05-31-2012, 01:20 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I thought the Fatip razors were no longer being produced was I wrong. There is an eBay seller out of the UK that has four different style Fatips all with the open comb head similar to the Joris. The seller has sold a lot of these razors and apparently has plenty in each model still for sale. I just bought the Grande in gold. I always considered the Fatip as the poor man's Joris. They also used to make the head for Muhle.

100 12,447
 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM
User Info
My Grande in nickel is on its way to me. Can't swing a Joris, but when I tried a Joris and Fatip(piccolo) side by side they shaved nearly the same. The only difference I could make was that I liked the longer handle of the Joris. Oh and the fact that the Joris was drop dead gorgeous.

0 103
 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I purchased the FaTip Piccolo from the above vendor recently. It arrived and I promptly replaced the less than inspiring handle with an Ikon Bulldog. Still not quite as aesthetically pleasing as my Joris, but its certainly a lot closer now.

I'm thinking about getting the gold too as I have sourced a gold plated tech style handle that I'm sure would suit it nicely.

91 17,857
 05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
The Joris, Hoffritz Slant, and a Weber ARC are the last of my razor wants. That is until iKon releases something new and Tradere releases a Slant head.

116 3,804
 05-31-2012, 03:45 PM
User Info
(05-31-2012, 02:19 PM)Dave Wrote: The Joris, Hoffritz Slant, and a Weber ARC are the last of my razor wants. That is until iKon releases something new and Tradere releases a Slant head.

or they produce the single edged rolling razor.

4 309
 05-31-2012, 04:05 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
True Hudson. I'm a sucker for new razors.

116 3,804
 05-31-2012, 04:21 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I used my FaTip head with an Ikon bulldog handle this morning. The razor had a good feel and it looks great paired with the Ikon handle. The FaTip is an effective tool and I was able to achieve possibly my closest shave to date and in only two passes. I concentrated on angle as there is significant blade exposure with this head. I suffered some significant irritation, but not enough to deter me from using this combo again tomorrow.

91 17,857
 05-31-2012, 04:33 PM
User Info
I use a BRW handle on my Fatip head. It's one of my favorite razors, even though the blade exposure looks like it would rip your face off.

9 1,199
 05-31-2012, 06:25 PM
User Info
(05-31-2012, 04:33 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I use a BRW handle on my Fatip head. It's one of my favorite razors, even though the blade exposure looks like it would rip your face off.

Randy - I prefer the open-comb over the safety bar DE razors, and the Fatip Grande in Nickel has my interest.

It looks to be a bit more aggressive than the Gillette NEW, and Bruce has been pleased with his as well.

PS: I like your new Avatar. George Carlin is one of my favorites.

0 1,377
 05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
User Info
Hi, Nick.

Yes, I would agree that the Fatip is more agressive than the NEW, however somewhere down the line, the Fatip got a reputation as a widow maker. For me, it's just the opposite. A very easy and well-balanced shave. By that, nowhere near the aggression of the R41, but a very smooth and irritation free shave.

I hope you get the chance to use one and enjoy it.

P.S. Thanks, re: Carlin. He's next on my tribute to dead comedians. Certainly a thinking man.

9 1,199
 06-01-2012, 07:06 AM
User Info
I agree with Randy. When I first tried the Joris and Fatip I thought I would feel some harshness, but they were very forgiving.

For example, on my second shave with the Joris, I did a very quick(7min shower&shave) head and face shave in the shower with no mirror. I had a near BBS, with one little spot that had a little sting when I put the AS on. I needed to be clean shaven in a hurry, and it did the job amazingly well.

I shaved twice with my New after the Joris/Fatip, and it was no were near as smooth or efficient. This thread has me looking to the mailbox even more, wondering when it will get here.

0 103
 06-02-2012, 07:46 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
I must admit to liking the FaTip a lot. Slantman puts it wisely as "the poor man's Joris." The chrome finish on it does not dazzle as much as Edwin Jagger's, but I like the grip better. Overall, it's a good meat and potato razor that promises a superb shave.
I ordered one grande in gold and two in chrome, when I had intended to order one in chrome. Must have been a senior moment, what? Now I just use the gold and love it.

