12-27-2014, 08:35 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
OK, so now what do I do now? I got the Galaxy S5, I dig the size, everything seems intuitive enough to figure out- no problems there so far getting my preferences set up.

I chose to go this route after my aging 32gb 4S was barely getting a half day out of the battery. Although I was due for an upgrade, as many of us have figured out the new iPhone 6 I was going to get only comes in 16gb, but then leaps way up to 64gb, and 128gb. The 16gb which would have cost me about $189 is a joke for me capacity wise, so I started to mull over the 64gb until I saw what they wanted for it. $299 just for the phone with another 2 year contract? Seriously? Logic lead me to go for the $99 Galaxy S5- and I just got a phone that has a very impressive 16mp camera, I can replace the battery if it starts to fail, and has a slot for me to change capacity with the slip of a $35 64GB micro SD card. Seems like a no brainer, right?

So now I start snooping around Android's alter ego of iTunes- Google Play Store. Uh, how do I get all my music off my Mac onto my Android? Seems to be a tad sketchy which is not making me happy. Also, has anyone noticed the insane amount of your information many apps for Android make you agree to in order to download the app? I mean, they don't even give you options. If you want the app, your giving up your info, and quite a bit of it I might add. I'm sure this is old news to many, but it is quite the wake-up call for me.

Take Firefox for Android for instance- I love Firefox, but it was never available for iPhone. I go to download it from Google Play and needs access my device and app history, my identity including profile data and accounts, my device location, my phone and phone call log, access to all my photos/media/files on the phone, and use of the device's camera. Some apps are even telling me they want access to my camera and video at any time. Huh? I don't think so.

Am I getting a little freaked out over something I may be missing? What say ye gentleman of finery and finicky ways?

I'd love to hear some factoids and recommendations.

I'm not looking for an iPhone/Android bash-a-thon here, just trying to make the best out of my current ability to upgrade. I have 14 days to return this thing if it's not for me, so I'm trying to get all my options weighed out here before the 5th of next month. I gladly kept my old 4S just in case, plus the $40 they offered me for it seemed a joke for what my kids could bang around on it taking pics and using educational apps.

143 1,984
 12-27-2014, 08:51 PM
User Info
sorry i now nothing about samsung products, but a pia with 2 year contract - because then the phone has dropped considerably in value. here in norway it is only 1 year contracts for private consumers, which means i can sell my 1 year old (impeccable) iphone for $350-400, enough to cover cash for a new iphone. done this 4 times.

7 1,624
 12-27-2014, 09:06 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Don't you really think that you've already answered your question? It's a no brainer.

38 5,112
 12-27-2014, 09:11 PM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
(12-27-2014, 09:06 PM)evnpar Wrote: Don't you really think that you've already answered your question? It's a no brainer.

Yes, yes, I know. I'm just so deep in the Apple Kool-Aid after all these years that the leap is a bit feigned.

143 1,984
 12-27-2014, 10:18 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Jeff, years ago I put some of my CD albums onto iTunes. (I have never purchased music directly from iTunes.) Somehow, I was able to download my entire iTunes library from my iMac onto my Galaxy S5. The trouble is, I don't remember how I did it. Blush (The term technologically challenged was invented just for me. Rolleyes ). However, to get you started, here is a site I found on the internet that may help: http://www.androidcentral.com/how-get-yo...id#content.

I absolutely agree with you about the information that is collected. Honestly, I have to wonder if iOS is much different than Android. I have to decide which apps are important enough for me to divulge the information that is requested.

Overall, I have had my S5 since April and I must say that I really like it. At home, I use an iMac, iPad, and iPod. My phone is the only non-Apple device I use. However, to me, the operating systems (iOS and Android) are more alike than they are different as far as day to day use goes. I do prefer having the ability to slip an SD card into the S5 phone and the removable battery is also a plus.

I hope the link above can at least get you started on that music transfer. Good luck. Smile

2 11,211
 12-28-2014, 02:15 AM
User Info
The simple way to move files to/from an Android is simply to plug it in and simply copy them over... not sure if iTunes stores media in a format normal software can read though. I mostly put mp3's on my Xcover.

On a Samsung, you can also use the Kies software to shuffle files and keep the phone up to date - which is nice if your data is capped or slow.

As far as apps wanting access to parts of your phone... that happens on the iPhone as well (I have a 5S as my workphone), but you have to really dig through stuff to figure out what app access what information. Google Play may simply be a lot more up front about it.

