12-24-2014, 03:42 AM
User Info
Yes, friends, a fine shave can still be had out of your house, in the traditional venue.

I am fortunate to have a friendly neighborhood barbershop, run by a jolly fellow from Uzbekistan. His staff members are all Russian speakers.

After hearing another customer rave about it a while back, I knew I wanted the "Royal Shave", and my wife made it a birthday gift yesterday.

It was with a shavette and did not involve a brush, but the sensation of lying back in the barber chair with the hot towels and assorted products was quite luxurious. The barber -- female, neither young nor old -- was skillful and my face felt great afterward.

Cost: $22 plus tip.

8 948
 12-24-2014, 03:48 AM
User Info
Awesome! I had one once in London. A shop opened up about 10 miles form my house a couple months back I have not tried it yet.
$22, not bad! I bet you'll be back.

31 1,800
 12-24-2014, 04:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
A "good" barber shave is a wonderful thing.

Now, what kind of shavette was it and what products did she use?

179 23,932
 12-24-2014, 05:16 AM
User Info
I knew someone would get to that, Johnny!

I could not see the shavette make and did not ask.
But the three key products I did see were:

Lucky Tiger lemon cleansing cream
http://www.getluckytiger.com/products/le...ing-cream/

El Patrón shaving cream
http://www.elpatronmensgrooming.com/stor...31cf5b6d27

FoneX aftershave balm (Ocean Blue)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00514M...BV0JC1X721

8 948
 12-24-2014, 06:21 AM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
It's nice to feel pampered sometimes. Wink

0 76
 12-24-2014, 09:12 AM
User Info
Happy Belated Birthday and congratulations on the shave! Thumbup

83 21,111
 12-24-2014, 09:31 AM
User Info
I had my first head shave done on a whim on a trip to Vegas. you definitely could get used to that kind of pampering. have never looked back and headshave at least 2 times a week.

76 1,331
 12-24-2014, 11:04 AM
User Info
About 3 weeks ago I took my 27 year old son to a Roosters to treat him to a haircut and shave to celebrate his landing a good, new job. He didn't realize the shave would be with a disposable unless you as for the shavette. So he ended up getting the standard shave whereas I did ask for the shavette.

Nice being pampered, and we both felt fine immediately afterwards (due to some menthol in the pre-shave prep). However, later that afternoon it was apparent we both had a fair amount of razor burn. Two days later, when I did my own, normal straight shave routine, I still felt a little of the old burn.

I had been to a different Roosters location a couple years ago for a haircut and disposable shave as a gift from wife, so I knew going in this time that they're very expensive: ~$70 apiece for a haircut and shave.

Had a warm towel over my eyes most of the time, and there were a lot of different products on her work counter, but I believe I saw a few Jack Black shave products in the mix.

Both women were very nice. And it is a full-bore 7 step treatment including hot towel prep, preshave oils (where the soothing menthol is applied), aftershave, talcum powder, etc. But I doubt either of us will feel inclined to drop that much on a haircut and shave again...

3 147
 12-24-2014, 12:08 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
When doing the barberiana hobby I read a great deal about barbershops in the past and was astounded by the services and skills of barbering during the Barber shop's Golden Age from the 1880's to 1940's.

Barbers of that period were skilled at shaving because it was such a standard service and a barber's reputation could be built on how many shaves he could give in one day.

A hair cut , shampoo, manicure , after shave, cologne, facials, shoes shine , even a beer from the bar next door , that was standard .

Comparing barbering today with yesterday , a vast difference, in skill and services.

15 541
 12-24-2014, 01:49 PM
User Info
Cannot wait to get a straight razor barber shave one day!

1 1,975
 01-02-2015, 11:18 AM
User Info
man, there is nothing in the world quite like a really good shave from the barbershop!

0 189
 01-02-2015, 01:19 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-24-2014, 03:42 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: The barber -- female, neither young nor old -- was skillful and my face felt great afterward.

