12-17-2014, 02:39 PM
User Info
Friends, I want to introduce a personal project that began in November 2013 and after a year, in November of 2014 has seen the light thanks to five friends. You know that I really like this type of brush handles. Barber brushes. Just over a year now showing my purchases of old brushes and my restorations. At first many people said they were very long. But now I see that more and more people are in love with barber brushes. I like it. I know how to restore or set a knot in them to make them easy to use even for face lathering, as I do. My restorations gave me this expertise, being able to touch many different barber brushes.

So I show these brushes that have been the result of my desire, and lots of money.

[Image: Imagen%25201343.jpg]

BSB - Barcelona Shaving Brushes

The handle is one piece. The colored O-ring is a cosmetic issue.
Made of aluminum. Polished and finished by hand. Will need a gentle cleaning from time to time, when tarnish, with soft cream or metal polish and a cloth, like all polished metals, and will shine like new.
85 grams aprox. 25 mm hole to install a knot 24 mm.

Please take note that this brush is not an original Rubberset 400. Its value is different. It is lovely too, but humbly I have to say that's not an original old brush. I tried to respect it, although there are some subtle differences.
One is that it is a one piece brush.
Another, the colored O-ring, that the original one does not carry.
And the weight. This is heavier, to give it more stability when standing, wet and full of lather.

My personal expertise in restoring the finest barber brushes in the world, has helped me to make my re-interpretation of this model that I love and is not in production. But now everyone can have a BSB. In modern aluminum, no casting bubbles, no high lead content. Machined on a CNC lathe, after many prototypes destroyed, following my personal indications, in a semi-traditional way, with several machines involved. Polished and finished by hand by an expert polisher. Washed and gently hand polished with a cotton cloth and soft metal polish cream by myself. Packaged by me, with cotton gloves so as not mark it with my fingerprints. It's probably better quality than the old Rubberset, but again I have to humbly say that its value is different. Has value, but in other way. Make no mistake.

The whole process, from concept, design, to production, is made in Barcelona, Spain, Europe, with love and passion. I am this way. Quality is European, and the costs also. This handle requires many machining operations, and is finished one by one by hand.

Now I put a photo of one of the knots that I have set at 49.8 mm. It is a delight. Gel-tips, cotton ball when wet.

[Image: Imagen%25201359.jpg]

[Image: Imagen%25201360.jpg]

[Image: Imagen%25201361.jpg]

Nothing's in the BSB is by chance. The weight has not come by chance. It has been sought to weigh that. About 85 grams. Industrial engraving of letters instead of lasers, is not by chance. It was intended. An austere engraving.
The color and thickness of the rubber is not by chance, if you see my avatar. Neither the background color of the cards. The cards are the color of the flower Solanum Dulcamara, yellow and purple. And the lighting in the center of the photo, that radiant yellow is the sun of Spain. I'm a romantic, I know.
This project lasted a year and has been time to think very hard.

Brush in titanium is in process, just FYI.

I am managing to make a list of interested people to next batch in January. Thank you for your support, always is welcome and highly appreciated. And thanks to the forum team.

EDIT: To add the travel case pictures
It is a functional case, which will help when you go travelling. And it matches with the brush design, industrial look. Typography stencil "cargo" type. Austere. Easy reading. Like wooden tools' boxes when shipping by train or boat. It is my personal taste, but I do not know if all the people will like this brand image.
And there will not be carton box, beyond the outer shipping carton. Nor wax stamp, nor colored tissue paper. No offense to others that use, because are nice for wooden brushes, but I think this industrial look is more appropriate for this brush.
Friends, this is a personal project, short number of units, for enjoying more than for business, for you. But I am taking care all the details.

[Image: Imagen%2520014.jpg]

[Image: Imagen%2520015.jpg]

[Image: Imagen%2520016.jpg]

[Image: Imagen%2520017.jpg]

1 1,465
 12-17-2014, 02:43 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice, Juan.
I wish you and BSB great success in this endeavor.

102 18,669
 12-17-2014, 02:59 PM
User Info
Thanks Ravi, my friend. I'll settle for not losing money.

1 1,465
 12-17-2014, 03:08 PM
User Info
Very nice. I'm jealous.

0 862
 12-17-2014, 03:22 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
What a wonderful venture and passion that the community will undoubtedly benefit from!

To yours and BSB's success!

36 1,336
 12-17-2014, 04:12 PM
User Info
a smashing brush - very very beautiful! Bow

7 1,624
 12-17-2014, 04:16 PM
User Info
It is great to see you in the Artisan forum with your own product. The brush is beautiful and the quality is evident. It is obvious that much thought went into every aspect.

18 246
 12-17-2014, 04:51 PM
  • 55dougie
  • Doug Korn's Workshop - Artisan
  • NY USA
User Info
Excellent quality and finish... best luck,

24 672
 12-17-2014, 06:40 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
The brushes look amazing Juan...Bravo on such beautiful work Biggrin

34 1,627
 12-17-2014, 08:18 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Juan! Best of luck, amigo! Thumbup

83 21,111
 12-18-2014, 12:34 PM
User Info
Thank you friends. Planning next batch for late January.
this is product of my stubborness, more than a business plan. i,ll settle for no loosing money.
Love for barber brushes, but with badger knots, short loft, to be able to bowl and face lathering.

