12-26-2014, 12:59 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I will be in SF the next fews days. Any recommendation for a store with excellent shaving supply. I am especially, especially interested in brushes and soaps.
Thanks!

37 1,862
 12-26-2014, 05:58 PM
User Info
Georg, you liking brushes? Can't be possible! Biggrin

Enjoy your trip, my friend!

83 21,077
 12-27-2014, 05:30 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Thanks!
Biggrin
(12-26-2014, 05:58 PM)celestino Wrote: Georg, you liking brushes? Can't be possible! Biggrin

Enjoy your trip, my friend!

37 1,862
 12-27-2014, 05:45 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
German,
The Nancy Boy shop is in San Francisco. I was there a few years back, but don't remember the address. Nancy Boy makes a topnotch shave cream.

150 3,029
 12-27-2014, 06:48 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-26-2014, 12:59 PM)German Wrote: I will be in SF the next fews days. Any recommendation for a store with excellent shaving supply. I am especially, especially interested in brushes and soaps.
I shall be interested in seeing the responses to this thread, also.

We currently are in Oakland visiting our son and his family; his professional offices are in downtown San Francisco. For Christmas, we gave him a L'Occitaine Plisson synthetic shave brush to replace his worn out boar brush. He was introduced to shaving soaps many years ago by borrowing the Colonel Conk Amber pucks that I was using at the time, and he has used Colonel Conk ever since. This week, however, he will be using Cold River Shaving Works Vetiver Terreux (in the gorgeous acacia bowl -- his wife immediately coveted the bowl itself) that we gave him to accompany the Plisson brush, and I expect that the experience will cause him to want to explore further.

1 1,086
 12-27-2014, 08:13 AM
User Info
I don't think there's much. You might like to visit Lehr's, which is a German specialty shop. They carry Tabac and Speick. There's the aforementioned Nancy Boy for creams and AS. There's an AOS store which I think is near Union Square. Cable Car Clothiers carries some English items like MWF but I hear it's very pricey. Carmel Pharmacy carries a wide selection of good things including Simpson but it's a long way from SF.

(12-26-2014, 12:59 PM)German Wrote: I will be in SF the next fews days. Any recommendation for a store with excellent shaving supply. I am especially, especially interested in brushes and soaps.
Thanks!

15 771
 12-27-2014, 09:33 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
DO NOT spend money @ CCC! I say this, not in malice but reality. In the 70s I assembled my first gentleman's
wardrobe there and learned from the vintage displays.
The problem is they moved to a new location with high rent and prices rose beyond any rational- except a
loyal customer base with more money than brains keep them going.
Please, if you visit the tea garden in Golden Gate Park give the Buddha a bow and my respects.
There was an amazing barbershop off West MacArthur BLVD during my time. The owner was retired WW2 navy, survived the explosion that led to mass courtmartials of black sailors.
I had the best time there; listening to Perry Como, Nat king Cole and Sinatra and staring at endless products for black men that didn't work very well on meBiggrin
His wife would come in with lunch from a Jewish deli and Nehi sodas,dressed to the 9s with white gloves looking like Eartha Kitt and commenting how good her two sailors looked.
It's a lousy coffeeshop with ersatz fusion jass now as Oakland is 'gentrified' by tech workers who can't afford SFAngry

2 3,171
 12-27-2014, 10:06 AM
User Info
(12-27-2014, 06:48 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: We currently are in Oakland visiting our son and his family; his professional offices are in downtown San Francisco. For Christmas, we gave him a L'Occitaine Plisson synthetic shave brush to replace his worn out boar brush. He was introduced to shaving soaps many years ago by borrowing the Colonel Conk Amber pucks that I was using at the time, and he has used Colonel Conk ever since. This week, however, he will be using Cold River Shaving Works Vetiver Terreux (in the gorgeous acacia bowl -- his wife immediately coveted the bowl itself) that we gave him to accompany the Plisson brush, and I expect that the experience will cause him to want to explore further.

