12-26-2014, 07:51 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Do you remember when Panna Crema first arrived? Do you remember how it was virtually impossible to get b/c they were always sold out? Were you one of the stubbled hordes that checked their website for the date and exact hour they would start taking orders? Do you remember the greatest rate of use of the word "Wow!" per thread in shaving forum history?

Now no one talks about it. You rarely even see it listed in threads aimed at disclosing posters' favorite soaps. There still must be some faithful users, but I rarely reach for it myself and it just seems to have fallen off the radar.

Was it not that great? I guess it was a fad, but many other artisan soaps have stuck around and are constantly mentioned; we know who they are. Frankly I have not seen such clamor followed by a sobering lull for any other product.

Can you think of other products that had a similar come/went cycle?

1 795
 12-26-2014, 08:36 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
I still use and enjoy PannaCrema. It is in my rotation and is a wonderful soap. It is easy to lather and provides excellent cushion, slickness and post shave feel.

When I was ABLE to purchase from their web site, I stocked up with 3 pucks and have not had occasion to purchase it again, but when I am out, I will restock.

0 230
 12-26-2014, 08:56 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(12-26-2014, 08:36 PM)clk Wrote: I still use and enjoy PannaCrema. It is in my rotation and is a wonderful soap. It is easy to lather and provides excellent cushion, slickness and post shave feel.

+1

PC is a regular in my rotation. I prefer it over Jabonman, which is another artisanal soap that is a bit of a challenge to procure.

60 1,599
 12-26-2014, 09:00 PM
User Info
It's carried by Italian Barber now, so easy to procure

The soap is still a wonderful performer IMHO and in regular rotation in my den

3 254
 12-26-2014, 11:02 PM
User Info
William Newman is another that was on the scene one moment and gone the next. At least so it seems to me.

31 8,057
 12-27-2014, 01:45 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
There are just so many artisan soaps available just in the past 2 years that some of the first on the scene have been crowded out by the sheer volume.

15 541
 12-27-2014, 01:50 AM
  • Owl
  • Sweden
User Info
If an artisan isn't active on the social media and promote their stuff, eventually the fad dies down and others take its place. I got three Panna Crema pucks and still got them, they are great soaps but until I run out I'm not really looking.

0 24
 12-27-2014, 02:41 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
I still find Pannacrema soaps to be among the best performing artisan soaps out there, particularly for those that, like me, really enjoy tallow based soaps.
My only problem with Pannacrema is that I don't find the majority of the scents interesting, only a couple of them really appeal to me. In that respect, most of the newer artisans that have arrived to the scene afterwards rarely disappoint.

26 4,928
 12-27-2014, 03:57 AM
User Info
Pannacrema Namaste is a regular in my rotation, great soap! I agree that a number of his scents aren't terribly interesting, probably why I only have one now.

Cold River Select soaps have replaced it though as my all-time favorite.

53 1,199
 12-27-2014, 06:08 AM
User Info
(12-26-2014, 08:36 PM)clk Wrote: I still use and enjoy PannaCrema. It is in my rotation and is a wonderful soap. It is easy to lather and provides excellent cushion, slickness and post shave feel.

When I was ABLE to purchase from their web site, I stocked up with 3 pucks and have not had occasion to purchase it again, but when I am out, I will restock.

+1

0 113
 12-27-2014, 08:05 AM
User Info
I really liked Pannacrema but I was never able to find a scent that I really enjoyed

11 489
 12-27-2014, 08:32 AM
User Info
I had a few, but the only scent I really liked was Namaste, and wouldn't you know that one made my skin burn.

It's still excellent soap, but there are now other artisan varieties made closer that I like as much or more with better scents.

9 112
 12-27-2014, 08:52 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(12-27-2014, 08:05 AM)Banes_Pubes Wrote: I really liked Pannacrema but I was never able to find a scent that I really enjoyed

Namaste and San Francesco seem to gather most preferences. My personal favorite, however, is Nostalgia. Perhaps try one of these.

26 4,928
 12-27-2014, 09:07 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Personal preferences are a curious matter.

Scentwise, I enjoy Lavandotto. Namaste didn't resonate with me.

Obviously this is a case of YMMV.

60 1,599
 12-27-2014, 10:22 AM
User Info
I have 4 of them - Lavandotto, Nostalgia, Namaste and San Francesco. I really like them. Up there with the other artisan tallows like B&M and Mike's. They don't seem to have the same marketing technique as a lot of the other artisans with seasonal/limited edition releases or limited availability since IB now carries them. Scarcity seems to generate a lot of excitement. The scents aren't in your face either (pun intended). Just great soap with pleasant scents. I'm not sure I'll replace mine when done, but it wouldn't be because of any dissatisfaction with them. There's just so much stuff to try nowadays.

3 19
 12-27-2014, 12:47 PM
User Info
I am actually glad the hype is over!
Back to normal business.

Pannacrema is one of my favourites, the Lavandotto especially.
I have 4 in stock but will restock when I run out of it.

0 661
 12-27-2014, 01:28 PM
  • jjfar
  • Young priest in a big parish
  • North Carolina
User Info
The new flavor du jure is Catie's Bubbles
I guess

49 518
 12-27-2014, 04:05 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I'm glad that I discovered PC. Very few soaps make the final cut for me since I have very sensitive skin & a very coarse/dense beard. Most fragrances annoy my skin. For the rest - protection during shave & post-shave feel is the criterion used to make the cut.

Panna Crema performed great for me & is a staple of my rotation.

17 535
 12-27-2014, 05:57 PM
User Info
Nothing against PC but there are so many other great soaps for less. I have used several PC soaps but as stated the scents didn't really catch me and while it provided a nice shave, I get better from others.

147 3,537
 12-27-2014, 06:42 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I'm a fan of PannaCrema soaps. I have enjoyed a few of their scents, and others didn't do it for me. It's still a great soap, but I believe it doesn't get a lot of hype anymore for a couple of reasons...

First, their production/availability seemed to stabilize since last year, so there's no longer the hype around "when are they going to release more", and "I wonder what scents will be available." Right or wrong, their previous limited production was both frustrating, but also generated lots of talk/speculation. Now that you can get pretty much all flavors whenever you want, there really isn't a whole lot of excitement around that aspect.

Second, many more artisan substitutes popped up over the past two years, which distracted all the soap fanatics, except those most loyal to PC.

Finally...we are now spoiled. When PC first came out, there were few other soaps that performed as well, so of course that's all you heard about. Now, many artisans can match that performance and even surpass it. Also, PC is not bringing out any new scents on a regular basis. As many new artisans are establishing their business models, we are seeing a lot of new scents from them, and part of me feels like we sort of expect it now. PC easily gets lost/diluted within the very many artisan substitutes out there. They seem to be focused on adding more products (non-soap) to their business anyway.

They compare to some well-established artisans such as Mike's Natural, QCS, and Strop Shoppe...they don't get a lot of hype anymore either and they are still excellent. Same with well-stablished commercial soaps...DR Harris (prior to releasing the new Sandlewood soap), MWF, C&E to name a few.

34 1,628