05-31-2012, 06:51 PM
User Info
Has anyone used or seen the new Böker DE?
I've only seen photos of it, but the handle looks like an EJ/Mühle and the head is a little similar to a Merkur. I assume Merkur made it, because they make nearly everything else. I looked for the Tree logo, but there wasn't any photos under the shave head. I was a fan of Böker straights, so this one made me curious.

9 451
 05-31-2012, 06:58 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Where are you finding it at Johnny?

116 3,804
 05-31-2012, 08:11 PM
User Info
Sorry, I should have posted the images.

[Image: BokerDE.jpg]

There's actually an entire line of shaving gear. I can't tell if it's EJ or Muhle, but the stuff is very similar. The Brush is pretty nice looking. Here's a link. Boker Safety Razor

After some time looking at the razor, soap/cream, brush, mug; it looks like Muhle must have made it all.

9 451
 06-01-2012, 02:00 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
It looks almost exacty like a DE89 (even the handle). Looks nice though.

116 3,804
 06-01-2012, 03:54 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Save for the lack of inscription on the handle's end, it looks like 100% Muhle. It would be interesting to see if they come out with some new designs unique to the Boker branding.

35 2,703
 06-01-2012, 04:00 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Bill, where are you seeing the inscription? I must be blind

116 3,804
 06-01-2012, 04:07 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(06-01-2012, 04:00 AM)Dave Wrote: Bill, where are you seeing the inscription? I must be blind

...lack of inscription is what I meant. Fixed.

35 2,703
 06-01-2012, 04:11 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Thanks Bill I thought I needed glasses again. There are lots of Boker knife enthusiasts. If you slap a Boker logo on the head or underside and a tree logo on the handle, they'd sell a million razors to people who'd never use them, just put them up and collect them. That's what I'd do and I'd send pics to every knife shop in the world of the razor with the logo front and center. I have a few Boker Tree brand knives that have never touched anything and never will. When I went through my straight shaving phase, I used a Boker as well. Who knows, they might convert a few people back to wet shaving.

116 3,804
 06-01-2012, 04:40 AM
User Info
(06-01-2012, 04:11 AM)Dave Wrote: Thanks Bill I thought I needed glasses again. There are lots of Boker knife enthusiasts. If you slap a Boker logo on the head or underside and a tree logo on the handle, they'd sell a million razors to people who'd never use them, just put them up and collect them. That's what I'd do and I'd send pics to every knife shop in the world of the razor with the logo front and center. I have a few Boker Tree brand knives that have never touched anything and never will. When I went through my straight shaving phase, I used a Boker as well. Who knows, they might convert a few people back to wet shaving.

I agree, by adding a DE they make entering into traditional shaving much easier. Before that, it was jumping in with both feet with their straights. As an old company with lots of enthusiasts, not adding your signature marking is a bad move. I know it's only a mark, but for Böker it's a lasting symbol and collectors would have certainly bought it. I don't know, maybe it's stamped somewhere.

9 451
 06-01-2012, 05:22 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'd buy a toilet brush if it had the tree logo on it honestly, because I know it would be the best darn toilet brush ever to hit the market. That's how much I love Boker and their products. If they were to slap that tree logo on the razor, I'd buy two of them. One to use and one to put up and keep. I know it's silly, but I'd also like to see a shot of the box the razor comes in as well since a big part of buying a Boker is admiring the box.

When I worked at the pawn shop I had a guy come in with 3 Tree Brand Straight razors, two in a collectors case and one in a box. My boss said no on the loan. I pulled her aside and asked her if she'd ever had any problems selling Boker knives or anything with a Boker logo on it. She said no and a light went on in her head. I talked her into giving him an $100 loan for the 3 of them. He was very glad and came back and picked them up. I had to have the same discussion with her when someone brought in a Case Red Imp and a Case Temperite. Knife collectors will buy products made by a brand. Heck, I'd buy a SOG Razor or a Kershaw Razor just to hold onto them.

116 3,804
 06-01-2012, 06:26 AM
User Info
We're a silly bunch. LOL
For me, it's Wade & Butcher. W&B ice cube tray? Oh, I'd buy a set. I bought a W&B tee shirt. I know W&B made a safety razor long, long ago and I want it, even though it takes a propriety blade. I missed a few on sleeze bay.

We do get caught up in names, but some names carry a long, impressive history.

9 451
 06-01-2012, 06:48 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(06-01-2012, 06:26 AM)Johnny9 Wrote: We're a silly bunch. LOL
For me, it's Wade & Butcher. W&B ice cube tray? Oh, I'd buy a set. I bought a W&B tee shirt. I know W&B made a safety razor long, long ago and I want it, even though it takes a propriety blade. I missed a few on sleeze bay.

We do get caught up in names, but some names carry a long, impressive history.

You couldn't be more right. I'm terribly loyal for the most part. I've never had an issue with a Boker Pocket Knife or a SOG or a Kershaw. That's the three main brands for me. I've had Case knives break on me, so I don't fool with them any longer.

116 3,804
 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
The handle looks more like a Muhle than an EJ.

eric.

6 132
 06-01-2012, 12:44 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Its like and Edwin Jagger DE89.Great razor,by the way,so this one is great too.

86 7,123
 06-01-2012, 12:44 PM
User Info
(06-01-2012, 12:42 PM)glassmtn Wrote: The handle looks more like a Muhle than an EJ.

eric.

the only Muhle chrome handle i've ever seen has decorative knurling, this one does not.

looks like an EJ to me...either way, very nice.

8 2,718
 06-01-2012, 05:25 PM
User Info
I may buy it simply for the name. The brush is pretty nice looking as well. Bah, who am I kidding, all of the shave swag is nice.

[Image: 81980.jpg]

If you prefer a nice olive wood & chrome handle. (I prefer the black resin & chrome)

[Image: 82106_600.jpg]

If you go that far, you may as well go all out and get the mug and/or bowl and razor & brush stand.

9 451
 06-01-2012, 08:53 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
from their German website (Böker)...
Quote:Answering frequent customer requests, as of now this classic shaving razor is part of our product range. The razor includes a traditional razor blade. Many customers still swear by this proven method. Easy to clean. Chromed full metal construction. Delivered with razor blade. Length: 9.5 cm. Weight: 95g.
it has a bit more heft with that base handle! ... about 30 grams heavier or so I think

9 1,684
 06-02-2012, 05:54 AM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
As a Böker reseller I can confirm it's made by Muhle. Few weeks ago, I was curious as well and just asked the accountmanager. He told me it was made by Muhle indeed.
Also, if you check their other items like brushes, mach3 razors, bowls and stands, you will see the same products on the Muhle website. Which is off course no problem, as Muhle makes good products.

0 114
 06-02-2012, 05:55 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Rob, does it have the Boker Logo anywhere on it? If it does, please PM with cost and shipping details to USA.

116 3,804
 06-02-2012, 06:13 AM
  • R0B
  • The Netherlands
User Info
Dave, currently not in stock, but already ordered at böker. New stock expected next week.
I did not checked it out closely before, but I'm pretty sure there is no Böker logo on it.

0 114