Given a choice, I much prefer Android - even if the user experience on an iPhone tends to be more streamlined.

3 4,510
 12-28-2014, 03:55 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
My solution to the cell/mobile phone dilemma was quite simple: get rid of it. It's been eight years now and I don't miss a cell/mobile phone one bit. My bank account likes it too; I have better things to do with my money than spend it on a frippery such as a cell/mobile phone.

7 909
 12-28-2014, 05:19 AM
User Info
hans - true indeed with this access madness on phones. i have taken the trouble to learn every tiny detail of my iphone - so turned off most access wished by greedy apps. i find it rather convenient since most settings on my phone will automatically become the same when purchasing a new phone.

bryan - great choice by you to not having a mobile phone. unfortunately that would be pretty much impossible for me, using my iphone as a modem, paying all my bills, neccessary connection to alarm/fire system and various other tasks that would be impossible otherwise, when living on the countryside as i do. however, i have chosen to not having a car, so that's my amish-ish thing Biggrin

7 1,624
 12-28-2014, 05:50 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(12-28-2014, 05:19 AM)tonsorius Wrote: hans - true indeed with this access madness on phones. i have taken the trouble to learn every tiny detail of my iphone - so turned off most access wished by greedy apps. i find it rather convenient since most settings on my phone will automatically become the same when purchasing a new phone.

bryan - great choice by you to not having a mobile phone. unfortunately that would be pretty much impossible for me, using my iphone as a modem, paying all my bills, neccessary connection to alarm/fire system and various other tasks that would be impossible otherwise, when living on the countryside as i do. however, i have chosen to not having a car, so that's my amish-ish thing Biggrin

Marius, good for you not having a car. I'd like to get rid of ours, but unfortunately where we live, in suburbia, you can't live without a car as public transit is pathetic and it's too far to walk to most shops, banks, doctors' offices, etc. As concerns a mobile, I know some people need them, but my lifestyle and circumstances afford me the luxury of not needing one.

7 909
 12-28-2014, 08:25 AM
  • tc930
  • Ex-Lurker
  • southern California
User Info
(12-27-2014, 08:35 PM)Shanman Wrote: So now I start snooping around Android's alter ego of iTunes- Google Play Store. Uh, how do I get all my music off my Mac onto my Android? Seems to be a tad sketchy which is not making me happy.

Moving music is a pretty common thing, so there are plenty of apps for it. Search for iTunes on the Play Store and it will come up with quite a few. DoubleTwist is the one I hear about the most. I haven't used it, but I think it has both free and paid versions.

The only snag is if you have older music in your iTunes collection that still has Apple's old DRM protection; even so I recall there being a workaround involving iCloud to convert to non-DRM format.

Good luck

Tom

0 9
 12-28-2014, 09:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is why I just use an old outdated cellphone. I use it for two things, talking and taking my SOTD pictures. That's it. No internet, no texting, etc.

178 23,809
 12-28-2014, 10:26 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I also have a very outdated cellphone, what strikes me most is that a whole lot of people stare at me when I use it where as nobody takes notice of all the high end expensive ones that people hold into their hands Cool

28 1,442
 12-28-2014, 10:29 AM
User Info
Your SOTD photos are nice quality, Johnny. I never would have guessed they came from a cellphone camera.

(12-28-2014, 09:06 AM)Johnny Wrote: This is why I just use an old outdated cellphone. I use it for two things, talking and taking my SOTD pictures. That's it. No internet, no texting, etc.

29 1,776
 12-28-2014, 02:13 PM
User Info
(12-27-2014, 08:35 PM)Shanman Wrote: OK, so now what do I do now? I got the Galaxy S5, I dig the size, everything seems intuitive enough to figure out- no problems there so far getting my preferences set up.

I chose to go this route after my aging 32gb 4S was barely getting a half day out of the battery. Although I was due for an upgrade, as many of us have figured out the new iPhone 6 I was going to get only comes in 16gb, but then leaps way up to 64gb, and 128gb. The 16gb which would have cost me about $189 is a joke for me capacity wise, so I started to mull over the 64gb until I saw what they wanted for it. $299 just for the phone with another 2 year contract? Seriously? Logic lead me to go for the $99 Galaxy S5- and I just got a phone that has a very impressive 16mp camera, I can replace the battery if it starts to fail, and has a slot for me to change capacity with the slip of a $35 64GB micro SD card. Seems like a no brainer, right?

