03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
This is the famous Musgo Real cream, produced by Ach. Brito which is one of the best-known companies for shaving and fragrance products in Portugal. Perhaps I should allow one of my Portuguese friends review this stuff, but I'll do my best to point out my findings.

Here we go:

Ease of lathering: 10/10--Tons of beautiful lather so easily.

Longevity of lather: 10/10--A pleasure. Great stability.

General skincare: 9/10--For me, very good. Moisturizes and protects well.

Scent: 9/10--Ah, I love it. Grassy, mossy, and barbershoppy.

Price: 8/10--Quite reasonable. Not hard on a tight budget.

Would I buy again: 10/10--Hell yeah - I bought it several times already.

This cream has a love/hate reputation because of the various reformulations that it's undergone. There are some guys who cannot bear the feeling of the lanolin on their skin, and Musgo is well-known for being a lanolin cream. For me, there is no problem - I find that the cream not only has a wonderful lather, and a great scent, the lanolin promotes an easy blade glide. Although officially this cream contains menthol, I cannot feel any cooling sensation during a shave - perhaps a little after I'm finished.

Attached Files Image(s)

3 2,562
 03-04-2012, 11:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is one of those cream that I wish I could use. I love the smell, the lather, and the comfort of the shave. But, there is something in the product that causes my face to burn and a rash develops. I do use their after shave lotion and balm.

173 23,546
 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(03-04-2012, 11:32 AM)Johnny Wrote: But, there is something in the product that causes my face to burn and a rash develops.

You and me both Johnny! It sets my face on fire. If you want to try a really nice Portuguese cream, I suggest Lavanda. The same great lathering without the irritation.

45 16,352
 03-04-2012, 11:49 AM
User Info
(03-04-2012, 11:40 AM)bullgoose Wrote:
(03-04-2012, 11:32 AM)Johnny Wrote: But, there is something in the product that causes my face to burn and a rash develops.

You and me both Johnny! It sets my face on fire. If you want to try a really nice Portuguese cream, I suggest Lavanda. The same great lathering without the irritation.

Me three. I do like their pre-shave oil quite a bit though.

2 546
 03-04-2012, 11:58 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Count me as another whose face is set aflame by Musgo. It's a shame too because it's a cheap good performing cream. I have noticed that while I love the scent of Mama Bear's stuff as well as the performace, it does the same thing to me.

116 3,804
 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I picked some of this up quite a while ago, and found it to be a great performer, but just couldn't hang with the scent. Ouch.
I checked it out again recently and it didn't bother me quite as much. I shall give it another go.

52 788
 03-05-2012, 12:29 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-04-2012, 09:18 PM)greyhawk Wrote: I picked some of this up quite a while ago, and found it to be a great performer, but just couldn't hang with the scent. Ouch.
I checked it out again recently and it didn't bother me quite as much. I shall give it another go.

If you dont like it,let me know and we can make a trade.

I simply LOVE this cream.For me its scent its better than the other portuguese ones but Lavanda.

86 7,123
 03-05-2012, 01:07 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Love Musgo Real cream. Love the lather. Love the scent. Love the A/S too! (Hate their lime soap though!) Nil irritation issues for me with this cream, but I recently received some Lavanda from Phil and am looking forward to trying it soon. (Just wish I had the Lavanda A/S too - damn US shipping restrictions!!!)

91 17,856
 03-05-2012, 10:13 AM
  • function
  • lavendarian
  • Houston, Texas, US
User Info
This cream was my first proper cream and I still love it even after meeting the 3Ts and many other great ones. The scent seems minimal to me and the performance great. Now I need to get more.

0 18