132 2,614
 06-02-2012, 07:51 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-02-2012, 07:46 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen,
I must admit to liking the FaTip a lot. Slantman puts it wisely as "the poor man's Joris." The chrome finish on it does not dazzle as much as Edwin Jagger's, but I like the grip better. Overall, it's a good meat and potato razor that promises a superb shave.
I ordered one grande in gold and two in chrome, when I had intended to order one in chrome. Must have been a senior moment, what? Now I just use the gold and love it.
B/S/T ??? *cough* I'm sure someone would take your extra one of your hands Tongue

9 1,684
 06-02-2012, 11:19 AM
User Info
(05-31-2012, 04:33 PM)CyanideMetal Wrote: I use a BRW handle on my Fatip head. It's one of my favorite razors, even though the blade exposure looks like it would rip your face off.

Randy, I couldn't agree more. I have one of Bobs fluted handles for mine. You can see it in my RIP for him in another thread.

Obie, mine is in nickel. It really looks nice with my BRW handle. I just took a little rouge to it first. I assume they also used chrome?

2 546
 06-02-2012, 11:24 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(06-02-2012, 07:51 AM)gijames Wrote:
B/S/T ??? *cough* I'm sure someone would take your extra one of your hands Tongue
It was the strangest thing. I knew I had ordered one chrome FaTip Grande at the same time as the gold. A day or so later, I ordered another chrome without realizing I had already ordered the bloody thing. So that's how I ended up with two. In the end, though, I thought I would just keep the gold and sell the other two, which are still in the box. I tell you, my friend, the mind is going. Too many books, I'd say.

(06-02-2012, 11:19 AM)PanchoVilla Wrote:

Randy, I couldn't agree more. I have one of Bobs fluted handles for mine. You can see it in my RIP for him in another thread.

Obie, mine is in nickel. It really looks nice with my BRW handle. I just took a little rouge to it first. I assume they also used chrome?
Bob, yes, FaTip was also offered in chrome. The finish is not as dazzling as that on the Edwin Jagger razors, but I like the grip better on the FaTip. But what an incredible shaver, oh, yes. I love mine.

132 2,614
 06-02-2012, 01:07 PM
User Info
The FaTip is a very nice and aggressive razor, but, unfortunately, it was just not compatible with me. i even tried it twice!

75 20,883
 06-02-2012, 09:19 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-02-2012, 01:07 PM)celestino Wrote: The FaTip is a very nice and aggressive razor, but, unfortunately, it was just not compatible with me. i even tried it twice!

so how would FaTip Grande rate (aggresive) as an OC vs ..

Merkur 1904 OC

iKON OSS (OC side)

Tradere OC

R41 (2011)

9 1,684
 06-03-2012, 01:12 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(06-02-2012, 09:19 PM)gijames Wrote:
(06-02-2012, 01:07 PM)celestino Wrote: The FaTip is a very nice and aggressive razor, but, unfortunately, it was just not compatible with me. i even tried it twice!

so how would FaTip Grande rate (aggresive) as an OC vs ..

Merkur 1904 OC

iKON OSS (OC side)

Tradere OC

R41 (2011)
James, I have used all these razors. This is the order in which I would rate them as aggressive open comb razors, with the most aggressive first:

Muhle R41; FaTip; Tradere; iKon OSS; Merkur 1904.

The Merkur open combs are really mild and quite pleasant, although they are not the shavers the more aggressive razors on top are.

132 2,614
 06-03-2012, 02:12 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Obie is spot on there. I'll add a few more razors to his list in order of aggression at least to me

R41>Fatip>Old Type>Tradere>Gilllette New>OSS>Merkur OC

116 3,804
 06-03-2012, 12:35 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
hey all,

FWIW, according to what I read from the FaTip forum on B&B that yes,

the Tradere handle will work with the *chome* FaTip Grande!

Clap

9 1,684