12-11-2014, 12:08 AM
User Info
After a very long search for ingredients that I am allergic to, as I had random results with different products, I finally was able to narrow it down to blade allergy.
With exactly the very same setup except the blade, one shave I got severe allergy and the next one I didn't.
But the trick is that is not a totally different blade. I am talking about all newly manufactured personna lab blue that has the "Comfort Coated" label on the package compared to the ones that are not labeled "Comfort Coated"
I thought initially that it was a quality issue with blades from an Europe seller, but it wasn't as I ordered this time from USA and I got the exact same results.

Now the thing is that the lab blue that I got from West Coast Shaving are packed individually in white paper instead of printed blue as everyone knows them. Are those different? Are those the well known lab blues that many people use?

Now to the question. There is something about the new blade that is causing me severe allergy. I felt like I had an awesome shave, without any blade damage, though my entire face turned red and got inflated. It hurt very very badly and I could not touch it with my hands. Had to stay under cold water to tone it down a bit. What can it be? Is it something in the new coating they use that is causing me allergy? Is it something they apply to the newly manufactured blade that is causing me allergy? If is about some anti rust oil then what can I do to the blade before shaving to remove it completely? Will very hot water melt the oil but also damage the blade? Will keeping it in alcohol for a minute or too solve anything? Unfortunately I cannot find information about the materials used in the coating of new personna lab, so that I can check also other blades that have the same material so that I ensure that the allergy is to that chemical, and also check blades that are totally free of that chemical and see that they work just fine for me.

If there is anything else that I missed or there is something else you guys want to ask in order to help me in any way, please do so, as I really want to solve this problem once and for ever.

Thank You

0 18
 12-11-2014, 08:52 AM
User Info
Is this just with the Personna blade, or with all DE blades?

82 21,056
 12-11-2014, 09:01 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Contact the company! I doubt any covering is so magical it will be a trade secret.

2 3,171
 12-11-2014, 10:42 AM
User Info
(12-11-2014, 08:52 AM)celestino Wrote: Is this just with the Personna blade, or with all DE blades?

To summarize it, is like this:

Personna LAB Blue Without "Magic Coating": 0% allergy
Personna Med Prep Without "Magic Coating": 0% allergy
Personna LAB Blue WITH "Magic Coating": 100% allergy
Personna Med Prep WITH current production: 20% allergy - is just a bit of discomfort but big enough to call it a dud.
Personna Platinum Old Model 2012 (white paper, nothing written on blade): 0% allergy
Personna Platinum New Model (wax paper, text on the blade): 20% allergy

I was thinking to contact the company, not sure what is best way as I can't even fit enough text in the contact form. Will try to find a way to get in contact.

0 18
 12-11-2014, 01:26 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I have never heard of a blade coating allergy...are you using boiling hot water?....probably more of a soap,brush or a/s problem...switch blades to some other brand and see what happens.

6 1,994
 12-11-2014, 02:46 PM
User Info
I noticed that the personna lab blue blades have a strong car oil smell. I am actually starting to believe that I am allergic to the oil. Any idea how to remove that oil? Alcohol? Dishes detergent?

And I repeat.
Same preshave,
Same Razor,
Same Brush,
Same Shaving Soap,
Same Aftershave,
Absolutely everything is the same, except of course for alternating between personna lab blue from a pack without "Comfort coated" and one from a pack with"Comfort coated" on it.

0 18
 12-11-2014, 06:59 PM
User Info
If it is an oil coating, rubbing alcohol followed by a rinse in hot water should loosen / remove most of it.

If it's an oil coating that has been baked on, you might need to give the blades a good scrub to get it off... and it might just be easier to use the blades that don't give you trouble.

3 4,373
 12-12-2014, 01:26 AM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Acetone or lighter fluid should easily remove any oil-based coating, as they are both solvents. I use these to remove the wax dots on P&G blades.

I knew someone who had a reaction to the PTFE coating on many blades. I would think PTFE is a stable enough substance that this wouldn't be possible, but maybe it is.

- Murray

4 1,150
 12-12-2014, 02:48 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Wow. I would have never thought that someone could be allergic to something like that. Why would you even bother with the ones your allergic to? Get rid of them. Toss them or if you have a substantial amount of them, sell them here on BST.

7 2,281
 12-12-2014, 09:13 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
We have created a 'witch's brew' of chemicals in the environment.That's a given and then piecemeal bans on
Parabens etc try to sort out the 'good' from the 'bad'.
You have a very real reaction to SOMETHING. A girl died
after kissing her Bf who ate peanut candy HOURS earlier.
It happens, it's not psychosomatic. Find the problem,fix it.

2 3,171
 12-12-2014, 10:03 AM
User Info
Why don't you just stop using those blades and move onto other ones? There are so many great blades, out there without the coating, if I am not mistaken.
Best of luck. Smile

82 21,056
 12-12-2014, 02:02 PM
User Info
If I was sure that all personna lab blades are like that, I would absolutely give up. But for me, they are so smooth and long lasting, that I do not wish to give up as long as there is a chance to find a way to either make them work, or find out where/what type to buy to get good ones.

My plan for now is to somehow identify if is the coating or the oil.
If I manage to find a way to remove the oil and have a perfect shave, then is obvious what is my problem and I will try to find a way to not buy ones with oil. Even putting acetone into a jar and letting it sit there a bit is kind of frustrating, so most likely I will give up. However, I am more interested in finding out IF is the oil or not, and not to create a cleaning process for every single blade which would be too much trouble to do.

0 18
 02-01-2015, 01:21 PM
User Info
Reviving this just to inquire if you've had any luck w/ determining if it's the oil or coating? Believe I've happened upon the same instance. I started having some skin irritation and it was quickly determined to be contact dermatitis, but I've been unable to determine the source. I've tried removing certain soaps from my rotation to source out the culprit, but have been unsuccessful. Then, last week I used a Feather Blade for most of the week, and upon returning to a new Personna Lab Blue this week the irritation has returned. I then made a mental track record back to when the first outbreak occurred. This just so happened to be right within a week of first using the 100 count box I've got of Lab Blues. For some reason with all my thoughts towards shaving soaps, brushes, creams, and bath soaps the thought it could be the blade just had not dawned on me.

0 3