12-26-2014, 06:01 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I'm thinking of taking advantage of quantity pricing on Proraso red in the tube. Will the unused product remain fresh and usable for up to 2-3 years?

4 1,912
 12-26-2014, 06:30 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Dunno @ Proraso, but I've had other tubes in the 2 year range that have been good

19 724
 12-26-2014, 08:17 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
If you keep the cap on securely and don't use them, then they should. In the past I have stocked up on Proraso when I travel to Italy and they are perfect after a few years. As a matter of fact, I still have a tube of the old formula that is good.

The only time I have seen a change in the consistency of the cream is on a Proraso tube that I used to use regularly and the cap broke/came apart(so it wasn't fully secure), and stopped using for a few years for some reason. When I came back to it, the cream was just thicker, especially at the tube opening, but still perfectly usable.

34 1,628
 12-26-2014, 09:06 AM
User Info
All bets are off when it comes to whether a cream will last longer than about 18 months or so. Those creams have some nice preservatives in them, but if the container gets contaminated with bacteria or fungi, it is not enough to make them last 2-3 years.

Store in a cool, dry place and always keep the tube fully closed. When using the cream, take off the cap, squeeze the cream into a bowl or onto the brush without touching the tube to anything. Close the tube completely and place back in storage before you even lather the cream.

This method will provide the best chance of making it to 2-3 years with good, usable cream.

2 1,387
 12-26-2014, 12:11 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I can tell you that Tabula Rasa lasts only a year (or less). I assume that it has zero preservatives in it.

Or argan oil has a short life.

57 1,562
 12-27-2014, 11:19 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to decide if the savings are substantial enough to justify the purchase.

Wait, did I just say that?

4 1,912
 12-27-2014, 12:05 PM
User Info
I have a tube of NOS Palmolive brushless cream from the 50‘s and its still good, I tried some when I found it. It worked great. Eyepop

6 589
 12-27-2014, 01:22 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Some creams may separate from disuse. I know for a fact that Ingrams cream (UK) sometimes sits on the store shelf for so long that they are separated at the time of purchase.
But squeezing the tubes with the cap on should re-mix the ingredients.
But I haven't heard of a cream going 'bad'. I've heard of Cella going 'bad' where the unsaponified fats went rancid.
Interesting about the Tabula Rasa. I guess I need to use mine more often.

47 1,901
 01-01-2015, 02:13 PM
User Info
I have several Coates travel tubes and have had no problems with them. These are several years old now as Coates hasn't been made for some time. Each tube is 50 mm and stored in a box in a cabinet drawer until it's time for a new one. So far each tube has been fine, lathers well and the scent is still good even though Coates scent was always subtle.

44 486
 01-01-2015, 03:50 PM
User Info
It's kind of hard to compare new Proraso to older tubes of Palmolive or even Coates - both of those had preservatives in them. Newer creams don't, and won't have that long a shelf life as a result.

12 1,247
 01-01-2015, 05:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-01-2015, 03:50 PM)insomniac Wrote: It's kind of hard to compare new Proraso to older tubes of Palmolive or even Coates - both of those had preservatives in them. Newer creams don't, and won't have that long a shelf life as a result.

That's interesting. Any idea when preservatives were eliminated from modern formulas?

4 1,912
 01-01-2015, 09:48 PM
User Info
(01-01-2015, 05:19 PM)chazt Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 03:50 PM)insomniac Wrote: It's kind of hard to compare new Proraso to older tubes of Palmolive or even Coates - both of those had preservatives in them. Newer creams don't, and won't have that long a shelf life as a result.

That's interesting. Any idea when preservatives were eliminated from modern formulas?

A few years ago, depends on the product. Coates was never produced in a paraben-free format so they all have preservatives, Proraso made the switch at (I believe) the same time the packaging changed, so I'm not sure the modern Red even came in a form with parabens.

12 1,247