12-17-2014, 06:41 AM
User Info
Can someone please explain to me this recent insistence by artisans to create signature soaps? What I think was a nice gesture at first by Joe from RazoRock, has recently turned into an obnoxious trend. I think it is unfair to a majority of the customers who spend 100's of dollars with these vendors, and receive little or no recognition. I work hard for my money, and put a lot more effort into my job than the amount of time it takes to record a 5 minute YouTube video, that's for sure. I think these signature soaps emphasize and encourage shilling within the community, something we can all agree is not helpful. I am of the school of thought that a good product ought to speak for itself. It's one thing to post a written or video review, and the entire community appreciates them as somewhat of a guiding light. But if you think I'm buying your soap because of the guy that you put on the label, think again. Especially if it someone who points a loaded gun at a video camera. These are the guys you want representing your brand? I really think this trend should end as soon as possible. It would be much appreciated.

P.S. I mean absolutely no offense to any YouTube reviewers, vendors, or artisans. This is just a point of view, and is certainly up for discussion.

63 1,720
 12-17-2014, 06:42 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I wish I had more to say than just +1, but...

+1

22 828
 12-17-2014, 06:43 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I think I missed something

17 439
 12-17-2014, 06:44 AM
User Info
(12-17-2014, 06:43 AM)Lando Wrote: I think I missed something

You might be better off in this case

63 1,720
 12-17-2014, 07:05 AM
User Info
Agree..+1

3 742
 12-17-2014, 07:28 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
To be fair, I enjoy having some choice in the scent of the soap, but I dislike the limited release, immediately sold out, impossible to ever make again type soaps.

I think, apart from a few truly "special release" soaps, I wish vendors would try to avoid releasing a new soap unless they plan to make it a regular item. I would rather not get attached to a soap, only to find it impossible to get two months later.

MWF has been unchanged for, like, a thousand years. I know that if I can get a good lather from MWF, I'll be able to get a good lather from it next year, next month, next decade.

I know part of it is just the genuine excitement that vendors have for making new products, and the excitement that people have to review them. It's cool that traditional shaving has such a fan base that people feel compelled to invest the time to do all the video reviews. But what good does it do me if I know that the "September Special" soap is really awesome if a) I only have a ten-minute window to purchase it, and b) I'll never be able to purchase it again. Even if it's available next September, it'll likely be a different soap.

I have to admit, I got caught up in some of the hype, but I'm currently working through the last of my RazoRocktober 2014, (which is a really phenomenal soap, BTW) and when that's gone, I'm sticking to soaps that have been readily available for at least a year.

22 828
 12-17-2014, 07:31 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Soaps being named after ardent supporters and fans .. definitely an odd phenomenon that raises questions, IMO.

102 18,652
 12-17-2014, 07:32 AM
User Info
Who cares what a soap scent is called? In the immortal words of Mr. Kruger, "I'm not that worried about it, George."

Now, the idea of releasing soap scents in small numbers for exorbitant prices I find kind of annoying.

But naming a soap after an admirer, YouTube or otherwise, who cares?

2 1,460
 12-17-2014, 07:34 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(12-17-2014, 07:32 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Who cares what a soap scent is called? In the immortal words of Mr. Kruger, "I'm not that worried about it, George."

Now, the idea of releasing soap scents in small numbers for exorbitant prices I find kind of annoying.

To be fair to Joe, RazoRock soaps are always very generously priced. I don't have a problem with his pricing in the least, and he doesn't seem to be trying to rake his fans over the coals. He genuinely loves shaving, and wants to keep making new things. I get that. I just wish I hadn't gotten attached to some of the limited editions that aren't going to be available again.

22 828
 12-17-2014, 07:36 AM
User Info
(12-17-2014, 07:32 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Who cares what a soap scent is called? In the immortal words of Mr. Kruger, "I'm not that worried about it, George."

Me - that's why I posted this thread.

63 1,720
 12-17-2014, 07:36 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
(12-17-2014, 07:36 AM)NSmalls Wrote: Me - that's why I posted this thread.

LOL. I love your style, Nick!

22 828
 12-17-2014, 07:44 AM
User Info
i would like to know what is meant by 'signature soap'. can someone elaborate without a snarky remark? Confused

7 1,624
 12-17-2014, 07:45 AM
User Info
(12-17-2014, 07:44 AM)tonsorius Wrote: i would like to know what is meant by 'signature soap'. can someone elaborate without a snarky remark? Confused

Sure. Think about Michael Jordan and the Air Jordan line of shoes. Now replace Michael Jordan with wet shaving YouTube personalities and the shoes with shaving soaps.

63 1,720
 12-17-2014, 07:50 AM
User Info
thanks. however, i have never seen or heard of such soaps.

7 1,624
 12-17-2014, 07:50 AM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I have tried a large number of Artisan soaps and was disappointed more times than not. Right now I am sticking with more traditional products.

48 679
 12-17-2014, 08:23 AM
User Info
(12-17-2014, 07:50 AM)tonsorius Wrote: thanks. however, i have never seen or heard of such soaps.

+1 By the sound of it, I haven't missed out on much either. But then again, the only online "Wet Shaving Personalities" I'll pay much attention to is y'all here on the 'nook Wink

3 4,495
 12-17-2014, 08:29 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I think it is brilliant marketing. It doesn't effect me as I don't watch video reviews, nor do I pay attention to the hype given to the flavor of the month item. However, it is truly effective as evident by the speed with which these products sell and the volume of customers that post about their experiences with the products. I have learned that I should follow my own preferences and purchase items that intrigue me rather than follow the latest trend. I do own The Freedburg soap and splash, but only because I know I like RazoRock soaps and the Aventus scent. I passed on Tight Buns and whatever else is out there named after customers (these two were the only I was aware of).

BTW, when I was younger all I wanted was Air Jordans and didn't understand why my parents refused to pay four times more for shoes that were cool. They had Air Jordan on them, they have to be four times better!

144 2,752
 12-17-2014, 08:45 AM
  • jb74
  • Ireland
User Info
Just stick your own photo and cool name on your soap jar and live the dream baby!!!

0 136
 12-17-2014, 08:51 AM
User Info
I've been turned off by some of the youtubers as of late, as they are now routinely giving shouts out to each other and back slapping each other over jobs well done. It's starting to feel like a good old boys club or something. These soaps that are done in their honor only exasperate the feeling for me. I'm not interested in that, so I've started to tune out. There are still a few that continue to focus on what I really care about - shaving and shaving products - without throwing props out to their online buddies.

My two cents.

16 249
 12-17-2014, 08:58 AM
  • jb74
  • Ireland
User Info
(12-17-2014, 08:51 AM)shakermaker41 Wrote: I've been turned off by some of the youtubers as of late, as they are now routinely giving shouts out to each other and back slapping each other over jobs well done. It's starting to feel like a good old boys club or something. These soaps that are done in their honor only exasperate the feeling for me. I'm not interested in that, so I've started to tune out. There are still a few that continue to focus on what I really care about - shaving and shaving products - without throwing props out to their online buddies.

My two cents.

I actually agree, not to the point where I'd describe it as 'obnoxious' (as per post #1) as it's maybe too strong a word for me to describe this. But there's definitely a small part of me that would resent the idea of an elitist crew being worshiped and honored. There's also a small part of me that thinks it's actually a bit dorky... trying to be some sort of Wet Shave God... as if shaving and shave-gods was really a worthy thing for us mere mortals to be worshiping anyway.

I always was a one man wolf pack myself... #Howl :-)

0 136