12-24-2014, 08:04 AM
User Info
Today I shall receive a Bonavita variable temperature electric kettle. No more shall I use a small pot on the stove to boil water for coffee.

Conveniently I also received a gift this Christmas in the form of a Bodum electric burr grinder! Which means no more using my Hario hand grinder (which don't get me wrong, is nice, but sometimes you don't feel like grinding coffee at 7am.)

I think I will also try to get into the tea world this upcoming year as a new year's resolution. Something to drink at night (so probably leaning towards infusions), and experimenting with a few different methods including my Aeropress (which supposedly *can* be used for tea, and several people on Reddit's /r/tea do so.)

Or maybe I'll get a Chemex Angel

12 1,247
 12-24-2014, 09:06 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(12-24-2014, 08:04 AM)insomniac Wrote: Today I shall receive a Bonavita variable temperature electric kettle. No more shall I use a small pot on the stove to boil water for coffee.

Conveniently I also received a gift this Christmas in the form of a Bodum electric burr grinder! Which means no more using my Hario hand grinder (which don't get me wrong, is nice, but sometimes you don't feel like grinding coffee at 7am.)

I think I will also try to get into the tea world this upcoming year as a new year's resolution. Something to drink at night (so probably leaning towards infusions), and experimenting with a few different methods including my Aeropress (which supposedly *can* be used for tea, and several people on Reddit's /r/tea do so.)

Or maybe I'll get a Chemex Angel
Good for you. You are moving into some nice equipment. Enjoy it in the year to come

68 1,046
 12-24-2014, 12:04 PM
  • bythbook
  • New York (STATE not city)
User Info
Please let us know how the variable temp kettle works out - I'm constantly fighting with water temp w/ Aeropress, Melita pour-over, etc....

...and, obviously, burr grinders are the nuts.

3 16
 12-25-2014, 08:29 AM
User Info
So far I'm quite happy - typically when making coffee with the Aeropress I had to do a countdown which *usually* got me the right temperature. At least from the cups of coffee I have made so far, that's simply not necessary anymore - and of course I have plenty of hot water to add to the cup if needed.

This is my first electric kettle period, and the speed is amazing.

There is one thing about pour-overs - I know many people with them recommend getting the Bonavita 'gooseneck' model, which has a small spout for ease of pouring. That also means a lower pour rate. I didn't get that model for a few reasons, mostly I'm very happy with the Aeropress and if I really want to get into pourovers someday, I can always upgrade and give the variable unit to the SO who is a tea drinker.

Side note: I bought a gift pack of loose tea to try, and used my Aeropress to make Earl Grey. It actually worked! The tea surprisingly didn't pick up a coffee note that I could detect, though I think if this was going to be a regular thing I'd buy another Aeropress since they are cheap enough. Also the tea came out good, I'll try some white tea later.

12 1,247