When I lived in Sapporo, Japan, in the late years of the Lyndon Johnson Administration, I used to get my hair cut at the Student Union of the University of Hokkaido (Hokudai). The barbers there were all nubile young (in their 20s) Japanese women, and the haircut included a shave and a facial and neck massage. I always was impatient for my hair to grow out to necessitate a return visit.

I cannot recall exactly what the price was back then, but it was something on the order of ¥180, or about 50¢ equivalent at the then exchange rate of ¥360 to $1.00.

Those were the days.

1 1,110
 01-02-2015, 06:29 PM
User Info
(01-02-2015, 01:19 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 03:42 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: The barber -- female, neither young nor old -- was skillful and my face felt great afterward.

When I lived in Sapporo, Japan, in the late years of the Lyndon Johnson Administration, I used to get my hair cut at the Student Union of the University of Hokkaido (Hokudai). The barbers there were all nubile young (in their 20s) Japanese women, and the haircut included a shave and a facial and neck massage. I always was impatient for my hair to grow out to necessitate a return visit.

I cannot recall exactly what the price was back then, but it was something on the order of ¥180, or about 50¢ equivalent at the then exchange rate of ¥360 to $1.00.

Those were the days.

Hokkaido is the only major Japanese island I have not been to. As long ago as this was, it still makes me feel like I'm missing out.

8 948
 01-03-2015, 05:09 AM
User Info
The following post is one I posted on another forum years ago:

I've never had a barber shave that equaled the results of one administered by myself. That said, I've had many that were memorable.

Case in point; While walking down a dirt side street in northern Thailand 25 years ago I saw in an open doorway an old enameled American barber chair. A smiling gentleman with a comb in his pocket turned out to be the local barber. Curiosity and foolhardiness had me using hand gestures (language barrier) to inquire as to whether he provided shaves. The smile grew larger with the affirmative answer. So I plopped my 240 lb self down in the already weighty chair and the rickety wooden floor went into immediate oscillations.

It seems that in Thailand, many personal services come with a perfunctory massage. This was no exception. Head, neck, shoulders and belly!? We’re off to a good start.

Hot towels and aromatic oils, getting better.

Out comes a mug with a puck of something soon to be lathery in it. Good too.

Here comes the brush. A bunch of feathers (chicken?) tied tightly together! Hmm.

The razor; an old straight with very little metal left on it, sharpened on a round, coarse stone. Reminiscent of a boning knife. !!!

The results are not worth mentioning however the gentleman was so pleased with his work (my beard is a challenge) that he felt compelled to provide a post-shave massage as well.

Here’s the good part; As he rhythmically kneaded my neck, he started chanting an almost Zen like mantra, what I presume to be the only English he knew (probably learned from a previous customer): “OK USA, Chicago number one, OK USA, Chicago number one…..” He periodically stopped and looked at me for affirmation and approval.

I couldn't let him down so I thanked him, praised his work and agreed that Chicago was #1. I know he didn't understand me when I said “whaddaya nuts? I’m a Yankee fan!”

So If anybody reads this that taught him that, Cubs or White Sox?

2 205
 01-08-2015, 03:19 AM
  • Amzimbo
  • Smooth as a fresh shaven diplomat
  • New Jersey and Mozambique
User Info
York Barbers, 71 st and Lexington in NYC. Hot towels, head , neck and face massage, pre-shave ointment, lather, brush and shavette. Sharif has an excellent, light touch. One pass with touch up. Cold towel after. $35. Good value, although I get a better, BBS when I do it myself with three passes.

5 85
 02-08-2015, 11:04 AM
User Info
I felt the urge to try a barber shave too. I was still working on my DE shaving technique and hadn't achieved a really close shave at home yet. I found a guy locally who offers wet shaves in his barber shop so I had a whirl. I am the sort of person who generally dislikes people fussing around too close to me. Getting a haircut and visiting the dentist are both occasions that I don't enjoy. Even before any discomfort begins, just having the dentist hovering is distressful.

