12-29-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
I still love how MDC lathers with ease, just like a cream.

I admit it does not have the slickness of Xpec, nor the post shave feel of MWF. Some don't even like any of the MDC scents.......they actually detest the scents - not me Biggrin

But for me it has the best overall combination of best performance, presentation and greatness in a soap that I have owned.

Le Pierre Lucienne might be almost as great, some say even better, at half the price. Still I own one LPL, and now 6 MDC's 200 gram.

I just finished doing my annually MDC purchase, bought 2 Fougere 200 gram and 2 Original 200 gram glass jars and paid €178 inlcuding shipping, which is $218, and I don't even feel like I'm being ripped or anything TongueCool

I pretty much own and have used all the top stuff - have not quite tried all the artisanes, but I feel like I have been around trying the most hyped products.

I use my spare MDC's at my work place, to get the best easy effortless shave, MDC to this day still is the easiets lathering soap I have ever used.

So what do you guys think ?
Is it still worthy of the hype ?
Or have all the new artisanes copied the formula or maybe even improved it ?

I still buy my MDC's, and predict I will still do so in one years time.......It's just difficult to use enough of my MDC to buy it annually, since I own 120+ creams/soaps Tongue

24 5,839
 12-29-2014, 10:08 AM
User Info
I don't own MdC. I tried a sample of MdC from a friend. Great soap. I must admit I am more about performance than a scent guy. I like what works great as opposed to what smells great.

MdC performed really well for me. I find Dr. Selby works as well at a fraction of the cost. It's not an artisan soap but performs really well at $16 it is a bargain.

0 53
 12-29-2014, 10:36 AM
User Info
Shaved this morning with MdC Fougère. Creamy lather, great slickness, and a terrific scent. Yes, IMO, it's worth the hype (and the $$) Sisi

39 3,867
 12-29-2014, 10:45 AM
User Info
As I've said before, having used up a sample; It's a great soap, but to me it's not worth the money they asking. YMMV, as always

3 4,370
 12-29-2014, 11:20 AM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Yes , to me it is worth every penny and the hype! I love the Fougere scent, and regularly check they web site for matching after shave lotion. I have in my rotation seven soaps and MdC is on the top place!

10 415
 12-29-2014, 12:09 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Although I've changed my mind on the high end soaps, of the ones I have it's not my favorite. That would be C&S Oxford & Cambridge.

7 2,279
 12-29-2014, 12:12 PM
User Info
I shaved with MdC this morning. The stuff is great! It actually brought back to life a razor that I had previously written off and was ready to get rid of. Totally worth the price.

57 273
 12-29-2014, 12:28 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have always been a fan of MdC. I still haven't found a soap that lathers as easily and I have tried a LOT of soaps Tongue

Is it my favorite? No. I love the scents but there are others I like more. I love the performance but there are others that are slicker and with better skin care properties (for me). Also, I seem to have a mild reaction to the original Sad

However, is it worth the hype? Yes, IMO it is. The fact is, for many soap fanatics it is the standard by which veggie shave soaps are measured. It has been around for a while and has a well-deserved following, and I am sure it has been the inspiration for many artisans to try and "beat it" -- and some have. Without MdC I wonder where veggie shave soaps would be, especially artisan veggie soaps...

It is a soap that should be experienced by all wetshavers IMO, at least once just to satisfy curiosity and be exposed to a sometimes controversial classic Biggrin

34 1,628
 12-29-2014, 12:34 PM
User Info
Looks like you have already answered your own question, Claus!
You might as well just keep buying some each year and give them out as Christmas presents! Biggrin

Personally, it is a great veggie soap, worth the money to whomever buys it and I would recommend it, but I don't really like as I sill find it a tad drying and I can't get on with the scents.

82 21,056
 12-29-2014, 12:37 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
Is it still 'hyped'? I hadn't noticed...must have dozed off there for a while. Biggrin

0 567
 12-29-2014, 12:45 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I am with you that everyone should, at least, try MdC. I did not care for the scent, even with the unscented there is too much rosemary for me, but there is no denying that it is a wonderful soap.

I found what I believe to be the best approximation of MdC here in America - Rustic Shaving Soap by Wet Shaving Products. I especially like their Lavender scented soap. It performs very much like the MdC, in my opinion and is a FRACTION of the cost at around 1/5th the cost.

Try it for yourselves and see if it works for you...it is now my go to soap and I just acquired Marrakesh, Black Amber Vanille, and Mahogany, plus already owned Vetiver, Tobacco, and Lavender...all fine scents!

Cheers!

71 1,468
 12-29-2014, 01:53 PM
User Info
I think there are a couple of artisan soaps which surpass MdC in terms of both scent and performance at a lower price.

61 1,710
 12-29-2014, 02:12 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
For me personally the answer is yes. I have the luxury of being able to use any soap I want and MdC is still my top choice. I also love their hand soaps and fragrances.

159 1,315
 12-29-2014, 03:19 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I finally outdid Claus on something.

I just ordered two lavender and two fougere shave soaps, eight bath soaps, and three of the Huile Vegetale Camomille.

My shaving bank account is spent.

175 23,752
 12-29-2014, 04:15 PM
User Info
(12-29-2014, 03:19 PM)Johnny Wrote: I finally outdid Claus on something.

I just ordered two lavender and two fougere shave soaps, eight bath soaps, and three of the Huile Vegetale Camomille.

Until the new year, correct? Wink

39 3,867
 12-29-2014, 04:59 PM
User Info

Oh no Johnny, that's additional to one you bought from me :-) wow

I like MDC a lot , Steelman hooked me up with few :-)

61 3,072
 12-29-2014, 05:09 PM
User Info
Beautiful performance , just a tad drying as mentioned earlier.

59 1,405
 12-29-2014, 06:31 PM
  • sch1989
  • Mesa arizona
User Info
I have a jar of the scented and love it. Def worth every penny

23 598
 12-29-2014, 06:32 PM
User Info
MdC is still on the top of my list of favourite soaps. So, yes, it's still worthy of the hype.

And Claus, from another thread, I thought you didn't like artisan soaps?!?!

MdC looks quite artisan to me! Biggrin

2 5,545
 12-29-2014, 06:42 PM
User Info

johnny - 3 of this - i take it you have used it before! can you say anything about it in one sentence Smile

7 1,624