05-29-2015, 12:42 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have a $1 fruit bowl that I got from Wally World and a bowl with ridges that my wife's friend made me in her pottery class.  They both work, but I it is a little faster to produce lather with the ridges.

3 561
 05-31-2015, 08:19 PM
User Info
I usually face lather and yesterday was the 1% of the time where I bowl lathered. I make my own pots but the thought behind which is better is dependent on two different things in my opinion. The textured interior tend to make lather faster but also airier. This is fine but I do think you can over airate your lather and get thinner lather also the volume makes it appear thicker.

The smooth interior mixing bowls aid in moving the lather around but on a very smooth surface. This keeps the lather finer, meaning the bubbles are smaller. I don't really know if you can create lather that is free of air or if that is a benefit but in my opinion, it is better to shoot for the smaller bubbles. This helps in the stability in the lather so it does not dissipate.

This was not made a "shave bowl" but you can see the interior curve is texture free. The curve is perfect for bulb shaped knots which I guess are better for face lathering any way.

[Image: nblQqWh.jpg]

79 1,338
 08-13-2015, 11:39 AM
User Info
I prefer textured bowls.

23 107
 01-12-2016, 02:57 PM
User Info
I've tried a few textured and smooth bowls. In my experience the best (for me) is a wide bowl with a moderately textured interior. My favorite so far is the Fine bowl, which is wide, has a nice loop for my thumb, and has textured lines that improve the ability to generate a lather quickly.

3 1,484
 01-12-2016, 03:14 PM
User Info
I like a textured bowl because I feel it creates a quicker lather and works a bit better at agitating the soap.  But to each their own likes.

Here is my scuttle made by a potter outside Asheville, NC.
As you can see it has the what I call spider web design raised ribs.
[Image: cbQydB8.jpg]

0 413
 01-18-2016, 07:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(01-04-2015, 11:02 AM)eengler Wrote: The best bowl lather I find comes from the Aesop. It must be the size and shape as it is smooth steel.

Agreed.

99 18,011
 01-18-2016, 07:46 PM
User Info
I face lather now. Year's ago, when I bowl lathered,  I used a textured Dirty Bird bowl.

50 6,066
 01-18-2016, 09:21 PM
  • Wrathen
  • Gulf Breeze, FL
User Info
I have a texture bowl that sits rarely used I break out sometimes with samples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16 785
 01-19-2016, 01:51 AM
  • Aleksey
  • Enabler
  • Istanbul, Turkiye
User Info
It really doesn't matter for me. I started with a perfectly smooth bowl. Had no problems.

0 1,053
 01-19-2016, 02:47 AM
User Info
I've got a couple of bowls. The Aesop bowl and the Nicole Pangas ghost skulls bowl (as reviewed). The Pangas bowl is full of texture on the sides and bottom. It is simply fantastic, and I highly recommend it for any bowl latherer.

I believe the volume and quality of the lather even surpasses that from the Aesop bowl (never thought I'd say that about any bowl), and I put it down to the ridges in the Pangas bowl.

1 81
 01-19-2016, 09:03 AM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 02:47 AM)Basilsniffer Wrote: I've got a couple of bowls. The Aesop bowl and the Nicole Pangas ghost skulls bowl (as reviewed). The Pangas bowl is full of texture on the sides and bottom. It is simply fantastic, and I highly recommend it for any bowl latherer.

I believe the volume and quality of the lather even surpasses that from the Aesop bowl (never thought I'd say that about any bowl), and I put it down to the ridges in the Pangas bowl.

I've always wanted to try one of the Aesop bowls as I have heard good things. The Nicole Pangas though looks like a winner. I had been leaning toward getting one of the FINE Lather bowls but like the look of the Pangas much better

3 920
 01-19-2016, 09:05 AM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 09:03 AM)Oasisdave Wrote:
(01-19-2016, 02:47 AM)Basilsniffer Wrote: I've got a couple of bowls. The Aesop bowl and the Nicole Pangas ghost skulls bowl (as reviewed). The Pangas bowl is full of texture on the sides and bottom. It is simply fantastic, and I highly recommend it for any bowl latherer.

I've always wanted to try one of the Aesop bowls as I have heard good things. The Nicole Pandas though looks like a winner. I had been leaning toward getting one of the FINE Lather bowls but like the look of the Pangas much better
The Fine bowls aren't beautiful (though nice), but they are very functional. I used mine today and generated a wonderful lather very quickly. The thumb ring is an especially convenient touch.

3 1,484
 01-19-2016, 09:37 AM
User Info
I see no difference in performance between a smooth bowl or a textured one. The textured ones just add air to the mix.

5 1,537
 01-19-2016, 06:23 PM
User Info
(01-19-2016, 09:03 AM)Oasisdave Wrote:

I've always wanted to try one of the Aesop bowls as I have heard good things. The Nicole Pandas though looks like a winner. I had been leaning toward getting one of the FINE Lather bowls but like the look of the Pangas much better

I don't know anything about the Fine bowl, but you can't go wrong with either the Aesop or Pangas bowl. 

I got the Pangas bowl with the thumb handle angled for a right hander (i.e. the bowl sits in the palm of your left hand).  In use, the bowl is rock solid in your palm and the thumb handle fits perfectly.

The Aesop bowl is beautiful in its simplicity, and the glaze on the Pangas bowl is really special.  Ron - I'd say you're right that the ridges produce a lather with more air, hence the pangas bowl produces more lather.  

Both?  Or even all three?

1 81
 01-19-2016, 06:38 PM
User Info
I've used and achieved great lather from both but I find I'm better with textured.

147 3,536
 01-19-2016, 06:45 PM
User Info
I prefer a textured bowl as it seems to speed things up a bit, but honestly lathering with a smooth bowl is not an issue. I like to use my textured bowls from time to time to rinse out my brushes, I think it helps in that regard.

80 947
 01-20-2016, 09:30 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I love the look of the bumps and ridges, but in my experience they make zero difference to me in actually producing lather. A .50 cent serial bowl from the thrift store works just fine, and I have a few of them as well as purpose made lather bowls. YMMV and all that.

2 1,683
 05-02-2016, 08:13 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
I think the texture does help.

7 223
 05-05-2016, 07:21 PM
  • Gary
User Info
I am looking forward to trying a Captain's Choice!

0 10
 05-05-2016, 07:33 PM
User Info
(05-05-2016, 07:21 PM)Gary Wrote: I am looking forward to trying a Captain's Choice!

I've got one, and as I said in another thread, whoever made the bowl wasn't messing around with the ridges (they are HUGE).

13 494