12-29-2014, 06:00 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
I use this http://www.penshop.co.uk/products/graf-v...black-ink/

with all my FP (Waterman, Graf von Faber-Castell and Lamy al star) but I would like change one FP to different ink and colour(not standard blue). Also it would be good if it dry fairly quick as I am left handed.

Help please!

11 880
 12-29-2014, 10:26 AM
User Info
(12-29-2014, 06:00 AM)celar36 Wrote: I use this http://www.penshop.co.uk/products/graf-v...black-ink/

with all my FP (Waterman, Graf von Faber-Castell and Lamy al star) but I would like change one FP to different ink and colour(not standard blue). Also it would be good if it dry fairly quick as I am left handed.

Help please!

Jack,
I am a fellow lefty! I have tried numerous ways to overcome the "Smear Factor" (SF) which is affected by the pen, nib size, ink choice and paper.

A fine nib is a must for me. Paper choice can be as important as ink. Some papers just don't work for lefties.

But since you asked specifically for ink suggestions here goes.

Diamine - a huge color palette and I have tested many. ALL of them handle very well for lefties. This brand is my favorite and the only brand where SF has not varied based on color. I favor the bright vibrant colors. Chesterfield Inks are generally accepted to be re-branded Diamine and my comments hold for them as well.

Pilot Iroshizuku - Overall a great ink. Handles extremely well and great color palette. But the SF can vary widely based on color. This is my wifes favorite brand. But she is a righty. I have to test a sample before I know if it works for me. We purchased full bottles of Kon-Peki (deep cerulean blue) and Tsutsuji (azalea) and both work great for me.

Pelikan Edelstein - Limited experience with this brand. I gave my wife the "2014 Ink of the Year - Garnet" for Christmas. The color has orange overtones. It handles great. Better than any other ink I have tried. I do not know if the other colors will handle as well but I love this Garnet. Note this is the Pelikan Edelstein line not the plain Pelikan inks.

Good luck and have fun testing inks. I would recommend trying samples. Goulet sells aliquots of all their inks.

Phil

7 363
 12-29-2014, 10:46 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Jack, I am a right handed person but, like Phil, I love the Diamine inks (and the Pilot Iroshizuku, also). Inasmuch as Diamine is a British brand I should think you would have no trouble finding it in the U.K. If there is a bricks and mortar pen shop where you can test the inks then by all means, do so. If not, go here to at least get an idea of the color range of this wonderful ink brand, as well as others: http://www.gouletpens.com/bottled-ink/c/...egoryId=14.

2 11,211
 12-29-2014, 10:59 AM
User Info
will it be helpful holding your writing hand in the air, resting at the wrist on your other arm, so as not to touch the paper at all?

7 1,624
 12-29-2014, 11:12 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
I will pop and the way to St.James(shaving district) to Burlington Arcade, they have sweet FP shop there and test it.

Marius. Interesting I will try!

11 880
 12-29-2014, 11:17 AM
User Info
(12-29-2014, 10:59 AM)tonsorius Wrote: will it be helpful holding your writing hand in the air, resting at the wrist on your other arm, so as not to touch the paper at all?

Marius,
No. That position leaves you trying to control the pen with your fingertips only. That makes it too easy to slip or make a mistake.

The other common tip is to write from underneath the line. I find this gives me the same lack of control. I assume others find it helpful as there are books and videos devoted to it.

Phil

7 363
 12-29-2014, 11:23 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Scribes in many older cultures used hand rests made of precious materials.I tried it and it doesn't work. A
brush yes.

2 3,171
 12-29-2014, 01:49 PM
User Info
i see what you guys mean. it's essential when using a brush - with a pen maybe not so useful.

7 1,624