12-16-2014, 01:08 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
This arrived today, just in time for my forthcoming birthday Smile

[Image: A4ggf23.jpg]
[Image: b4VK1rH.jpg]

This is my restoration, including new pin in lid (amazingly my idea worked straight off and well); now in perfect working order. Brasso on bakelite to bring back to high gloss and to show detail of bakelite patterning (try it: it works). Metal polish to nickel plating to bring back to good sheen; no brassing on set.

Oddity, though, is the rattle of the base plate when it is assembled, but fortunately this does not happen with a blade in. The blades are not dated correctly (I have many packs still in cellophane) but it looks the part, I reckon.

I am not sure why Gillette went from Fat Handle to Thin. Metal shortage, i.e. war? or was it just a cheaper set? Whatever, these razors shave very well indeed (I have another, but the box is cracked and broken). From what I understand, the Thin Handle Tech is rarer that the Fat. I have only ever seen "Made in England" Thin Handles. Anyone seen anything different?

0 1,733
 12-16-2014, 11:26 AM
User Info
Congratulations and enjoy your birthday when it arrives. Smile

82 21,056
 12-16-2014, 11:48 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Here's the 'before' shot:

[Image: dwxrXZp.jpg]

0 1,733
 12-16-2014, 12:07 PM
User Info
Great razor Shaun! I do enjoy all the old Gillette's. And that case is very manly!

1 1,975
 12-16-2014, 04:38 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
That's turned out to be a very nice razor Shaun. Smile

It's not clear why Thin handled razors were produced but Gillette produced three styles of them in the UK (one for a NEW and two for the Tech) - they all look very similar but are slightly different as the photo below hopefully shows:

[Image: 572A0928-3733-431E-880C-39BE9C045F7B_zpsyk4ohlzf.jpg]

Left - NEW handle
Middle - standard Thin handle
Bottom - Longer Thin handle

Incidentally, the British Fat handle also came in three variants (in the case of Tech's) and each is different to the U.S. Fat handle.

These photos below should show the differences:

[Image: 70143D8F-BF7C-40D5-874B-73CCD8D6419E_zpsrrqitn2e.jpg]
Left - Hollow handle
Middle - Rhodium-plated Hybrid Tech handle
Right - Standard Fat handle

[Image: 81F4D38E-B1A6-4A21-BB0B-49BB3BB14F74_zpsfiondmha.jpg]
Top - Hollow handle
Middle - Rhodium-plated Hybrid Tech handle
Bottom - Standard British Fat handle

The Rhodium-plated Hybrid Tech handle differs very, very slightly from the standard British Fat handle. It is very slightly longer by around 1mm or so and has some small differences in the neck area of the handle (this could be due to manufacturing tolerances though as I've seen similar differences in various NEW Service Set handles).

The photo below shows the differences I've alluded to above (I've placed both handles along the edge of a Tech bottom plate to ensure they are both level and the Hybrid Tech handle is on the right).

[Image: BE63753F-D479-4D43-903C-DDBC40275942_zps76tzfaxw.jpg]

I hope this is helpful.

Have a great Birthday. Smile

33 645
 12-16-2014, 06:36 PM
User Info
this is a great comparence of handles - very good!

7 1,624
 12-16-2014, 11:13 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Quote: "That's turned out to be a very nice razor Shaun. Smile

It's not clear why Thin handled razors were produced but Gillette produced three styles of them in the UK (one for a NEW and two for the Tech) - they all look very similar but are slightly different as the photo below hopefully shows..."

This is very interesting indeed. Clearly, you're a bit of an archivist, as I am. Mostly I post here, not just to share, but to document and supplement existing information. It's fascinating. I hadn't realised there were such variants, although I did suspect the hybrid handle might be different. I want a hybrid, but the sell for a lot of $$$. The Australian dollar is down against the US dollar and british pound which restricts purchases ( probably a good thing Smile ) but also the US postal is nothing short of exorbitant.

Thanks for the post, wonderful read.

0 1,733
 12-17-2014, 12:38 PM
User Info
Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures and the explanations. I really appreciate the effort.Biggrin

2 1,397