1 1,465
 12-18-2014, 12:44 PM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Congrats on your endeavor, Juan! I know I've said this before, but being one of the original buyers of the first edition handles, I'm extremely pleased with it. Juan did a great job in replicating the original Rubberset 400 handle, with an added weight which actually feels even better in my hand. Keep up the good work!

26 4,953
 12-18-2014, 11:11 PM
User Info
I have seen a few of these brushes around the forums and I had no idea you were the man behind them. Congratulations, Juan, they are gorgeous brushes.

69 2,194
 12-19-2014, 03:55 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
amazing passion project, I really admire you doc!

17 447
 12-19-2014, 04:58 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Superb craftsmanship. Beautiful. I see there is both the bulb and the fan-shaped knot? Is that right? I love the look of the bulb shape the most.

0 1,845
 12-19-2014, 09:57 AM
User Info
These brushes look GREAT!

Are there any plans for a stainless steel version or would these rust because of the knot? A satin finished stainless steel version would go great with my sating Mongoose.

But these are all winners.

1 162
 12-19-2014, 04:42 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Simply outstanding!

19 753
 12-19-2014, 05:22 PM
User Info
(12-19-2014, 09:57 AM)White Tuna Wrote: These brushes look GREAT!

Are there any plans for a stainless steel version or would these rust because of the knot? A satin finished stainless steel version would go great with my sating Mongoose.

i think a contrasting one in mirror polished titanium will look even better together with your satin goose. both will then be elevated instead of blending Wink

7 1,624
 12-20-2014, 10:27 AM
  • duanek
  • New Zealand
User Info
These look fantastic Juan!
Congratulations on creating such a wonderful handle!

5 25
 12-20-2014, 02:11 PM
User Info
(12-17-2014, 03:08 PM)EJaggerMan Wrote: Very nice. I'm jealous.
No need be jealous, friend. Just order one of them. You will be welcome.

(12-17-2014, 03:22 PM)refles Wrote: What a wonderful venture and passion that the community will undoubtedly benefit from!

To yours and BSB's success!
Thanks a lot, my good friend.

(12-17-2014, 04:12 PM)tonsorius Wrote: a smashing brush - very very beautiful! Bow
Many thanks, friend.

(12-17-2014, 04:16 PM)twallis Wrote: It is great to see you in the Artisan forum with your own product. The brush is beautiful and the quality is evident. It is obvious that much thought went into every aspect.
Honored for these words, Troy. Thanks a lot, my friend. Yes, I have thought a bit.

(12-17-2014, 04:51 PM)55dougie Wrote: Excellent quality and finish... best luck,
Thanks, I will need it.

(12-17-2014, 06:40 PM)Giorgio Wrote: The brushes look amazing Juan...Bravo on such beautiful work Biggrin
Yes, finally have born nicely.

(12-17-2014, 08:18 PM)celestino Wrote: Congratulations, Juan! Best of luck, amigo! Thumbup
Thanks, my friend.

(12-18-2014, 12:44 PM)TheMonk Wrote: Congrats on your endeavor, Juan! I know I've said this before, but being one of the original buyers of the first edition handles, I'm extremely pleased with it. Juan did a great job in replicating the original Rubberset 400 handle, with an added weight which actually feels even better in my hand. Keep up the good work!
Friend, your support and friendship have been very helpful! Initial small batch would have not been possible without your support.

(12-18-2014, 11:11 PM)cessnabird Wrote: I have seen a few of these brushes around the forums and I had no idea you were the man behind them. Congratulations, Juan, they are gorgeous brushes.
Yes, thank you friend. I'm the man. I'm the stubborn one, who has not stopped until making his dream real.

(12-19-2014, 03:55 AM)Lando Wrote: amazing passion project, I really admire you doc!
Thanks, although I do not deserve your admiration. I have a lot of defects.

(12-19-2014, 04:58 AM)Shaun Wrote: Superb craftsmanship. Beautiful. I see there is both the bulb and the fan-shaped knot? Is that right? I love the look of the bulb shape the most.
Friend, the knots at the first picture were different knots I had at home from different suppliers, in my knots box, for my restorations. I plan to set up a FAN knot, but if people wants BULB shape, maybe will order some of them also.

Friend. Will think in that a bit, but the weight could be the issue. Titanium brush is in process, indeed.

(12-19-2014, 04:42 PM)Deuce Wrote: Simply outstanding!
Thanks friend. I regret not having them ready when you was here, this summer.

(12-19-2014, 05:22 PM)tonsorius Wrote:

i think a contrasting one in mirror polished titanium will look even better together with your satin goose. both will then be elevated instead of blending Wink
Yes, friend, titanium brush is in process. We will see.

(12-20-2014, 10:27 AM)duanek Wrote: These look fantastic Juan!
Congratulations on creating such a wonderful handle!
Thanks, my friend.

1 1,465