05-31-2012, 05:45 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I recently had the opportunity to borrow a Simpson's Chubby 2, in 3 band from a friend.

Holy cow does that brush hold a lot of water! It holds a small bucket full of water. I gave the brush a couple of gentle shakes and started loading. After loading for about 15 seconds I realized that I should have given the brush a couple of gentle squeezes, I had foamy over hydrated lather all over the place! I dumped off the foam and gave the brush a gentle squeeze and went back to the puck. I ended up loading for about another minute and face lathering for just under a minute. I had lather for days, I could have shaved a bear or a Llama.

Tomorrow is going to be a great shave!

7 1,018
 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Is the brush a super or best badger hair grade?
Yes,I be that those brushes,being so extra full packed of hair,are lather machines,but also lather hogs and thirsty like the desert.I should get one of those one of these days to experience it myself.

86 7,123
 06-01-2012, 01:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Yes, my Chubby holds onto as much lather as it does water! But there's always still plenty of lather to go around! Biggrin

91 17,798
 06-01-2012, 03:29 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(05-31-2012, 07:55 PM)Teiste Wrote: Is the brush a super or best badger hair grade?
Yes,I be that those brushes,being so extra full packed of hair,are lather machines,but also lather hogs and thirsty like the desert.I should get one of those one of these days to experience it myself.

It's super hair. It feels very nice on my face, it has just the tiniest bit of scritch. It's the densest brush I have ever used and surprisingly it isn't a lather hog, keep in mind you need more soap or cream just because the brush is big and dense but it gives up that lather with ease.

I thought that this brush was going to be similar in size to my Rooney 2xl, it dwarfs my 2xl.

7 1,018
 06-01-2012, 03:36 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Shawn, any chance of getting a side by side picture of the Chubby 2 and your Rooney 2XL?

173 23,490
 06-01-2012, 03:45 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(06-01-2012, 03:36 AM)Johnny Wrote: Shawn, any chance of getting a side by side picture of the Chubby 2 and your Rooney 2XL?

Absolutely, I'll get it up later today. I'll do some side by side's with some other brushes as well.

7 1,018
 06-01-2012, 09:36 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Glad to hear that CH2 is treating you well, Shawn. And I'm looking forward to your thoughts on its 2-band brother. Very different brushes, the two of them. Isn't it surprising how the 3-band Super hair has that tiniest bit of scritch? I rather like it. That 2-band, you will find, is nowhere near the lather hog or sponge, and the tips are softer, with no hint of scritch.

If you have a problem with too much product in your den, the CH2 3-band Super can help!

43 1,690
 06-01-2012, 10:21 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(06-01-2012, 09:36 AM)Andrew Wrote: Glad to hear that CH2 is treating you well, Shawn. And I'm looking forward to your thoughts on its 2-band brother. Very different brushes, the two of them. Isn't it surprising how the 3-band Super hair has that tiniest bit of scritch? I rather like it. That 2-band, you will find, is nowhere near the lather hog or sponge, and the tips are softer, with no hint of scritch.

If you have a problem with too much product in your den, the CH2 3-band Super can help!

No kidding, It is a soap destroying beast! If it was a little bit smaller I could see this brush (or one if it's twins) finding a home in my den. It's just to big. The tips are wonderful, the scritch is really nice.

I'm going to break out the 2 band tomorrow.

7 1,018
 06-01-2012, 02:18 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
First, I apologize for the terrible pictures, I really need to build a light tent.

I figured while I was taking pictures I might as well include several more brushes.

First up is the Rooney 2xl

[Image: rooneychubbyside.jpg]

A top view to see how densely packed both of these brushes are.

[Image: rooneychubbytop.jpg]

Thater Cream Stout 2, this is one of my favorite brushes. It's a big brush but it seems to be nearly perfectly balanced between hair density, loft and knot diameter.

[Image: creamstoutchubby.jpg]

As you can see the density isn't comparable between the two brushes.

[Image: creamstoutchubbytop.jpg]

Shavemac D01

[Image: shavemacchubbyside.jpg]

[Image: shavemacchubbytop.jpg]

Thater SRP group buy.

[Image: thaterchubbyside.jpg]

[Image: thaterchubbytop.jpg]

One for the boar guys.

[Image: semoguechubbyside.jpg]

[Image: semoguechubbytop.jpg]

[Image: linedupfromtheside.jpg]

[Image: linedup.jpg]

7 1,018
 06-01-2012, 03:14 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Shawn.

173 23,490
 06-01-2012, 03:36 PM
User Info
Thanks for the pictures, Shawn.
That Chubby sure is a big brush!

75 20,883
 06-01-2012, 03:43 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
You're welcome Johnny and celestino. I hope the pictures helped you get an idea of just how big this brush is.

7 1,018
 06-01-2012, 04:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Makes me question if I really want a Chubby 2. I just hear so many good things about them.

173 23,490
 06-01-2012, 04:13 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Johnny, if only you could try before you buy. If you are concerned about the size being too large, I say go for a 2-band or Best. I've had all three (sold the Best), and that 3-band Super (mine on loan to Shawn) is the biggest.

One other thing about Best - there is quite a bit of variability. I'll post a photo of my old CH2 Best in a few. Looks nothing like others I've seen. But still a great brush.

43 1,690
 06-01-2012, 04:24 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Andrew, I look forward to seeing it.

173 23,490
 06-01-2012, 06:19 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Here's that CH2 Best next to my Stubby 2XL for comparison. The hair on the CH2 was almost like 2-band, but then again almost looks like Pure. It was scrubby, with just a hint of scritch. And it didn't open up (i.e., bloom) like the 3-band Super.

[Image: CH2B%2520and%25202XL.jpg]

I might add, I have regretted selling the CH2 Best, it was a unique brush.

43 1,690
 06-01-2012, 07:58 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Andrew, thanks for the picture. That sheds a whole new light on the subject.

I will be glad when my youngest son gets moved down to Austin in December. I know three guys I'm going to pay a visit.Biggrin

173 23,490
 06-01-2012, 08:25 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Definitely! We've got a little place called Tacodeli that seems not to mind some guys whipping out shaving products while they're eating some delicious food.

43 1,690
 06-02-2012, 03:34 AM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
We also have Rudy's. I always take out of towners to Rudy's. It's the best BBQ you'll ever eat at a gas station.

7 1,018
 06-02-2012, 05:00 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Yeah, there's a Rudy's right near my house - wouldn't even need to haul our supplies there!

I haven't waited in line for Franklin Barbecue yet. Apparently we'd have some time to talk shop before that food arrives.

43 1,690