12-29-2014, 06:27 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
Is there a great difference? Mine is smooth and works fine, but curious if texture will help

11 681
 12-29-2014, 09:08 AM
User Info
I have a textured Yoresh scuttle, a slightly dimpled copper bowl, as well as a smooth cereal bowl from IKEA.

All of them works fine, but my experience helps makes the lather faster and more aerated.

3 4,433
 12-29-2014, 09:58 AM
User Info
Personally, I think any texture, be it grooves, dimples, raised ridges, etc., help whip up the lather somewhat faster. Nothing takes the place of experience which gets you thick, rich, smooth lather every time.

0 22
 12-29-2014, 10:04 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
User Info
It does seem there are more textured "proper" shave bowls than not. I bought a dollar, plastic salsa bowl from Walmart and I'm gonna whip out the Dremel for fun!Cool

11 681
 01-03-2015, 05:10 PM
User Info
I prefer bowls and scuttles with some texture. I too have a Yoresh and it is nice to use. Good, well defined "ridges".

Ed

22 752
 01-03-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
I just started using a Captain's Choice shaving bowl and find that the ridges in the base of the bowl really do make a difference when loading my brush. I love this new addition to my growing shaving equipment arsenal.

Check out the bowl at:

http://www.captainschoicestore.com/shop/...ather-bowl

I just started using a Captain's Choice shaving bowl and find that the ridges in the base of the bowl really do make a difference when loading my brush. I love this new addition to my growing shaving equipment arsenal.

Check out my new bowl at:

1 44
 01-04-2015, 07:40 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
User Info
(01-03-2015, 05:55 PM)The Noble Steed Wrote: I just started using a Captain's Choice shaving bowl and find that the ridges in the base of the bowl really do make a difference when loading my brush. I love this new addition to my growing shaving equipment arsenal.

Check out the bowl at:

Check out my new bowl at:

I've been eyeing that one as well! I'm also very interested in this one from Fine Accoutrements. https://www.fineaccoutrements.com/Produc...ctCode=FLB

My dremel/salsa bowl experiment worked nicely and although rather ugly, made me think I like the textures more. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

11 681
 01-04-2015, 08:59 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I face lather (Ultra Lather method)... That means waves, dips, nooks and crannies abound....lol My bowls and mugs are mere vessels to hold my soaps. Once I load my brush it goes straight to my face.... Water is added from the sink as needed....

5 1,151
 01-04-2015, 11:02 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
The best bowl lather I find comes from the Aesop. It must be the size and shape as it is smooth steel.

59 4,426
 01-04-2015, 11:13 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(01-04-2015, 11:02 AM)eengler Wrote: The best bowl lather I find comes from the Aesop. It must be the size and shape as it is smooth steel.

+1 I mostly face lather, but when I use a bowl for a cream, the Aesop shaving bowl, designed specifically for lathering, is the best one that I've used.

38 5,071
 01-04-2015, 03:44 PM
User Info
I use a bowl from a potter I found on etsy. The ridges perform much better.

[Image: bowl-2.jpg]

1 125
 01-04-2015, 03:59 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-04-2015, 11:13 AM)evnpar Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 11:02 AM)eengler Wrote: The best bowl lather I find comes from the Aesop. It must be the size and shape as it is smooth steel.

+1 I mostly face lather, but when I use a bowl for a cream, the Aesop shaving bowl, designed specifically for lathering, is the best one that I've used.

Another + 1

"The lack of ridges or smooth, untextured presentation is highly aesthetically pleasing and in no way at the expense performance. I find this vessel produces high quality lather with ease. I predicted the lack of ridges might be the bowl's downfall, but I very pleased to report that my hypothesis was disproved..."

There is further discussion about it here.

99 18,011
 01-06-2015, 01:48 PM
User Info
I think the ridges help for sure. I've recently been using a Dirty Bird scuttle with the web ridge pattern. I find that I can use about half the amount of cream than I used before and still get a great lather.

0 42
 01-08-2015, 10:00 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
All this talk about ridges on the INSIDE. I was a little sloppy this morning and generated a thin soap slick on
the counter. Pyewacket is sitting opposite to the right of the sink and suddenly arched his back hissing. My cup and three brushes ALL began sliding towards him when I closed
the drawer a bit to hard.
This APT complex settled at rather odd angles after the Northridge earthquake.
Any bowl or scuttle purchases will specify ridges both inside and out.

2 3,171
 01-10-2015, 09:18 AM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
I also find the texture helps. I don't need it, but I like it.

12 323
 01-19-2015, 04:05 AM
User Info
I make shaving bowls as a hobby. I have used them myself and have gotten excellent feedback on my dimpled texture.
A standard bowl. [Image: LyLHaE3.jpg]
A two part shaving scuttle.[Image: tG4QnGF.jpg]

0 52
 01-19-2015, 11:45 AM
User Info
I believe in no texture in a bowl. My best lathers are from infusing water and soap with the least amount of agitation. I end up using more soap because the volume you create with ridges are just bubbles. The result being a thicker and slicker lather.

4 355
 05-01-2015, 10:53 AM
User Info
I've lathered off both pretty successfully in the past. There might be a slight advantage to texture but not much. It really just depends on the type of bowl and the one doing the lathering Smile

49 356
 05-04-2015, 05:44 AM
User Info
I've not used a great many scuttles in my day but as far as ceramics goes the actual glaze surface would have more to do with "agitation" or lather build up than dimples. A high gloss glaze will produce less lather and take longer where as a matt glaze will produce more in less time.
Much like pouring a beer into a glass mug (less foam) versus pouring into a styrofoam cup (excessive foam).
Styrofoam has a very pitted rough texture causing excessive agitation in comparison to glass just like a matt glaze compared to a high gloss glaze.

Parlour Pottery

0 25
 05-04-2015, 11:11 AM
User Info
My experience with plain and textured bowls show that textured bowl produce twice as much lather in the same period of time. I am using only textured since than. 

0 83