle of Krampert's Finest Bay Rum Aftershave as a PIF a little while back, and would like to share my experience with it.

The short version: If you like bay rum, get hold of a bottle of Krampert's Finest. If you don't like bay rum, a bottle of Krampert's Finest will likely change your opinion - so get hold of one.

The longer version? Well, if you insist...

Krampert's Finest is - if you're to believe his website, and I see no reason not to - the result of a man being unsatisfied with the available aftershaves and wanting to make something better. I would say Krampert have more than succeeded; this is a damn nice aftershave.

The scent is hard to describe... partly cause I'm not terrible familiar with what Bay Rum is "supposed" to smell like. It smells different than my Col Conk Bay Rum shaving soap, which is my only other exposure to Bay Rum. It is however a very nice scent, perhaps slightly old fashioned but not in a bad way - more like a Porsche 911 is an old fashioned car... perhaps a better term is "classic".

The scent also triggers some recollection on my part - like a memory I can't quite pin down. Not a bad memory, mind you, but still.. wish I could pin it down. Oh well, I'm on a tangent.

The customs note affixed to the package stated it was a moisturizer, and Krampert's Finest do a great job of moisturizing my face after my shave - it works so well I have caught myself using it even if I haven't shaved. It also does a good job of sealing and healing any minor nicks I might have inflicted on myself while shaving.

The aftershave also seems to have a curious ability I can't quite explain; the scent seems to linger longer those days I want it to. Perhaps it's just me noticing it more, perhaps I unconsciously puts more on, or perhaps it is magic. I honestly don't care - it works.

Actually, those two last words there can be used to summarize Krampert's Finest: It works.

It works better than the other - honestly limited - selection of aftershaves I've tried. Smells better too... so go get hold of a bottle. It is just that good.

3 3,562
 05-31-2012, 04:28 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I have a sample size. I agree it is a great product. I like how it leaves your face feeling healthy, the scent is wonderful not overpowering but you know it is there.

1 3,507
 05-31-2012, 06:58 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I still have some left from a sample plus a fresh bottle that just arrived last week. Besides the great smell it acts mostly like a balm. Your review is perfect. Thanks

100 12,439
 05-31-2012, 09:11 AM
  • mandoman
  • Southern California
User Info
nice review thanks

0 34
 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM
User Info
I love reading reviews like that! Thanks Hans.

32 6,309
 06-03-2012, 08:51 PM
User Info
Excellent review, Hans.

75 20,883
 06-03-2012, 09:33 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Thank you for sharing your experience, Hans Cool

I have found it to be a delightful scent, but I like unique spice scents that remind me of Thanksgiving and Christmas pies.

to me, there seems to be a hint of clove in it (I used to dig on some Dajarums) so it is a pleasant smell to me. Not overpowering, just a hint.

I find that I use it with my Nivea AS balm... Nivea first (very light coat) and then the Krampert's Finest Bay Rum AS, also very light... i use any left on my palms... and run it across the back of my neck too! Blush

9 1,684
 06-03-2012, 10:43 PM
User Info
Friday night my family was going out for dinner and I shaved after my shower. I finish up with KF and I ask my 14 year old son what he thought of it and he said, "It smells like Christmas".Cool

I guess teenagers aren't knuckle heads all the time afterall. Huh...

9 1,199
 06-04-2012, 01:24 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-03-2012, 10:43 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: Friday night my family was going out for dinner and I shaved after my shower. I finish up with KF and I ask my 14 year old son what he thought of it and he said, "It smells like Christmas".Cool

I guess teenagers aren't knuckle heads all the time afterall. Huh...
Smile very cool!

9 1,684
 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Changed my life..used to be homeless..down and out ..a real loser...NOW I,m a Player..in demand..have to fight off the ladies...phone never stops ringing...even use it in my Porsche all this from just 2 bottles....Amazing try this and you too can be a swinger and a ladies man...plus wealthy beyond belief...Yah Baby...you need this !!!!!!CoolCoolCoolCool

6 1,913
 06-04-2012, 09:00 PM
User Info
And to think, I only wanted to make great Bay Rum. Yet, here it is transforming actual lives! Absolutely unbelieveable!

(Yeah, it sort of is quite unbelievable! Facepalm )

Turns 90# weaklings into muscle bound He-Men, cures warts, and leprosy, gets rid of flatulence, rids the world of hunger, and promotes world wide peace! Biggrin Yup, it's great stuff!

32 6,309
 06-04-2012, 09:39 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Oh yes It does,it will ...now all rise up and repeat after me...Praise Kranpert,s Finest..I say Praise this elexor ...praise the maker and Praise the Lord.....sing together now and please pass the Kranpert,s Finest...raise our glasses and leave a little in the jar...we can change the world....Yes we can !!!!BiggrinBiggrinBiggrinBiggrin

6 1,913
 06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
User Info
Well, I was thinking more along the lines of the snake oil of old and a bit less blasphemous, however humourous the intention.

32 6,309
 06-05-2012, 09:38 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Yah I got a little carried away....but as a product it is excellent and we should all praise the Lord for the life we have and to be able to enjoy these products in a free country...so I was just a bit excited!!!!!!No blasphemy intended.

6 1,913
 06-05-2012, 09:53 AM
User Info
I have to say that putting on some of Krampert's Finest does feel quite heavenly Tongue

It is a wonderful aftershave indeed - if it came in small(ish) bottles with a screw top that I could safely put in my GoBag I would order a couple right now even if it would mean having to go stateside to pick it up Biggrin

Brian, if you do take suggestions, might I suggest offering it in a glass bottle? The extra weight and heft would give a bit more, how to put it, gravitas. The feeling of class, in addition to the scent and skin-feel. Hard to express in words, but... like Mercedes put weight in the doors of their high end cars, to make the right sound when you close them.

