12-23-2014, 07:28 AM
User Info
I thought I had all my blade preferences worked out a year ago. My favorites are usually the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, with a few runner-ups (Silver Blues, Personna Lab, Feather). That was with my SLAB and Superspeed razors.

The Merkur 37C messed that all up. The Gillette Blacks still were really sharp, but also harsh. So I started to go through one by one all the 10 or so brands I have on hand. It's not even close.

The Personna Lab Blues made the razor feel entirely different. It's smooth; so smooth I almost can't hear the blade feedback. The razor seems to glide across my face with it. Also effective, taking off my stubble better than any other I've tried in that razor. I have no idea why the slight twist of the blade would make such a big difference, but I'm sold!

The only thing I'm curious about now is the Med Preps. Conflicting reports about them being the same, or QA not being as good on the Labs and whatnot. But the box of Labs I have is great!

9 112
 12-23-2014, 08:58 AM
User Info
(12-23-2014, 07:28 AM)DesertJake Wrote: I thought I had all my blade preferences worked out a year ago. My favorites are usually the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, with a few runner-ups (Silver Blues, Personna Lab, Feather). That was with my SLAB and Superspeed razors.

The Merkur 37C messed that all up. The Gillette Blacks still were really sharp, but also harsh. So I started to go through one by one all the 10 or so brands I have on hand. It's not even close.

The Personna Lab Blues made the razor feel entirely different. It's smooth; so smooth I almost can't hear the blade feedback. The razor seems to glide across my face with it. Also effective, taking off my stubble better than any other I've tried in that razor. I have no idea why the slight twist of the blade would make such a big difference, but I'm sold!

The only thing I'm curious about now is the Med Preps. Conflicting reports about them being the same, or QA not being as good on the Labs and whatnot. But the box of Labs I have is great!
Guess I'll have to try the personnas in mind. I have tried a few and always find myself going back to Astra. As for the slab, it is such an awesome aggressive shave, is there a bad blade for it? Just about everything seems to work good in mine!

0 7
 12-23-2014, 11:33 AM
User Info
Med Preps and Labs are not the same blade, in my opinion.
Regardless, I don't enjoy either.
Good luck and, fortunately, for me, I found my go-to blade almost 3 years, ago and it seems to work in every razor I have used. Biggrin

82 21,077
 12-23-2014, 12:46 PM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
(12-23-2014, 11:33 AM)celestino Wrote: Med Preps and Labs are not the same blade, in my opinion.
Regardless, I don't enjoy either.
Good luck and, fortunately, for me, I found my go-to blade almost 3 years, ago and it seems to work in every razor I have used. Biggrin

What is your go-to blade, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

13 611
 12-24-2014, 12:16 AM
User Info
You still need to try Polsilver Super Iridiums if you haven't yet.

I'll also say that if the 37C dramatically changed shaving for you, the ATT S1 will floor you and is worth the price of admission.

4 146
 12-24-2014, 01:14 AM
User Info
I have tried a couple Polsilver samples. I liked them, but I don't remember liking them any better than my other top blades. A larger sampling would be good to try in the future.

As for the ATT, it looks awesome but I'm not sure at what point in my life I'll have that kind of money for a razor!

9 112
 12-24-2014, 07:46 AM
User Info
I've found the Polsilvers and Med Preps work extremely well for me in my 39c slant. Both are very smooth, but I find the Med Preps give a bit more feedback. Feathers also work well, but aren't quite as forgiving as the others.

2 610
 01-01-2015, 05:49 PM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
Med Preps are one of my favorites in the 37C. Lab Blues are a little behind for me. Don't know why- they're supposed to be the same blade...

12 323
 01-01-2015, 06:13 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
The 37C allowed me to use blades that wouldn't work for me in my other razors. These included the more well know "sharp" blades like Feathers, and Super Iridiums - they just didn't provide a smooth shave in my old Gillettes. I have to admit that since the R1 became my go to razor, just about all blades work well. It will be fun once my S1 slant arrives to work thru the blade nuances

19 742
 01-04-2015, 07:25 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
(12-23-2014, 07:28 AM)DesertJake Wrote: I thought I had all my blade preferences worked out a year ago. My favorites are usually the Gillette 7 O'Clock Black, with a few runner-ups (Silver Blues, Personna Lab, Feather). That was with my SLAB and Superspeed razors.

My favorite blade in just about any razor is the Med Prep, and they seem to consistently perform for me a bit better than Blue Labs. If Blue Labs are working great for you, the Med Preps might not be worth the extra substantial cost...and may not provide a better shave for you anyway.

12 165
 01-05-2015, 03:56 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I really like the Lab Blues in my 37C, but I love Feathers in it. I can get a 1 pass DFS with this combo and the blades last 4+ shaves.

4 194
 01-07-2015, 07:34 AM
User Info
Lab blues and Voskhods are usually what I load in my 39c and Razorock Stainless Stealth Slant. Smooth and efficient.

0 22
 07-05-2015, 08:13 AM
User Info
I use Feathers in my Merkur 39C (AKA Sledgehammer Slant).

1 52