12-15-2014, 10:13 AM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
Hi Gents: Hope all is well with you and your families. I'm relatively new to synthetic brushes. I have a TGCo brush which I like but do not like the "springy bounce" effect when I face and head lather. Do all synthetics give that "springy" effect?

I'm looking into an EJ synthetic and wanted to know your thoughts on yours. Also... any other suggestions on synthetics. Has your favorite synthetic replaced your boar, badger, and mixed brushes. On a side note...which vendor has the best price for an EJ synthetic.

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you all.

WARHAWK

12 333
 12-15-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
Mel,
The only synthetic I have not really experienced the 'springiness' is in the Plisson and the Edwin Jagger XL brushes. However, I am finding the EJ XL brushes to be better than the Plisson as the knots are much more dense and have a more comparable feel to badgers. The Plisson splays too much for my liking and it almost feels as though the glue-plug is rubbing against my face at times when face-lathering.
I am not trying to criticize this brush as I think it is brilliant for $30. However, I just prefer the EJ XL. Smile

83 21,113
 12-15-2014, 11:11 AM
User Info
(12-15-2014, 10:23 AM)celestino Wrote: Mel,
The only synthetic I have not really experienced the 'springiness' is in the Plisson and the Edwin Jagger XL brushes. However, I am finding the EJ XL brushes to be better than the Plisson as the knots are much more dense and have a more comparable feel to badgers. The Plisson splays too much for my liking and it almost feels as though the glue-plug is rubbing against my face at times when face-lathering.
I am not trying to criticize this brush as I think it is brilliant for $30. However, I just prefer the EJ XL. Smile

+1 , bullgoose/ Phil fast shipping[Image: a989ee0a64cbc0163211d82eee2025ea.jpg]

61 3,072
 12-15-2014, 11:13 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(12-15-2014, 10:23 AM)celestino Wrote: I am finding the EJ XL brushes to be better than the Plisson as the knots are much more dense and have a more comparable feel to badgers.

Same experience here. I only use synthetic brushes and the EJ XL is my favorite among them all.

28 1,449
 12-15-2014, 11:40 AM
User Info
I own several brushes in all prices ranges and the EJ/Muhle STFv2 is certainly my favorite at the moment. The XL is lovely and in my opinion a perfect size! Wink

28 349
 12-15-2014, 02:13 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
OMG!
Did this really happen? You recommend a Synthetic?
Biggrin

39 1,894
 12-15-2014, 03:33 PM
User Info
The EJ XL Synthetic is my preferred brush. They have really hit the sweet spot for me. A combination of a very soft, full knot with good backbone, minimal spring and a perfectly sized and weighted handle.

As with most things it took a bit to figure out the steps to get the optimum performance. Now I'm rewarded with a incredibly soft, quick drying no hassle face lathering machine!

[Image: z08X2cN.jpg]

4 954
 12-15-2014, 07:29 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Larry's post says it all. I used the EJ XL with the CRSW Spiced Amber this morning and am still amazed at the performance of this brush and I am comparing it to my Simpsons, Rooney's and Thaters. I can't believe I am saying this about a synthetic!

42 1,041
 12-15-2014, 07:32 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
EJ STF XL has displaced all other brushes in my den, and taken the title of No.1

102 18,669
 12-15-2014, 08:01 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(12-15-2014, 07:32 PM)Agravic Wrote: EJ STF XL has displaced all other brushes in my den, and taken the title of No.1

+1 As good as it gets!

38 5,198
 12-15-2014, 08:29 PM
User Info
(12-15-2014, 02:13 PM)German Wrote: OMG!
Did this really happen? You recommend a Synthetic?

Georg, he did ask for a recommendation! I have to be helpful and I can't resist trying brushes as they are my weakness! Biggrin

83 21,113
 12-15-2014, 09:50 PM
User Info

I'm 110% with you Celestino !

