12-27-2014, 03:45 PM
User Info
Today I went for my usual haircut. Get in the chair and barber proceeds at what he does so well. My barber is a older guy. He and his son run the shop. No frills shop. Just some chairs, coffee maker and big screen for sports. Total guy place!! As he's cutting I mention I use a DE, brush and soap. He looks at me like I was out of my mind!!! He then asks "why"? I proceeded to mention the usual good stuff of wet shaving and a DE. He the said he uses a cart razor with the moving ball. NO!!!!!! It can't be. My old school barber is using a Fusion Pro Glide. He also recommended this. Left his shop with a great haircut but shocked at the same time. Sorry for being longwinded but I had to share with The Nook.

3 218
 12-27-2014, 04:14 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I have spoken to a lot of older gentlemen who originally started with DEs - and they all have a similar opinion. IMHO - carts are more foolproof and to get excellent performance from DE requires more mindfulness & development of technique. So for that generation - moving to carts provided improved performance on average (i.e. closer, faster, safer shaves).

As for wet-shaving (i.e. shaving with brush/soap and with proper prep) - I think any barber who does straight shaves can see why it would provide better performance. Does your barber provide straight razor shaves?

17 535
 12-27-2014, 04:23 PM
User Info
i prefer being mindful. op, change your barber right away to one that shaves with a straight and doesn't have a large screen. radio is acceptable though Biggrin

7 1,624
 12-27-2014, 04:43 PM
User Info
I never gotten a shave from him. I know he uses a straight to shave the back of your neck. He and his son cut great so I will continue using them. I can see how older people like the cart. My dad is the same way. Looked at me weird when I asked for his old DE's. I just didn't expect it from my barber. Oh well.LOL

3 218
 12-27-2014, 06:50 PM
User Info
My dad is the same way. He's not critical, but I can tell he's not sure why I bother. The upside is that he gives me his old gear.

0 1,071
 12-27-2014, 07:00 PM
User Info
Haha it is what it is, us guys that join shaving forums are in the minority. I personally enjoy shaving with a DE but I think most guys are happy to get their shave over with as soon as possible, if they shave at all. To each their own.

5 79
 12-27-2014, 10:25 PM
User Info
Well, if he is enjoying it, then so be it! I had always thought with age came wisdom. Biggrin

83 21,077
 12-27-2014, 10:33 PM
User Info
I always have and will prefer any old school method of activity and even pleasures. To each his own though. ..

1 1,975
 12-27-2014, 10:48 PM
User Info
I listened to his suggestion. I didn't want to be rude. To be honest my face feels a lot better using a DE, brush and soap. I also mentioned how many shaves I got out of carts but he still wasn't convinced. The shock has worn off and now I just chuckle. To each his own. YMMV for sure!!LOL

3 218
 12-27-2014, 10:56 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(12-27-2014, 10:25 PM)celestino Wrote: Well, if he is enjoying it, then so be it! I had always thought with age came wisdom. Biggrin

I have age and I have wisdom. At least when it comes to shaving.

178 23,809
 12-28-2014, 12:08 AM
User Info
(12-27-2014, 10:48 PM)Rallypoint_1 Wrote: I listened to his suggestion. I didn't want to be rude. To be honest my face feels a lot better using a DE, brush and soap. I also mentioned how many shaves I got out of carts but he still wasn't convinced. The shock has worn off and now I just chuckle. To each his own. YMMV for sure!!LOL

so, in a way, by suppressing your own views, views that you instinctively imagined being slightly offensive to him, in the name of diplomacy you allowed him to be rude to you Biggrin

7 1,624
 12-28-2014, 02:37 AM
  • Owl
  • Sweden
User Info
To be fair, the old guys probably didnt have mantic59 on youtube to teach them to shave. I bet they used them like people who have no clue use them today do on the first try, pressure, bad angle and no thought about direction of the grain. And then you get irritation, cuts and bad results. Compare that to a cart, which does the angle for you. Doesn't mean he's right, but I can see how he'd get the idea.

0 24
 12-28-2014, 06:05 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I've been using the same barber for about 20 years now. Although I've never had a shave from him I know he uses a straight edge the few times he actually shaves a customer. He personally prefers and uses a panasonic electric tickler on his face. And claims to like it Confused

7 2,142
 12-28-2014, 06:35 AM
User Info
What is happening to our society? Smile

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

0 858
 12-28-2014, 07:31 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(12-27-2014, 03:45 PM)Rallypoint_1 Wrote: As he's cutting I mention I use a DE, brush and soap. He looks at me like I was out of my mind!!! He then asks "why"? I proceeded to mention the usual good stuff of wet shaving and a DE. He the said he uses a cart razor with the moving ball. NO!!!!!! It can't be.

