05-31-2012, 12:34 PM
User Info
Recently I've purchased and won a few new things by way of PIF. As a rule I'm kind of a stickler about not changing to many variables in my day to day routine. My mindset is simply that if you change only one thing at a time and the results change, you know where to start looking for problems.

Today I threw that mindset to the wind. I tried a new razor, a new soap, a new brush and a new aftershave. Shadowdad PIF'd me an EverReady '29 Shovelhead razor. I had purchased a Semogue 830 Boar, I also used a new soap, Vostok and Shadowdad was also kind enough to gift me some Krampert's Finest aftershave.

I've had the brush for a few weeks now. I've been breaking it in according to the instructions found on ShaveWiki. That said even after 20 or so soak/lather cycles it continued to bleed color. I'm assuming that this is the banding dye. I'm sure it would have been fine to shave with but it kind of freaked me out so I just continued to repeat the routine. When it was soaked the water actually looked like weak tea. After 30 or so cycles it no longer does this. The tips have all split and it no doubt is ready for use.

Other than the changes I mentioned my techniques were the same as any other day. I begin with a pre-shave oil of my own making and build lather in a scuttle and continue to build lather on my face.

The Vostok is perhaps the best smelling shave soap I've ever used. I really like the peppermint smell. The smell being great I had to work a bit harder than normal to build a wet lather. The Vostok lathered easily but just seemed dry. I actually used about 3 times the amount of water I would normally use with Razorock XXX or Proraso. I don't know if this is a result of the soap or me just getting used to using a Boar's Hair brush. The lather was okay but still a bit less dense than normal.

I loaded a new GEM blade in the razor. The razor is certainly smaller than the razors I normally use. I have a degenerative joint condition that is the equivalent of arthritis on steroids. I've leaned towards big razors simply because they are easier for me to hold. This razor was not difficult to use. The angle of the head makes it easy to find the sweet spot. It's a noisy little fellow and you will audibly know when the razor is doing the most work that it can. I like audible feedback in my razors. I would guess that this razor is roughly the equal of my Mergress set on three when it comes to aggressiveness. Not too aggressive, not to mild. I quite liked the little razor.

I finished up with Krampert's Finest aftershave which I had used a few times before and already knew that I liked.

All in all a very nice shave. At this point I'm not too sure that I'll ever be a big Boar Brush fan but that said, I haven't thrown the towel in just yet and will continue to give the brush it's fair shake.

In the end, no nicks, no cuts, no weepers. The end result was similar to my normal routine. I probably paid a little more attention to the process than usual but all went well. I like trying new things, today was a very good day.

0 145
 05-31-2012, 12:50 PM
User Info
Any shave you can walk away from is a good one! But that sounds much better than that minimum standard.

I'm glad the razor worked for you! Yes, It is a noisy little shaving instrument isn't it? Gotta love it!

GH1, you've been shaving long enough, you probably know what variables affect your shave by now. The "change one variable" rule only holds until the operator of the razor has his wits about him and his feet under him. I'm betting you do by now.

In fact, I know you do. You can't get a good shave with that razor without possessing proper technique. Thumbsup

32 6,309
 05-31-2012, 02:56 PM
User Info
(05-31-2012, 12:50 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Any shave you can walk away from is a good one! But that sounds much better than that minimum standard.

I'm glad the razor worked for you! Yes, It is a noisy little shaving instrument isn't it? Gotta love it!

GH1, you've been shaving long enough, you probably know what variables affect your shave by now. The "change one variable" rule only holds until the operator of the razor has his wits about him and his feet under him. I'm betting you do by now.

In fact, I know you do. You can't get a good shave with that razor without possessing proper technique. Thumbsup

Shadowdad, I actually started wet shaving about 35 years ago, it was still as much "the thing" as other forms of shaving back then. I probably used this method for 5 years or so. A hand me down brush and razor and a tube of Colgate. I just stepped away from it for a very extended period of time. Kind of like riding a bicycle, it comes back to you. My comment probably refers more to the "software" end of things than anything else. You know, you can have a reaction to anything.

0 145
 05-31-2012, 03:29 PM
User Info
Yeah, I have a theory about us old farts and why we readjust to it so quickly... I think it's like riding a bicycle sort of. We know what we need to do, just got a little confused by carts there for a time.

32 6,309
 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM
User Info
You know, I've thought about that too. I'm not quite to the point where I consider myself an old fart just yet. My children would probably have an entirely different view point on that matter. My youngest just graduated from High School.

What made me switch methods of shaving? I have absolutely no doubt that it was the demand on my time, I just couldn't find enough of it. As a young guy the TV led me to believe that canned goo and a twin edge cartridge was where it was at. As life progressed it was all about bringing home the bacon and I was one of those guys that spent way too much time at work. I had an electric razor in the office, in my glove box (I never shaved while driving) and one at home. I would use an these to knock down the stubble whenever it was necessary to be presentable as the situation required. I actually have one of Braun's best electric razor's that has been used no more than 10 times. It's a good razor by electric standards. I purchased it a while back and about that time just thought to myself there has to be a better way. I placed an order for some gear and I haven't used it since that day my stuff arrived. It's still sitting on my bathroom counter along with my Shave Nook of the week (this collection changes frequently).

I mentioned I have some health issues. I never dreamed that I would be retired before I was 50. I would much rather be working but my body is sporting way too many parts that the good Lord didn't give me. That said, I probably wouldn't have made the shift back to wet shaving should I still be there. It all comes down to me having more time on my hands.

0 145
 05-31-2012, 07:03 PM
User Info
Give the Vostok more time. I couldn't get it to lather well at first and emailed the maker and posted and found you lather it like you would Italian soft soaps. I use a lot more water on the brush, have my face wet and go back and forth from the container until I get the lather right. You can get a rich lather. Queen Charlotte Soaps have the best and most sophisicated scented soaps and creams and balms of any out there in the USA or Europe, in my opinion.

21 1,477
 06-09-2012, 01:42 PM
User Info
Used the EverReady '29 Shovelhead razor again today. It is a fine little shaver. As I mentioned previously, I really like the noisy nature of this little razor. It just lets you know that it's giving all it has.

0 145
 06-09-2012, 01:50 PM
User Info
Congrats on the shave and the new hardware. Give the 830 more time to understand its properties as it is a fantastic brush and the best boar brush for the money, in my opinion. Enjoy your weekend.

75 20,883
 06-09-2012, 03:56 PM
User Info
(06-09-2012, 01:50 PM)celestino Wrote: ...Give the 830 more time to understand its properties as it is a fantastic brush and the best boar brush for the money, in my opinion...

I've used it 7 or 8 times at this point and a good number of break in soaks and lathers (perhaps 30). The bristles have all split and from all appearances it looks to be broken in. This few number of shaves certainly isn't enough to either fall in love with or despise a brush. At this point, the truth is that I'm probably jaded. I started out with some of the better SilverTip brushes in Kent's, ShaveMac's and Simpson's line. I guess to my way of thinking I began with the bar set pretty high. I bought the boar because enough people (whose opinions I respect) were saying good things about boar brushes to make me curious. I wondered what it is I might be missing.

Here's the jaded part, in all honesty I didn't expect much out of it from the get go. I mean no offense to any whose preference is a boar brush but with only these few shaves under the Semogue's belt, I just don't get it. I could certainly get by with it and for the money spent it would have to be considered a great value but I don't view it even in the running with other brushes I own. I wouldn't even put it in the top 10. I'm still not to the point where I would throw it away but it would have to improve by leaps and bounds to get to the point where I would reach for it with no second thoughts. Frankly, I just don't expect that to happen.

0 145