12-13-2014, 11:39 AM
User Info
I need to find out how to sell a handgun. I got it from my deceased brother and am not a gun guy. I need help in pricing, legality etc. any help would be appreciated. it is a Taurus 38 special with a lazer site

73 1,263
 12-13-2014, 12:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
First and foremost you cannot sell it here. Please read B/S/T rule C5.

http://shavenook.com/thread-revised-bst-rules

Now to try and help you determine price and where to sell.

Google Taurus 38 Special and you will see several locations advertising these for sale. Guns America is also a good place to start.

You might visit local gun dealers for pricing and sales as you need a Federal Firearm License to sell a gun unless you are selling to an individual.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

175 23,752
 12-13-2014, 12:45 PM
User Info
(12-13-2014, 12:41 PM)Johnny Wrote: First and foremost you cannot sell it here. Please read B/S/T rule C5.

http://shavenook.com/thread-revised-bst-rules

Now to try and help you determine price and where to sell.

Google Taurus 38 Special and you will see several locations advertising these for sale. Guns America is also a good place to start.

You might visit local gun dealers for pricing and sales as you need a Federal Firearm License to sell a gun unless you are selling to an individual.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
thanks Johnny I just needed a place to start. both my brothers were true aficianados of firearms. there is one shop within 50 miles of me so I will stop by. thanks for the help

73 1,263
 12-13-2014, 12:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If you do sell to an individual keep records.

Copy their driver license. Photo copy if possible. Type out a receipt with the guns serial number and be sure both parties sign it. Then put your documentation in you safe deposit box.

I speak from experience as I sold a handgun 28 years ago when I lived in Texas. Last year that handgun was used in an armed robbery in Ft. Worth and the serial number was traced back to me through a gun store in Dallas and Smith & Wesson. I produced a copy of my sales receipt to my local police department and my name was cleared.

175 23,752
 12-13-2014, 01:01 PM
User Info
(12-13-2014, 12:54 PM)Johnny Wrote: If you do sell to an individual keep records.

Copy their driver license. Photo copy if possible. Type out a receipt with the guns serial number and be sure both parties sign it. Then put your documentation in you safe deposit box.

I speak from experience as I sold a handgun 28 years ago when I lived in Texas. Last year that handgun was used in an armed robbery in Ft. Worth and the serial number was traced back to me through a gun store in Dallas and Smith & Wesson. I produced a copy of my sales receipt to my local police department and my name was cleared.
that makes good sense. bet that spiced up your day. what did you do with the loot? ha ha

73 1,263
 12-13-2014, 01:29 PM
User Info
Johnny nailed it. Good advice.

You could also let the gun shop handle the sale. You'd put it on consignment, they'd sell it for whatever the traffic will bear. They keep the records in their book and you have almost no involvement.

32 6,445
 12-13-2014, 01:48 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Do all of the above AND ask your local police department for any additional advise specific to OR.
I had a Colt New Service in .44 Russian bought and registered in Tillamook Bay. I sold it with a transfer to a FFL holder.
He later went to prison for life for a PCP lab booby-trapped to explode when the police raided his house.
30 YEARS after I bought it I get a call from LAPD. It was used in a gang shooting that took out both shooter and victim.
Idiot somehow jammed .44 Magnums into the cylinder.
There was NO record of my transfer: The dealer just tossed the paperwork and it went into the grey market.

2 3,171
 12-14-2014, 08:25 AM
User Info
It depends a lot on where you live, as each state has their own laws and requirements. If you're not a gun guy and don't care about getting maximum dollar for the firearm, take it to a pawn shop that sells guns or any small local gun store. The local police should inform you, but honestly don't count on them knowing the laws (and definitely don't walk into a police station with it!). Gunbroker online is a great online site to sell firearms, and they also have a lot of info on laws/procedures etc. Anyway, hope this helps! Good luck, and if you have any more questions feel free to PM me. I know a lot more about guns and firearms than wet shaving!

I would also say, in reference to price, go on GunBroker.com and search for your firearm. This will give you a general idea what a used firearm similar to yours is going for in the current market. I'm not saying you definitely will get this amount, but it will be a realistic starting point.

0 2
 12-14-2014, 08:57 AM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Please , do not even try to come with or sale this gun in New York State !
Seriously, you're going to be arrested and have a lots of a headache even if you owned legally in your state ! Lots of folks haven't idea that they need NY permit to carry a gun in New York and getting very easy customers to our justice system , risking 3 years in jail !
Otherwise good luck with this sale !

10 415
 12-14-2014, 10:31 AM
User Info
K9', most cops don't know gun laws, so asking them is largely a waste of time. Too, being a LEO is 90% slingin' BS and 10% law, so that's another reason not to ask. But asking a legitimate gun dealer will get the correct skinny.

Kav, what a great ending for a lowlife. Too bad he had to take out another person but I hope it was another low life. That saves court costs and saves countless lives. I'd love to know how he got the .44 mags into that chamber. Why didn't it go off when he hammered them in!? We'll never know.

Bony, well you're both right and wrong.

Out of staters can travel through NY with firearms (long and hand) otherwise illegal to possess in the state, that's a federal law. But it isn't as simple as that. One must travel straight through, and the gun and ammo should be in separate compartments in the vehicle. Locked up is even better; and don't forget to unload it. Don't stop to sleep overnight... straight through. Same goes for CT and NJ.

Too, if you happen to be stopped it helps to have them completely out of sight, and volunteer no information regarding them. It would just be stupid to invite a cop without knowledge of the law to act in any way; and one must assume that all cops are ignorant of firearm law. Volunteering information is always the wrong thing to do when it comes to any dealings with law enforcement.

But it's not a bad idea to keep all firearms out of NY state anyway. It's just that sometimes it can't be helped. For instance, I have a CC permit in my state. When I cross the state line I'm no longer legal and need to unload it and obey the laws of the state in which I'm in. We're working on changing that to more along the lines of a drivers license. Get a permit in one state and you're good in all 50 states. Just because an upstanding citizen crosses the state line one shouldn't all of a sudden become a low life and give up the right of self defense. But that's a subject for another thread, not here.

32 6,445
 12-14-2014, 10:40 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Folks, this thread has been closed. Enough good information has been given to the original poster but this topic is best suited to other sites that may more directly deal with firearms. Thank you for your understanding.

2 11,211