If I read you correctly, you are confusing wet shaving (brush and lather) with naked blade shaving (DE, SE, or straight). Your barber said that he uses a cartridge -- a rational decision, though the specific cartridge that he uses is suboptimal. He did _ n o t _ say that he was using canned goop or shaving dry with the cartridge; that would be irrational.

(12-28-2014, 12:08 AM)tonsorius Wrote: so, in a way, by suppressing your own views, views that you instinctively imagined being slightly offensive to him, in the name of diplomacy you allowed him to be rude to you Biggrin

And the barber's rudeness was . . . ???

(12-28-2014, 02:37 AM)Owl Wrote: To be fair, the old guys probably didnt have mantic59 on youtube to teach them to shave. I bet they used them like people who have no clue use them today do on the first try, pressure, bad angle and no thought about direction of the grain. And then you get irritation, cuts and bad results. Compare that to a cart, which does the angle for you. Doesn't mean he's right, but I can see how he'd get the idea.

I expect that I am at least a decade older than that barber, and I did have mantic59 (and others) on YouTube to give tips on DE shaving from before the first time I picked up a DE razor last Spring. I bypassed the irritation, but I did get weepers for the first couple of weeks (I did not know how to remove my nose from my face before shaving my upper lip; now, I just set my nose down on the sink while shaving the lip). I enjoy shaving with the DE, more so since I discovered how much batter KAI blades were (for my face) than Gillette Silver Blues or Iridium Supers. But as for the end result ... I am not getting closer shaves or smoother shaves with a DE (at least with GSBs or Iridium Supers -- the KAIs, which are fairly new to me, show some promise of achieving what neither the GSBs nor Iridium Supers could do) than I did with the Schick Hydro razor that I had been using. DE is all about the process, much more about the process than the result; and shaving with a cartridge undoubtedly is f-a-s-t-e-r than shaving with a DE.

1 1,087
 12-28-2014, 08:25 AM
User Info
As for using canned goop....he does use the canned stuff. I failed do mention it in the original post. My head was in a tailspin! He probably did have bad experiences. He said you have to go slow, etc. I am 44yrs old and he's a lot older than me. Shaving is probably a chore for him and most people. So that's why he pushed the cart.

3 218
 12-28-2014, 08:27 AM
User Info
i thought that was implicit, but here we go:

op felt he would behave somewhat rude if he let know his frank opinion about the barber’s choice of razor and goo.

the barber on the other hand, give op the looks like op was out of his mind, and freely ask him "why"? that’s rude enough in my book, but i'm sure op's feelings was not severely hurt Tongue

(12-28-2014, 07:31 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(12-28-2014, 12:08 AM)tonsorius Wrote: so, in a way, by suppressing your own views, views that you instinctively imagined being slightly offensive to him, in the name of diplomacy you allowed him to be rude to you Biggrin

And the barber's rudeness was . . . ???

7 1,624
 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM
User Info
I'm not surprised he uses canned cream and Gillette Fusion (e.g modern methods/gear), 95% of people do. I guess that he, like most people, sees more value, comfort/familiarity, and efficiency in modern methods/gear than old ones.

I suppose in his mind, the use of boar brush, soap puck, and shavette probably seems as inefficient and out-dated as hand trimmers (versus electric trimmer) or an old, typewriter-key cash register (versus a digital register).

On the other hand, if the enough of his customers started asking for traditional wet-shaves with shavettes, then I'd bet that would be what he used.

Fortunately, some barbers still do have enough clients who prefer the traditional methods to be able to still offer them. I only wish more states allowed the use of traditional straights rather than limiting barbers to shavettes (e.g. disposable blades) for health code purposes...

3 147
 12-28-2014, 01:12 PM
  • jjfar
  • Young priest in a big parish
  • North Carolina
User Info
I used to go to the same barber every ten days or so,
older guy.Then he retired and his daughter took over.
I did not feel like breaking in a new barber to my preferences.
Now i just do it my self,takes a little longer
But no disapointments

49 518
 12-28-2014, 06:59 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(12-27-2014, 10:33 PM)C-NoEviL Wrote: I always have and will prefer any old school method of activity and even pleasures. To each his own though. ..
+1

7 2,327