12-20-2014, 10:09 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
We approach another year.It's a time of resolutions, reflection, a few regrets and triumphs.I thought we
might review our curious hobby. What and who are new, what
disappeared;the rise of 'artisan' soaps,scents,brushes and the always hated reformulations of tried and true products.

2 3,171
 12-20-2014, 11:15 AM
User Info
X marks the spot and I'm still here! Biggrin

82 21,056
 12-20-2014, 03:00 PM
User Info
It's kind of weird to be part of the artisan soap "uprising". I just wanted my wife to make me some shaving soap, and look where we ended up. I never would have imagined it.

Proliferation of products is a sure sign that our hobby/lifestyle is growing. Maybe I'm just noticing it more, but I think there's increased media attention too. Someone posted a link to a NYT article here somewhere...

0 1,053
 12-20-2014, 03:33 PM
User Info
Join the club Brian. Biggrin

Similar story how I got thrust into my business too. Still here, still enjoying my shaves. But my shaving exploratory days are over to a large extent. I vowed 2 years ago (?) that I wouldn't make soap, and I'm keeping to that (where would I ever find the time!?). But still making what I make, and had a role in the soap; the scent portion. Keeping busy here. My role has changed to a certain extent. I always liked helping others in this hobby, now it gives me a kick to hear from folks. I still help when I can. There are so many folks here who are knowledgeable, that most times I just shut up and let others handle it. (that was a compliment)

32 6,445
 12-20-2014, 04:41 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(12-20-2014, 03:33 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: most times I just shut up and let others handle it. (that was a compliment)

Don't shut up too much, Brian. I always enjoy your posts.

38 5,030
 12-20-2014, 04:59 PM
User Info
One artisan soap/cologne vendor disappeared and I wish would resume production is Jennifer aka "Mundus" who sold on Etsy. Great soaps and wonderful after shave/colognes. I think I would buy a lifetime supply if she started up again.

4 952
 12-20-2014, 06:45 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
This past year has seen a razor with blades of unknown make
sold on the TEEVEE by some bald guy running a pawn shop and in several catalogs. the vintage market continues with a seeming inexaustable supply of Super Speeds and Old Spice mugs.
I know there were literally millions made. I've observed other hobbies where the original stuff eventually was exhausted and money was made in reproductions or replicas.
The new idea of preshaves seems to have maintained a niche
and some people still buy stands to hang brush and razor but
overlook blade banks; to me an inexpensive bit of insurance.
Scents are always fascinating. I think there are enough Bay Rhums out there to rival a Winetasting party in Napa California.
My idea for a new product is KAV'S Holographic imposed beard pattern. The customer will not shave for several days and a
highly detailed scan will be recorded much like our iris' or fingerprints. My patented pattern projector will superimpose a holographic grid with arrows showing the user how to paint lather on in the proper shaving direction. Think Paint by numbers.
This will require yet a new chrome stand for razor,brush AND holographic projector.

2 3,171
 12-20-2014, 07:03 PM
User Info
This past year I have scaled down. I have really cut down on the new soaps bought and concentrated on those I already have. That being said, I still want to try many others...but have 2-3 favorite ps right now, and am sticking to them.

I sold all my 'name brand' brushes and started making my own. Surprising that I only have 3 left in rotation, but I told myself I would not fall in love with every one I made.
I have made a few customs for others that I really would have liked to have kept for myself, but have some stock to get started on in 2015.

I am currently using one razor, cobra classic, but patiently waiting to see what the HuntLee will do to change that. The mongoose hype did not catch up to me,..yet.

31 1,800
 12-21-2014, 06:53 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Excluding my "historical" collection of cartridge razors (in my life I never have thrown away any interchangeable blade razor I have used; when I got a new razor, I threw the old one into a box), I entered 2014 with one razor, a Schick Hydro. I entered 2014 with one brush, a Vulfix 2234S Super Badger that I bought around 1990. I entered 2014 with one puck of glycerine-heavy shaving soap, one TSA-approved size tube of shaving cream for travel, and one tube of brushless shave cream.

When I look into the cabinet above the sink now, I see three razors: the Schick Hydro is still there, but a Feather MR3 neo is beside it, and beside those two cartridge razors is a Standard Razors DE razor. And I have packs of three different brands of DE blades on the shelf (GSB, Iridium Super, and KAI). Until this past spring, I literally never had held a double-edge safety razor in my hand.

The Vulfix Super Badger brush no longer is lonely; it has a Mühle Silvertip Fiber v2 brush for company, and kid brother L'Occitaine Plisson along for the ride.

The glycerine shaving soap puck has been used up, but it was replaced by a puck of Provence Santé Green Tea; the two tubes of shave cream remain, but the soaps have increased in number to four, with newcomers Mike's Natural Orange, Cedarwood, and Pepper, RazoRock XXX, and Cold River Soap Works Vétiver Terreux.

2014 was a very busy year for the cabinet above the sink.

0 1,049
 12-21-2014, 12:30 PM
User Info
(12-20-2014, 03:33 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Join the club Brian. Biggrin

Glad to know I'm in good company. Not to hijack the thread, but let me know if, as a successful artisan, you have any advice.

0 1,053