12-18-2014, 01:07 PM
User Info
I've used custom razor handles over the years - some really cool ones too. Some have been lighter - with a brass core inserted into the outer material, like the linen micarta on this Cooncatbob classic:

[Image: temporary.jpg]

Others have been heavier, with long handles made of bronze, etc.

However, I usually find that I prefer the original handle supplied with the razor for general use. Some of them have been light, like the aluminium one on this Standard razor:

[Image: d2cc246f-2731-4071-91c2-012dd03dad11.jpg]

Even on my old lather catchers, with their hollow handles, the original handle has worked best for me.

I think it has to do with balance. I like my razors balanced or a little head-heavy, and I find that I can compensate for lack of heft. In fact, I think the finer control of maneuverability afforded by the lighter handles suits my shaving style better.

Now, I know that custom handles have a strong following on the forums. This is for good reason: some of the artisans making these handles are amazing. The late Cooncatbob may have been among the first, but there have been many geniuses with a lathe who have taken up his mantle.

-----------------

My question is this: do other users here also find that sometimes messing with the razor balance too much actually has an adverse affect on the shave?

Or do you find that heft is always good?

37 1,743
 12-18-2014, 01:21 PM
User Info
Yohann, another wonderful topic for discussion, from you! Smile

I think you have made a very good point and I have experienced that very issue, myself. I think I used one of my UFO handles on a Tech and it just didn't feel right and went back to using the original handle. Nonetheless, I still could never get a good shave with this razor! Biggrin

Personally, I seem to prefer a heavier razor, but it has been so long since I have used a very light one and, since my technique has improved quite a bit, it would be nice to try a lighter one at some point to see if I can get on with the lighter ones.

83 21,081
 12-18-2014, 04:55 PM
User Info
yep, another great thread to mull over. I think I am still so new to it all I just enjoy everything I touch. heavy, light, et al I love em can't discern much difference when everything amazes you.

73 1,297
 12-18-2014, 05:43 PM
User Info
Sorry Yohann, but I disagree, at least to the extent of some of the the better craftsmen. A good number of the best balanced razors are from Bob (rip).

I will say that others have gone to extremes. Just not a fan of pot ash or some of these modern alloys.

Eta, Yohann, what did you think of the old Goodfella handles? NZ I believe. Very small.

2 546
 12-18-2014, 10:09 PM
User Info
Great topic!

For me, it varies from razor to razor depending on their weight, but even more importantly, their level of aggressiveness.

For example, if I use my beefy UFO Zeus handle on the Mongoose head, the whole thing is just too heavy and I seem to end up with irritation no matter how light a touch I try to maintain. But if I thread the Zeus on my Weber DLC (which is it's mate), I end up with a superb shave every single time.

69 2,186
 12-19-2014, 04:15 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
I agree with you.
It's the reason I prefer the razorock aluminum stealth to the stainless version. Handle too heavy on the latter.

17 440
 12-19-2014, 05:07 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I've tried a few custom handles but went back to the originals mostly because of balance issues, maybe I didn't try the right ones ;-)

28 1,442
 12-20-2014, 06:20 AM
User Info
Bob -

I am not trying to state that all custom handles mess up the balance of the razors, or even that every user will find this to be a problem. Bob (cooncatbob) always would suggest keeping the razor balance in mind when we were discussing the custom handles i had him build for me. I generally regretted it when I ignored his advice.

I have never tried the Goodfella handles, but I do have a Feather Portable, and that handle suits the razor so much that I cannot use the razor head on any other handle.

Maybe I just prefer a light touch, and find it easier with lighter handles.

37 1,743
 12-20-2014, 10:31 AM
  • duanek
  • New Zealand
User Info
I've had three aftermarket handles - two stainless steel and one titanium.
I've sold both the steel ones - the extra weight was just too much and I didn't get good shaves. The titanium one though doesn't have the same issue, being lighter I find I get better results.

In saying that though, my preferred razor for the past year has been a New Improved Bostonian, I'm just drawn back to it each time.

5 25
 12-20-2014, 10:38 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(12-20-2014, 10:31 AM)duanek Wrote: I've had three aftermarket handles - two stainless steel and one titanium.
I've sold both the steel ones - the extra weight was just too much and I didn't get good shaves. The titanium one though doesn't have the same issue, being lighter I find I get better results.

In saying that though, my preferred razor for the past year has been a New Improved Bostonian, I'm just drawn back to it each time.

Yes you have, Duane, and some of us appreciate that. Biggrin

26 4,928
 12-20-2014, 11:34 AM
  • duanek
  • New Zealand
User Info
(12-20-2014, 10:38 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Yes you have, Duane, and some of us appreciate that. Biggrin

Much better to be used and enjoyed than admired but secretly ashamed of not using!

5 25
 12-20-2014, 04:58 PM
User Info
(12-20-2014, 11:34 AM)duanek Wrote:
(12-20-2014, 10:38 AM)TheMonk Wrote: Yes you have, Duane, and some of us appreciate that. Biggrin

Much better to be used and enjoyed than admired but secretly ashamed of not using!

Very true! Biggrin

37 1,743