Wow! What a difference in soaps! I think he is going to notice a great improvement with his shaves and the scents. Well done! Thumbup

83 21,077
 12-27-2014, 02:30 PM
User Info
don't know of any shave places. might I suggest Scoma's restaurant next to fisherman's wharf. Dungeness is in season and the have sand dabs. just sayin

73 1,296
 12-27-2014, 04:48 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Thanks to all... Just landed... !

37 1,862
 12-27-2014, 05:58 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-27-2014, 10:06 AM)celestino Wrote:
(12-27-2014, 06:48 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: He was introduced to shaving soaps many years ago by borrowing the Colonel Conk Amber pucks that I was using at the time, and he has used Colonel Conk ever since. This week, however, he will be using Cold River Shaving Works Vetiver Terreux (in the gorgeous acacia bowl . . .

Wow! What a difference in soaps! I think he is going to notice a great improvement with his shaves and the scents. Well done! Thumbup

My prediction of "this week" seems to have been a bit off. Our son inherited my extreme stinginess and aversion to waste of any kind; he told me today that he feels that he must completely finish off his current puck of Col. Conk before he can begin to use the CRSW soap. No "rotation" for him!

1 1,086
 12-27-2014, 07:43 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Just made a reservation for dinner...
(12-27-2014, 02:30 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: don't know of any shave places. might I suggest Scoma's restaurant next to fisherman's wharf. Dungeness is in season and the have sand dabs. just sayin

37 1,862
 12-28-2014, 01:17 PM
User Info
Enjoy the food, Georg! Biggrin

83 21,077
 01-06-2015, 09:52 PM
User Info
Don't know if you're interested in shops in the south Bay, but this place in not far from where I live and has a selection of high quality brushes plus a few razors:

Williams Cutlery & Gifts
Cambrian Park Plaza Shopping Center
14824 Camden Avenue, San Jose, CA
(408) 558-9411

Good luck!

0 35
 02-20-2016, 09:53 AM
User Info
I dig up this post. I'll be touring in California, Nevada and Arizona next summer with my family and i was wondering if you guys can give me some good recommendations for shaving supply stores. I will be looking some US artisan soaps (eg. Cold River Soaps, Soap Commander) and after shaves to stock, DE blades, or a badger brush eventually. Thanks!

0 6
 02-20-2016, 03:08 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
BULLGOOSE!

2 3,171
 02-20-2016, 04:11 PM
User Info
Yes, Bullgoose if you are in SoCal.

In SF, Nancy Boy is a great shop. Don't let the name sway you. It's a classy shop in the quaint neighborhood of Hayes Valley. I'd recommend you check out the Biergarten, Smitten Ice Cream, and Ritual Coffee while you are in the neighborhood. They are all right next to each other.

Otherwise, another great men's store is Wingtip. They have St. James of London creams and some Muhle hardware. It's just a cool store. They have a bunch of other nice stuff, and I believe, a barber shop as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 282
 02-21-2016, 09:49 AM
User Info
Thanks Kav & Watson15 for all these info. Cool. I paste that on my shopping list right now.

0 6
 02-21-2016, 03:38 PM
User Info
(02-20-2016, 09:53 AM)maclio Wrote: I dig up this post. I'll be touring in California, Nevada and Arizona next summer with my family and i was wondering if you guys can give me some good recommendations for shaving supply stores. I will be looking some US artisan soaps (eg. Cold River Soaps, Soap Commander) and after shaves to stock, DE blades, or a badger brush eventually. Thanks!
Are you coming to Phoenix? If so, there are a couple shops here and I can give you recommendations on restaurants.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

0 6
 03-06-2016, 05:53 AM
User Info
Hi ob1page
thanks for your message: Yes, we'll come by the good town of Phoenix on our way from Flagstaff to Palm Springs / San Diego.
I take all recommendations for any good shaving supplies shop in the Cali / Arizona & Nevada :-)

0 6