Am I even making sense? I have no idea any longer... Blush

3 3,562
 06-05-2012, 12:08 PM
User Info
WW, You are the 2nd person to suggest glass. It's a good suggestion, but everything comes with a price tag. The bottle is more expensive, so too is packaging and shipping. That all gets passed on.

At this time I can't, but my mind is open to it in the future.

Maybe I'll do a run of glass or aluminum bottles and see how they sell. Actually aluminum would be ideal for Bay Rum because it needs to be kept dark.

Harvey, so that no one gets the wrong idea, what needed to be said was said. IMO, it's over. We're still friends. I know you didn't mean anything by it, and you certainly didn't insult me by it. I just didn't want it to get out of hand. I don't mind me being made sport of, heck, if you didn't I might, but I draw the line at FATHER. I won't even approach HIS seat in anything but sincerity and I won't be drawn in. Maybe HE would find it amusing, but I want to make sure before I test HIM. It's over in my mind. Clean slate.

32 6,309
 06-06-2012, 01:25 PM
User Info
(06-04-2012, 09:00 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: And to think, I only wanted to make great Bay Rum. Yet, here it is transforming actual lives! Absolutely unbelieveable!

(Yeah, it sort of is quite unbelievable! Facepalm )

Turns 90# weaklings into muscle bound He-Men, cures warts, and leprosy, gets rid of flatulence, rids the world of hunger, and promotes world wide peace! Biggrin Yup, it's great stuff!

After a week of using mine, I lost 30 pounds.Tongue

0 64
 06-06-2012, 07:57 PM
User Info
(06-05-2012, 12:08 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: WW, You are the 2nd person to suggest glass. It's a good suggestion, but everything comes with a price tag. The bottle is more expensive, so too is packaging and shipping. That all gets passed on.

At this time I can't, but my mind is open to it in the future.

Maybe I'll do a run of glass or aluminum bottles and see how they sell. Actually aluminum would be ideal for Bay Rum because it needs to be kept dark.

I realise that offering it in a glass - or aluminium, which is an idea I hadn't considered - will drive the cost up, probably a fair bit too. But the kicker is that the product that comes out of the bottle is - and this might sound weird - just too good to be packaged in plastic.

I'm not expecting you to change everything just cause someone online suggests it though, and I certainly won't stop using your Finest Biggrin

(06-06-2012, 01:25 PM)Ray Settanta Wrote: After a week of using mine, I lost 30 pounds.Tongue

Ah, so the three British pen pound notes I found must have been yours then Tongue

3 3,562
 06-06-2012, 08:51 PM
User Info
Hans, I listen to what folks who like it have to say. It's extremely important to me. I understand entirely about the bottle. I cheapen what's inside with a cheap bottle and it's better than that. I got it. I started this on a shoestring but i have the $ now to make it even better. I wanted to put it into menthol, but I'll get to that as I'm able. :-) Probably in winter. But that is as it is.

If I'm going to do it right, then right is aluminum for many reasons. It has issues of it's own, but nothing that can't be solved. I really don't want glass. I never want to ship glass.

For a time I might have 2 price structures, one for plastic and one for aluminum. I know I'd pick aluminum, it's the best for the product. Then I need to find a good closure. How about a screw cap for shipping and the existing clic cap for use? Would that work? I also want a premium label for the aluminum bottle. Or maybe a really really good aluminum bottle that gets refilled with a cheap refill?

Hans, how small of a container do you need for taking with you? would 2ozs do it or is that too large? What is the requirement for international flights out of the US, anyone?

Folks I love feedback, and I'm receptive to the things I think will make it better, that's how this gets better. Heck, you guys know what you want out of it. You like the product, now it's time for the package. I got that. My mind is open.

32 6,309
 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM
User Info
Let me rephrase that Brian; I don't expect you to change everything because one guy online says something... Aluminium bottles and refills sounds like a great idea though; in essence your current style bottle could either be used as-is or poured into an empty aluminium bottle. Switch-able caps is also a good notion - if I don't mislay the screw cap Rolleyes

For me personally an increase in cost won't matter since your Bay Rum is good enough to pay for. Also, living in Norway means you're used to everything being expensive - for me even a doubling in the cost would be cheaper than most commercial products available.

Also, I was promised there would be no math this early in the day Tongue : For flying anywhere in the world, the limit on liquids/gels is AFAIK 100ml containers in a clear 1 litre bag - or to use american units; 3.38oz containers in a bag slightly larger than a quart.

To fit in my GoBag however, a bottle smaller than that would be ideal - I'm sure you know the drill of fitting everything you need for a week or two in a backpack - and even a 2oz (or 58ml) might be a tad on the big side. Currently I'm using a bottle that size for my Dr Bronner liquid soap, and when cramming everything into toiletry bag for a long trip it can be a tight fit. Off course shape has something to do with that; the soap bottle is short and stubby.

The current bottle is sturdy though, and I'm going to assume - correct me if I'm wrong - that the 2ox bottle you're using for the shave enchanter is of the same quality. It should make a good bottle for bringing some of your wonderful aftershave with while travelling.

Brian, do you plan to start shipping abroad at some point? Cause I wouldn't mind buying some of that Shave Enchanter once you release it to the market Biggrin

3 3,562