So, I get in the chair not knowing what to expect, but somehow I had imagined soap in a mug with brush and a hand stropped straight razor. Instead, I got warm lather splootched out of a machine and a shavette. The shave was OK (nice hot towels and all), but I have subsequently been able to give myself a far superior shave at home. It was a disappointment, plain and simple.

Having had time to think about it I imagine that, in days of yore, one would most likely patronize the same barber each time. A good barber would come to know your beard over time, and be able to give a closer, smoother shave as he became more familiar with your beard (problem areas, danger zones, and etc). I think that my barber was simply determined not to nick me, whatever else happened.

Anyway, I've had my barber shave, and I've been to the horse races, and I've seen a Chinese opera. For me, in all these cases, once was enough. That's not to say I disliked any of the three - only that I'm pleased to have had the experience but, if it never recurs, that's fine with me.
Euro

5 395
 02-12-2015, 02:31 PM
User Info
I have two experiences with barbershop shaves that I thought worth sharing. 

The second of them was a straight razor shave I set up for one of my friends on his wedding day.  Not a great shave, but a great experience.  Older gentlemen, classic shop, white barber coat, quiet, snowy morning, warm inside.  He did give me a good cut on the cheek but rubbed it with some kind of salve that took care of it.  Very enjoyable.  Don't remember the cost, maybe $30ish with a generous tip.

The first straight razor shave, or rather a shavette, was done and the US Disciplinary Barracks on Fort Leavenworth.  This is a barber shop run by the military prison using inmates as the barbers, in part to give them skills for after prison.  I did not decide on a shave here lightly.  I had gotten weekly haircuts from the same barber, we'll call him Inmate Smith, for a year, and always had him shave the back of my neck and over the ears with a razor.  I had developed some trust and rapport--but wanted to try the full shave, so scheduled it.  The lather came from a machine and wasn't terribly slick, but the hot towel treatment and care of the shave were phenomenal.  (I should note that all of the barbers at this shop consider themselves quite lucky to have such a gig, and take A LOT of due care in any haircut.  One did a lot of women's hairstyling, he was good enough).  The shave was not super close, but there is something about a convict doing your neck and throat that provides a certain thrill.   Biggrin   At the time (about six years ago), I did not know what Smith was in for, but learned last year from another on the prison staff that he was also a convicted murderer, and that in fact, all of the barbers were.   Shok

Cost: $3.75 - Absolutely no tips!

29 257
 02-14-2015, 05:18 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I have skipped two barber shaves for fear of someone else holding a very sharp object to my throat.  That was years before I started shaving with a straight myself.  lately I have been wanting to give it a try.  my barber still does them as do several upscale places in town.  just have not made the appointment yet.

9 462
 06-13-2015, 11:08 PM
User Info
(02-12-2015, 02:31 PM)Streambrewer Wrote: The first straight razor shave, or rather a shavette, was done and the US Disciplinary Barracks on Fort Leavenworth.  This is a barber shop run by the military prison using inmates as the barbers, in part to give them skills for after prison.  I did not decide on a shave here lightly.  I had gotten weekly haircuts from the same barber, we'll call him Inmate Smith, for a year, and always had him shave the back of my neck and over the ears with a razor.  I had developed some trust and rapport--but wanted to try the full shave, so scheduled it.  The lather came from a machine and wasn't terribly slick, but the hot towel treatment and care of the shave were phenomenal.  (I should note that all of the barbers at this shop consider themselves quite lucky to have such a gig, and take A LOT of due care in any haircut.  One did a lot of women's hairstyling, he was good enough).  The shave was not super close, but there is something about a convict doing your neck and throat that provides a certain thrill.   Biggrin   At the time (about six years ago), I did not know what Smith was in for, but learned last year from another on the prison staff that he was also a convicted murderer, and that in fact, all of the barbers were.   Shok

Cost: $3.75 - Absolutely no tips!

Very courageous of you sir!! That would be quite a thrill, but one i'm not sure I would partake in lol.

46 1,102
 06-14-2015, 10:00 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Great stories gentlemen.  I think I'll skip the barbershop shave as I now feel like I've experienced it first hand.

17 447