12-17-2014, 08:31 AM
User Info
Why do we(not all) think that Christmas dinner has to be turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes and stuffing. Didn't we just have all that at Thanksgiving? I'm sure some of you guys are still working on the leftovers.

Let's think outside the box this year. Why can't it be a shrimp boil? How about Italian?

I challenge you to make something else...but what will it be?

0 1,007
 12-17-2014, 08:46 AM
User Info
We always have a big meal Christmas Eve and a bigger meal on Christmas Day.

Our Eve meal is Italian - either lasagna or stuffed shells. We have been doing that for 26 years. I guess it qualifies as a tradition.

Christmas Day is always fancy but never turkey. We have had over the years:
Goose
Duck
Basil Shrimp
Pheasant
Tur-ducken (twice)
Fish fillets
Crown pork roast
Good steaks

Our nod toward tradition is I always make my Dad's sausage stuffing. Yes even with the basil shrimpSmile

Last year we had another crown pork roast. You can see it in the right hand side of this pic.
[Image: 7rzNKNV.jpg]

It is a cinch to cook, makes an excellent presentation and tastes wonderful.

We will have it again this year. Or maybe a beef tenderloin, or maybe ....

Phil

7 363
 12-17-2014, 08:52 AM
User Info
Phil, now we're talking. Did you put stuffing inside the crown?

I'm thinking this:

[Image: UW1nA4u.jpg]

0 1,007
 12-17-2014, 09:01 AM
User Info
[quote='DoctorShaveGood' pid='475760' dateline='1418835122']
Phil, now we're talking. Did you put stuffing inside the crown?

I'm thinking this:

Aaron,
Looks good. Pork tenderloins are easy to prepare, cook in a short time and taste great. And not overly expensive up here.

The first time I put the stuffing in the crown. But the cavity is so small that even covered with foil the stuffing dried out. So now I bake it in a casserole dish.

Phil

7 363
 12-17-2014, 09:05 AM
User Info
Our family is one of those that basically "re-does" the Thanksgiving dinner for Christmas. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, some green beans, blah, blah, blah. The way its "always been done." Last year I decided to cook a prime rib and add it to the menu, and it was a huge hit. This year my sister and husband are going to make some potatoes au gratin (I had suggested some jalapenos in there, but they don't want to "shock the conscience" too much!). And my wife will be making some roasted root vegetables and brussel sprouts. Slowly but surely we are updating the menu.

84 1,505
 12-17-2014, 09:21 AM
User Info
(12-17-2014, 09:05 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Our family is one of those that basically "re-does" the Thanksgiving dinner for Christmas. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, some green beans, blah, blah, blah. The way its "always been done." Last year I decided to cook a prime rib and add it to the menu, and it was a huge hit. This year my sister and husband are going to make some potatoes au gratin (I had suggested some jalapenos in there, but they don't want to "shock the conscience" too much!). And my wife will be making some roasted root vegetables and brussel sprouts. Slowly but surely we are updating the menu.

Oooh...now you've got my wheels turning. I think an au graten is a perfect choice. My wife made one last month for her Thanksgiving party, it was a big hit. Check it out:

[Image: ZAwbdJb.jpg]

and what was left for me.

[Image: wwa2E7U.jpg]

0 1,007
 12-17-2014, 09:29 AM
User Info
Traditionally our Christmas day meal is a Beef rib roast and will be this year too. It's unknown yet what we'll have with it. But the roast is in the shop refrigerator thawing.

32 6,470
 12-17-2014, 11:39 AM
User Info
My family is large, there are about 20 of us at Christmas, and long ago we decided that the cost factor for a turkey/ham/roast beef dinner was a bit much. So we have gone simple with our menu.

We put together the fixing's for a Taco/Burrito buffet. We cook up a large pot of spiced ground meat, a large pot of refiried beans, lay out all the trimmings and shells. Then we tell the family to help themselves.

Lots easier, everyone likes it and nobody goes away hungry. A fine time is had by all.

4 952
 12-17-2014, 11:51 AM
User Info
I'll be posting what me and my wife will be making. I'll be on the grill and my iTALIAn wife will putting it down in the kitchen.

-Ribs
-Smoked Sausage
-Scallop Potatoes (from scratch)
-Asparagus Bacon Wraps (grilled)
-Corn on the cob

yeah, that's just the beginning right now...

1 1,975
 12-17-2014, 12:04 PM
User Info
i'm a traditionalist so always make the same for christmas eve.

actually every meal, from 23-31 december, is pretty much fixed.

23: risotto with porcini
24: canard à l'orange.
25: codfish
31: reindeer tenderloin

everything in between will be different game birds from the forests of my neighborhood.

