12-15-2014, 02:23 PM
User Info
I thought I would post a chili recipe that is totally different than what you probably make and eat now. It has no tomatoes or beans in the sauce. It's a very traditional old way of making chili. The finished product has a very bold beef and pepper flavor. Not for the timid. It's not a hot recipe but a little spicy, so feel free to add some jalapeno or habanero pepper's while cooking. Here's my rendition:

Texas Red Chili
Serves about 4
Ingredients:
2 to 3 ounces, whole chili’s-guajilla, pasilla or ancho. About 8 chilies total.
2 pounds(after being trimmed) of Beef Chuck or Tri-Tip cut into ¾ inch pieces
1-1/2 tablespoon of cumin
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-1/2 finely chopped onion. Food processor works well to get the onion extremely fine
6 finely diced large cloves of garlic(put this in the processor with the onions)
1 can of low-sodium beef broth
1/2 can of low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon of packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons of Masa Harina(fine corn flour)
1-1/2 tablespoons of white distilled vinegar
Pinch of Mexican Oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste
Prep:
1. Place the chilies in a hot skillet and toast both sides over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Don’t let them burn or they’ll turn the chili very bitter. Place in a bowl of very hot water until soft. Approx. 45 minutes. Save the pepper water for later.
2. Drain the chilies. Remove stem and rinse seeds off being careful not to wash away flesh. Place chilies into blender or food processer with cumin, the pinch of Mexican oregano, pinch of pepper and salt, ¼ cup of pepper water. Blend until it is completely smooth like ketchup.  Strain the chili sauce to remove any left over seeds or chili skins. Set aside.
3. Heat enamel coated Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add 1tbls of vegetable oil until it starts to shimmer. Add beef, don’t crowd, move or stir around. This process takes 3 or 4 batches. Add vegetable oil between batches. Brown on all sides and remove to separate bowl.
4. Dice beef pieces into very small ¼” sizes.  
5. Add the diced onions and garlic to the same pot where you browned the beef. cook for about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Scrape all brown(fond) off the bottom of pot as onion cooks. The fond has a lot of flavor. Add the stock and the pepper paste. Whisk in the Masa Harina slowly to avoid lumps. Add beef. Bring to a boil then cut heat back to very low heat where only a few bubbles breaking the surface. Water or chicken stock maybe added if it becomes too thick. Cook low and slow for about 2 hours. Stir often to make sure it is not burning.
6. Stir in the brown sugar and vinegar and salt & pepper to taste. Gently simmer for another 10 minutes.  Turn off heat and let stand stand for about 30 minutes to allow beef to absorb sauce.
7. Serve with lime wedges.

Guajillo and Ancho peppers
[Image: m7cgMls.jpg]
3/4" beef pieces
[Image: l9fo4EG.jpg]
Minced beef
[Image: InfqHxs.jpg]
Masa
[Image: SHNlMLo.jpg]
All in the pot
[Image: g1xu40k.jpg]
Eatin Time
[Image: u6R3IHd.jpg]

0 1,007
 12-15-2014, 02:40 PM
User Info
Good looking dish. That's a nice recipe Aaron.

At the start of the year, I am planning on coming up with my own chili recipe. I've been needing to come up with it for awhile, now.

1 1,975
 12-15-2014, 02:58 PM
User Info
(12-15-2014, 02:40 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: Good looking dish. That's a nice recipe Aaron.

At the start of the year, I am planning on coming up with my own chili recipe. I've been needing to come up with it for awhile, now.

Thanks Bryan. This is a traditional chili recipe that goes back a long time. It has no beans or tomatoes. I have made the tomato based recipes many times, and they are really good, but this is in a different league. It's a very bold tasting chili. Lots of beef and chili flavors happening. The wife added a dollop of Greek yogurt in her bowl(not bad). The secret is in the pick of dried chilies. There are many championship chili websites that will include recipes. I find that most of them are granulation dumps. There must be something to them if they are winning competitions, but I'm not sold.

0 1,007
 12-15-2014, 03:17 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Okay, that's it Aaron! Angry I am catching the next flight to Austin and am going to be sitting on your doorstep begging for food! Biggrin

I have only had tomato based chili but must admit that yours look scrumptious! Thumbsup

2 11,211
 12-15-2014, 03:34 PM
User Info
And see, that's good. I'm not the biggest tomato person. I eat them, but if I could work around them, I'll be sure to do it.

I'll be doing something rather similar. I like the idea of real great chilies and lots of meat, rather than beans.

1 1,975
 12-15-2014, 04:14 PM
User Info
(12-15-2014, 03:17 PM)freddy Wrote: Okay, that's it Aaron! Angry I am catching the next flight to Austin and am going to be sitting on your doorstep begging for food! Biggrin

I have only had tomato based chili but must admit that yours look scrumptious! Thumbsup

I'll set up the guest room with fresh sheets. Biggrin

(12-15-2014, 03:34 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: And see, that's good. I'm not the biggest tomato person. I eat them, but if I could work around them, I'll be sure to do it.