So now I start snooping around Android's alter ego of iTunes- Google Play Store. Uh, how do I get all my music off my Mac onto my Android? Seems to be a tad sketchy which is not making me happy. Also, has anyone noticed the insane amount of your information many apps for Android make you agree to in order to download the app? I mean, they don't even give you options. If you want the app, your giving up your info, and quite a bit of it I might add. I'm sure this is old news to many, but it is quite the wake-up call for me.

Take Firefox for Android for instance- I love Firefox, but it was never available for iPhone. I go to download it from Google Play and needs access my device and app history, my identity including profile data and accounts, my device location, my phone and phone call log, access to all my photos/media/files on the phone, and use of the device's camera. Some apps are even telling me they want access to my camera and video at any time. Huh? I don't think so.

Am I getting a little freaked out over something I may be missing? What say ye gentleman of finery and finicky ways?

I'd love to hear some factoids and recommendations.

I'm not looking for an iPhone/Android bash-a-thon here, just trying to make the best out of my current ability to upgrade. I have 14 days to return this thing if it's not for me, so I'm trying to get all my options weighed out here before the 5th of next month. I gladly kept my old 4S just in case, plus the $40 they offered me for it seemed a joke for what my kids could bang around on it taking pics and using educational apps.

I'm an android fan because of the reasons you listed: replaceable parts on my own, I can expand the system space and I prefer open source software, as much as possible.

anyhow, regarding the permissions stuff, it lists those because it's stuff that the app needs access to if you want it to access those items.

for example, in the facebook messenger app, you can take/upload photos, record stuff, make phone calls, etc....that's why those permissions are listed when you install the app.

40 5,830
 12-28-2014, 04:03 PM
User Info
(12-28-2014, 10:26 AM)Snuff Wrote: I also have a very outdated cellphone, what strikes me most is that a whole lot of people stare at me when I use it where as nobody takes notice of all the high end expensive ones that people hold into their hands Cool

Try carrying an HP (Palm) Veer around. I'm not sure if more people think I'm crazy for the wet shaving thing or for using a webOS phone. But I love the thing, and my HP Touchpad tablet too.

0 1,072
 12-28-2014, 11:22 PM
User Info
(12-28-2014, 04:03 PM)Shannons Soaps Wrote: Try carrying an HP (Palm) Veer around. I'm not sure if more people think I'm crazy for the wet shaving thing or for using a webOS phone. But I love the thing, and my HP Touchpad tablet too.

If the battery held a charge for more than an hour, I would still use my Palm Pilot M130... We got a Touchpad in the end-of-production firesale and it is a seriously good piece of kit, but sadly mostly unsupported these days - if I hadn't needed access to a couple of up-to-date apps for work I would have it as my daily carry Undecided

3 4,510
 12-29-2014, 09:08 AM
User Info
(12-28-2014, 11:22 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: We got a Touchpad in the end-of-production firesale and it is a seriously good piece of kit, but sadly mostly unsupported these days - if I hadn't needed access to a couple of up-to-date apps for work I would have it as my daily carry Undecided

Yeah... I will probably get to the point of needing new apps too someday.

I haven't tried it yet, but this looks promising:

http://www.openmobileww.com/#!acl-for-webos/ctog - It supposedly allows you to run Android apps within webOS.

And of course there's dual booting with Cyanogenmod, but that's Android.

Fingers crossed for this:

http://pivotce.com/tag/luneos/ - Based on Open webOS, supposed to work on the Touchpad and Nexus 4. It's not quite ready for prime time though. Since they're pilfering some Android components, I wonder if Android compatibility will be an option someday.

Sorry to hijack the thread... I love webOS. If I pony up the cash someday for a smart TV, it will probably be an LG, which of course uses LG's version of webOS.

0 1,072
 12-29-2014, 09:23 AM
User Info
Congrats Jeff and please don't get a hernia carrying that thing aroundBiggrin
Just kidding but I really like compact things and reliability so I will stick to my Android Mini.

121 13,126
 01-07-2015, 12:56 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Sorry you missed out on the iPhone 6. It is an excellent device.

37 1,863
 01-07-2015, 08:26 PM
  • Shanman
  • NE Florida
User Info
(01-07-2015, 12:56 PM)German Wrote: Sorry you missed out on the iPhone 6. It is an excellent device.

I don't doubt it, as it is very well received. I have no regrets getting this S5 though, after a small learing curve I am highly impressed.

143 1,984