[Image: SCjBn4V.jpg]

7 1,624
 12-17-2014, 12:31 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Guys, I do not celebrate Christmas, however, I do understand the universality of a special family and friends holiday and the warmth that goes with it. Just the recipes you are displaying here brings out the best in family and friends. With that in mind, I hope you won't mind if I include a recipe for a side dish that I have made in the past and shared with others. I got this from the Toledo Blade when I lived in Toledo, Ohio about forty years ago. It does use a can of cream of mushroom soup so if that isn't to your liking then I apologize. Unfortunately, unlike a lot of you, I am not a particularly good cook and need all the help I can get. Sad Anyway, here is the recipe for Baked Broccoli:

[Image: skjddJJ.png]

2 11,211
 12-17-2014, 12:59 PM
User Info
sounds delicious freddy, have to try this [Image: MMrFPcQ.jpg]

7 1,624
 12-19-2014, 07:35 AM
User Info
Our house is always the same for Xmas

Aged Prime Rib
Twice Baked Potatoes
Asparagus with bernaise
Creamed horseradish
Au Jus
Hard sourdough rolls
Baby Romaine salad with grape tomatoes and candied pecans in an Apple Cider vinaigrette

Apple, Blackberry pies served a la mode upon request
Pecan praline cheesecake

This years meal is paired with a 2007 Peju Provence Cab Franc

The wine has changed from year to year but is generally a Napa Valley Cab

The meal has been the same now for 13 years...

0 16
 12-19-2014, 07:53 AM
User Info
(12-19-2014, 07:35 AM)christopher.boyd. Wrote: Our house is always the same for Xmas

Aged Prime Rib
Twice Baked Potatoes
Asparagus with bernaise
Creamed horseradish
Au Jus
Hard sourdough rolls
Baby Romaine salad with grape tomatoes and candied pecans in an Apple Cider vinaigrette

Apple, Blackberry pies served a la mode upon request
Pecan praline cheesecake

This years meal is paired with a 2007 Peju Provence Cab Franc

The wine has changed from year to year but is generally a Napa Valley Cab

The meal has been the same now for 13 years...

Christopher,
So au jus for dipping? Also, I love horseradish on my steaks...great idea.

0 1,007
 12-19-2014, 02:19 PM
User Info
Cooking a full traditional Christmas turkey dinner was rather a lot to handle in addition to the other chaos of a family Christmas so we decided to cook in advance and serve it differently:

Turkey and ham pie, with stuffing balls and a hint of cranberry
Potato and parsnip croquettes
Brussels sprouts and carrots in a cheese sauce

Delicious harmony. Any other suggestions for re-constructed Christmas dinner?

0 19
 12-19-2014, 10:50 PM
User Info
Correction for us.

The rib roast will happen, we just don't know when; sometime near Christmas for sure. The day before or after. Another couple without family plans contacted us and we'll probably wind up attending the public dinner held in a nearby town along with them. Typically it's turkey and ham with the fixin's.

Here's info <<<<<<<<<<< Click here

After dinner we'll retire to our home for adult beverages and a movie. At least that's what's planned at this time. We'll have made Irish Cream, Pomegranate cordial (on steroids), apple pie moonshine, and I don't know what else at this time.

32 6,470
 12-20-2014, 12:40 AM
User Info
Au Jus on the side, creamed horseradish for all who choose to partake....

Father outlaw smothers his... i usually take a small dollop and share it on the 2x baked potato...

YMMV

0 16
 12-20-2014, 04:19 AM
User Info
We are also doing the turkey, stuffing, mash potatoes, etc.. at my parents and then a few days later my wife is having her entire family over for the same thing at our house.

Ahhhhhhhh. I don't mind the same food its the 15 or so people(nieces,nephews ,boyfriends, girlfriends, brother in law's girlfriend, her daughter, her son, daughter's kid, daughters boyfriend, son's girlfriend) that my brother in law brings over to our small house that makes me santa claustrophobic.
Helppppppp:s:s:s:s

And Merry Christmas everyone.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

0 862
 12-20-2014, 05:01 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
I love this thread! We'll have a spiral ham, and assorted sides, including the au gratin potatoes. Paired with some California Cab's and solid Champagne. Merry Christmas all

19 753
 12-20-2014, 08:45 AM
User Info
My wife and I did our Christmas a couple days ago as I'm now in Kauai and she's heading to ND for Christmas. (Who won that deal?)

We had a Prime Rib with the rest of the fixings, but the last few years we've been doing our mashed potatoes a bit different thanks to our Canadian friends.

It's 50% sweet potato and 50% russet. I cook them separately because of the cook times and then mash (vitamix) the sweets to perfectly smooth, with the russet slightly chunky. Add the usual butter, cheese, salt, garlic/ whatever and you've got a great potato dish.

As you're all aware, potatoes come in a rainbow of colors, so substituting yams or colored potatoes make it a very colorful dish as well. Happy Holidays everyone!

3 202