The Plissons are just too floppy for me for face lathering, and I have owned 6 of the original bought directly at Plisson. Only tested 2 of them. They both had that floppy feel, if I pressed to get the face massage, they splayed and sprinkled water and product on my mirror. If you have sensitive skin, and don't like a facial massage when you face lather, the Plisson is for you. If you enjoy exfoliating your beard and skin during the face lather, run away from the Plisson......because it's useless in this regard. I have sold all my Plisson brushes now.

The EJ XL is the best synthetic if you like a bit of massage when face lathering.
It's dense, it has a big nice solid handle. A great brush.
I sold all 3 of my EJ XL.
WHY ? Because nothing will beat a badger brush in face feel. NOTHING !
You just have to invest, to avoid the cheaper floppy Silvertip badgers and the harsh feeling Pure badgers.

I have sold most of my brushes now, I'm now down to 32 great prime badgers. I have problems trimming my collection further down. The ones I have are all 9/10 or better on my ranking list.

I'm looking into having Rudy Vey or Scott P. make me 48 mm lofted brush with hairs from not one, but one and a half Plisson brush, to get an enhanced facial feel from the Plisson Synthetic hairs in a more densely filled knot.

24 6,019
 12-15-2014, 09:59 PM
User Info
(12-15-2014, 09:50 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I'm looking into having Rudy Vey or Scott P. make me 48 mm lofted brush with hairs from not one, but one and a half Plisson brush, to get an enhanced facial feel from the Plisson Synthetic hairs in a more densely filled knot.

Incisively and bluntly stated, Claus! I would expect nothing more from you! Thumbup
However, I think the brush maker will have to use 3 or 4 Plisson knots to equal that EJ XL density! Biggrin

Good luck with experiment and I look forward to seeing the finished product!

83 21,113
 12-16-2014, 08:48 AM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
Thank you gents for your responses. Looks like the EJ brush will not disappoint. One more question... would the smaller version of the EJ such as the L perform just as good ss the XL?

WARHAWK

12 333
 12-16-2014, 08:57 AM
User Info
I think I have a 23mm one. Works fine but it won't make forget any of my badgers.

15 771
 12-16-2014, 08:58 AM
User Info
(12-16-2014, 08:48 AM)warhawk Wrote: Thank you gents for your responses. Looks like the EJ brush will not disappoint. One more question... would the smaller version of the EJ such as the L perform just as good ss the XL?

WARHAWK

Mel, I have only tried the XL, but I don't think the L is a dense as this one, so it may behave differently. I guess you could just get one XL and one L to see which you like best and sell the other! Biggrin

83 21,113
 12-16-2014, 09:43 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(12-16-2014, 08:58 AM)celestino Wrote: Mel, I have only tried the XL, but I don't think the L is a dense as this one, so it may behave differently. I guess you could just get one XL and one L to see which you like best and sell the other! Biggrin

+1...although I have not personally experienced this, I have heard this is the case. With the XL, EJ seems to have come up with the perfect combination of diameter, loft, and density to make the XL superior (IMO) to any other synthetics I have tried...by a wide margin.

34 1,627
 12-16-2014, 09:45 AM
User Info
I tried the 23mm Muhle version which is likely very similar to the EJ. Very springy and I did not care for it at all. The 25 mm is a much better brush.

46 489
 12-16-2014, 09:58 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
IMHO, THE benefit to a synthetic is the swift drying time.

However, that is not an issue in my den as there are plenty of badger brushes to allow for more than sufficient drying time between uses.

I may try another synthetic sometime, just to placate my curiosity, but at the moment, I don't envision anything more satisfying than a fine two band.

60 1,626
 12-16-2014, 11:03 AM
User Info
(12-16-2014, 09:58 AM)MaxP Wrote: I may try another synthetic sometime, just to placate my curiosity, but at the moment, I don't envision anything more satisfying than a fine two band.

Max, this is what Ravi used to say, but look at him, now! Biggrin

83 21,113