12-15-2014, 12:14 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
My mind has somehow combined them, as I've never tried any product from either. But I do hear great things, I "think" about both, but not sure.
What are your thoughts about these 2 artisans?

Shoot, I meant QCS.
SEE WHAT I MEAN!?!? Haha!!

62 3,010
 12-15-2014, 03:29 PM
User Info
Theres none better then Saint Charles Shave

0 17
 12-15-2014, 04:41 PM
User Info
I love QCS soaps. All are great performers as well as their balms. Their scents are fantastic! Only tried one SCS. Great performance but the scent was overbearing.

148 3,600
 12-15-2014, 08:26 PM
User Info
I had confused the two at first as well. Must be something to do with them both being around for quite some time and the Initials thing.

I personally like SCS very much. My favorite being the Fairway scent. I placed an order for the "Limited" Soap & Aftershave just today, with a note to Wendy to upsize the aftershave to a 4oz bottle! The performance was as good (perhaps even better) as many "top" soaps that I have in my shave den and Wendy is great to work with if you have questions or want to change anything from what is listed on her website.

1 71
 12-16-2014, 01:28 AM
User Info
QCS creams are croaps and they are my favorite hardware. While I enjoy the scents they are strong and that is the way I like them. IMHO QCS is the best performer with very hot water in my scuttle. It is my go to when I want to use an aggressive razor or go for that 4 pass BBS shave.

I tried most of the big names but the slickness and cushion from QCS is the best. That being said I think water has a huge impact on a soaps performance. Here are my other tops but not better than QCS for quality of shave and after feeling, MdC, Castle Forbes, Strop Shop and Mike's.

24 229
 12-17-2014, 05:21 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Thanks for reminding me of these artisan makers. I need to get a sample pack from QCS.

Do we know how the SCS soaps are created? Are they melt and pour? They seem to have been around for a very long time.

17 447
 12-17-2014, 09:04 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(12-17-2014, 05:21 AM)Lando Wrote: Thanks for reminding me of these artisan makers. I need to get a sample pack from QCS.

Do we know how the SCS soaps are created? Are they melt and pour? They seem to have been around for a very long time.

QCS was my first artisan soap that I fell in love with. My stash is sadly lacking any of their products, but that will be remedied shortly.

SCS is one that I have not tried, but the ingredients list doesn't seem that appealing to me. From their website:

Shave Soap: Aqua; Glycerin; Sodium Stearate; Sorbitol; Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate; (Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (and) Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil) and Camellia Sinensis Leaf; Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES); Stearic Acid; Methylcellulose; Lauric Acid Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate; Sodium Chloride; Bentonite; Propylene; Phenoxyethanol; Glycol; ; Sodium Chloride; Parabens (Methyl, Ethyl, Propyl, Butyl, Isobutyl); Tetrasodium EDTA; Fragrance from Essential Oil and/or Fragrance Oil; no added color unless noted separately.

SCS Shave Soap Cakes: Aqua; Glycerin; Sodium Stearate; Sorbitol; Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate; Sodium Laureth Sulphate (SLES); Stearic Acid; Lauric Acid Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate; Sodium Chloride; Bentonite; Propylene; Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil; Phenoxyethanol; Kaolin; Glycol; Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil; Sodium Chloride; Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil; Parabens (Methyl, Ethyl, Propyl, Butyl, Isobutyl); Tetrasodium EDTA; Titanium Dioxide; Fragrance from Essential Oil and/or Fragrance Oil; no added color.

149 2,823
 12-20-2014, 07:15 PM
User Info
I have used both extensively. Both are great soaps but it depends on what your preference is when you are shopping.

QCS you can tell was made in a traditional cold process method. The ingredients are more "natural" as are their scents and EOs. The pucks and tubs are 4 oz or larger and you can get it in the plastic tubs or individually wrapped pucks (that fit perfectly in their container) The slightly higher price reflects the amount you recieve.

SCS is a little less "natural" I believe Sue designed her soaps in an era when us consumers werent interested in a minimalist of ingredients while expecting maximum performance as we are these days. So you will find more ingredients in her soaps, more reminiscent of the 70s and 80s. Her soaps remind me of a hot process soap poured in a mold. They do look like melt and pour but am sure they are not. SCS soap is less sensitive to water temp and hardness. You will always get a good lather. SCS soap comes as a 3.25-3.5 oz soap. It is in a small conical shape. (think muffin shape) They do offer their soaps in a small tin but there is alot of "air space" in there so not quite suited for lathering use. My belief is when Sue began making her soap she settled on this shape/size mold as she believed men would just drop it in the OS mug and lather up. I will testify its a perfect fit. SCS does alot of in-house prep work also. I read somewhere that Wendy had some sandalwood soaking in preparation for distillation to extract the EO herself. Wendy has a wealth of knowledge in cosmetics and perfumery as shown in their ASL, balms, and LE soaps.

So like I said, performance of the soaps isnt really in question, it's more what you are looking for as a consumer and your preferences in soap construction.

8 169