I'll be doing something rather similar. I like the idea of real great chilies and lots of meat, rather than beans.

Tweak my recipe and make it your own. You could change the cut of beef or even the type of chili. The world is your oyster.

0 1,007
 12-15-2014, 05:40 PM
User Info
Hmmm...I have some tri-tip in the freezer that needs a good use. Sounds good

31 1,800
 12-15-2014, 05:51 PM
User Info
(12-15-2014, 05:40 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: Hmmm...I have some tri-tip in the freezer that needs a good use. Sounds good

Hey Mike, yeah I had the Tri-tip in my hand at the supermarket until I looked at the price compared to the beef chuck. For the price of T-T I could buy sirloin.

One other thing I didn't mention in the recipe...Bacon. Just brown it with the beef and dice it up like in the picture.

0 1,007
 12-15-2014, 09:23 PM
  • Chris24
  • New Zealand
User Info
Great looking Chili Aaron. I'll give it a go with some boneless short ribs. I think it will be just after Christmas, I love a Chili in Summer Biggrin

0 276
 12-16-2014, 04:06 AM
User Info
(12-15-2014, 05:51 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Hey Mike, yeah I had the Tri-tip in my hand at the supermarket until I looked at the price compared to the beef chuck. For the price of T-T I could buy sirloin.

My local Sams actually cuts up their TT into strips rather than the standard full TT roast. It is perfect for stews, etc. I don't recall the price per lb, but definitely less than a TT roast.

31 1,800
 12-16-2014, 04:47 AM
User Info
(12-15-2014, 09:23 PM)Chris24 Wrote: Great looking Chili Aaron. I'll give it a go with some boneless short ribs. I think it will be just after Christmas, I love a Chili in Summer Biggrin

Are you going to trim the meat off the bone before cooking? Consider leaving it on the bone, braise it the chili sauce, remove the ribs, then mince it up and then throw it back in sauce.

(12-16-2014, 04:06 AM)Bowhnter Wrote:
(12-15-2014, 05:51 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Hey Mike, yeah I had the Tri-tip in my hand at the supermarket until I looked at the price compared to the beef chuck. For the price of T-T I could buy sirloin.

My local Sams actually cuts up their TT into strips rather than the standard full TT roast. It is perfect for stews, etc. I don't recall the price per lb, but definitely less than a TT roast.

It's so hard not using one for stews or chili, etc. It just always looks like a nice lean cut of beef.

0 1,007
 12-16-2014, 07:06 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
That sounds and looks positively outstanding; I'll be giving it a try. When I lived in Texas I developed a fine appreciation for real red chili, i.e. there are no beans in real chili, per Judge Roy BeanBiggrin

5 882
 12-16-2014, 07:33 AM
User Info
(12-16-2014, 07:06 AM)Rufus Wrote: That sounds and looks positively outstanding; I'll be giving it a try. When I lived in Texas I developed a fine appreciation for real red chili, i.e. there are no beans in real chili, per Judge Roy BeanBiggrin

Thanks Bryan. It's pretty easy to make. It will mess up the kitchen though. Here is a picture of dried chilies.

Guajillo and Ancho chili's. Guajillo in the top bin. I prefer the guajillo..they are sweeter.
[Image: 8ZIFKmu.jpg]

Judge Roy Bean was pretty smart. Here's a picture of his saloon/courtroom.

[Image: NEDErHV.jpg]

0 1,007
 12-16-2014, 10:37 AM
User Info
Great picture Aaron!

1 1,975
 12-16-2014, 11:44 AM
User Info
Lovely, Aaron!

82 21,056
 12-16-2014, 11:44 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Great photo, Aaron. Are you with your mom and dad there?

2 11,211
 12-16-2014, 01:15 PM
User Info
(12-16-2014, 11:44 AM)freddy Wrote: Great photo, Aaron. Are you with your mom and dad there?

Thanks Guys. Yeah, that's Mom and Dad. Picture taken 2002 in Langtry, Texas. The town was named after the Actress Lillie Langtry. The Judge was in love with her and wrote her many letters. The town is right on the Border with Mexico and sits just a 100 yards from the Rio Grande. Beautiful Rugged country. On the way back to Austin we stopped in Brackettville and visited a replica of San Antonio and the Alamo where it was filmed by John Wayne. The old fort mission was to scale. Very cool.

0 1,007
 12-17-2014, 12:10 AM
User Info
That sounds like a really fun time, Aaron.

1 1,975
 12-19-2014, 04:59 AM
User Info
It should be a big cooking day for Chris. Let's see that bowl of Red!! No pressure, no pressure.

0 1,007
 12-19-2014, 05:23 AM
User Info
Fantastic looking and making me hungry.

119 13,010