12-30-2014, 02:04 AM
User Info
Taken from The Gentlemen's Book of Etiquette and Manual of Politeness, from the best French, English, and American Authorities - printed in 1860!
Quote:...every sensible man will shave himself, if only as an exercise of character, for a man should learn to live, in every detail without assistance. Moreover, in most cases, we shave ourselves better than barbers can do.
While it may take a little less character to shave in this day and age than it did back in antebellum America, the idea that men (and women) should strive to be self sufficient to the best of their abilities holds true - at the very least when it comes to shaving!

3 4,662
 12-30-2014, 02:52 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Echoes of my father, born in 1913. He wouldn't countenance going to a barber for a shave no matter what and insisted on shaving every day regardless. Also, he wouldn't have the servants polishing his or my shoes or ironing our shirts. I think it came from his many years in the army and being a soldier at heart all his life.

7 934
 12-30-2014, 05:28 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
My father always told me same.

Quote: You are Man therefore you should be able to do it yourself and always assist women in anything she require you to.That is mark of true man

11 880
 12-30-2014, 06:31 AM
User Info
For a long time, I didn't shave on weekends. Formerly, this was to give my face a break. Since I started DE shaving, I'm able to shave every day, and I find I feel a lot more "grown up" because of it.

0 1,097
 12-30-2014, 07:42 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Iron a shirt, tie a tie, change a tire. The list of activities for a man can be rather lengthy.

Nonetheless, self-sufficiency and "can do" attitude are worthy attributes to cultivate

60 1,625
 12-30-2014, 03:14 PM
User Info
Quote: Moreover, in most cases, we shave ourselves better than barbers can do.

Thumbup

83 21,107
 12-30-2014, 03:52 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I wholeheartedly agree with everything stated above. That is the way I was raised.

179 23,923
 12-30-2014, 04:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
My Mom taught me to do my laundry when I was 11 years old, and to iron my clothes when I was 13. The ONLY wearable item I'm incapable of tending to myself is dry cleaning and pressing a suit. However, being that I wear a suit maybe once every few years, it's not a big deal. To be honest, at the moment I don't even own a suit.

I learned from my Dad to honor and respect women.

I learned from my wife that if I make a decision, it's likely going to be the wrong one. For that matter when I go with my gut instinct, that's often wrong too.

Huh

7 2,354
 12-30-2014, 06:57 PM
User Info
the gentlemen's book says:

«I will add a good prescription for the cure of chilblains, which are both a disfigurement, and one of the petites misères of human life.

“‘Roll the fingers in linen bandages, sew them up well, and dip them twice or thrice a day in a mixture, consisting of half a fluid ounce of tincture of capsicum, and a fluid ounce of tincture of opium.»

a rather costly mixture i say!

about raising:
i was brought up taught to be friendly to men and women alike, of all ages, of all nations, of all backgrounds, poor and rich.

7 1,624
 12-30-2014, 07:47 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
The U.S. Navy taught me to be self-sufficient, especially during my two tours of Vietnam as a corpsman, and later as a medical officer. Everyone shaved daily, had a clean cut haircut, a pressed uniform, and shined shoes, which I do to this day (my hair is longer and grayer). I wouldn't think of not shaving daily and wearing clean, pressed clothes, if anything, to be presentable to my sweetheart of 47 years. We homeschooled our son for high school, and my wife wouldn't give him his diploma until he took care of everything for the household for two weeks: shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. She wanted to make sure that when he went off to college he was prepared to take care of himself.

38 5,193
 12-30-2014, 08:26 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
I grew up in the 50's. It was always, "Tuck your shirt in...tie your shoe...comb your hair...stand up straight...don't chew with your mouth open...," all in a positive way. A whole set of values I'm very grateful for. One of the best commentaries on the times is, what we used to call manufacturing defects in clothing is now a fashion statement.

12 166
 12-31-2014, 04:46 AM
User Info
This conversation reminds me of an old conversation about the character of the wet shaver and what brings men and women to become a part of the online traditional shaving community. Certainly this community is partly a function of the internet which allows people who share common interests to come together, but what is it that brings them together in the first place?

For me the wet shaving movement is about a group of people who by nature, training, or simple happenstance are always looking for a better way of doing things, to build a better mousetrap.

If the commercial world offers crappy disposable razors and outrageously price shaving systems such as the Gillette Pro Glide or the latest canned goo, the wet shaver is the person who researches alternatives and is not above looking to the past to find better ways of doing things.

3 460
 12-31-2014, 04:59 AM
User Info
nice said robert Smile

7 1,624
 12-31-2014, 09:15 AM
User Info
(12-30-2014, 07:47 PM)evnpar Wrote: The U.S. Navy taught me to be self-sufficient, especially during my two tours of Vietnam as a corpsman, and later as a medical officer. Everyone shaved daily, had a clean cut haircut, a pressed uniform, and shined shoes, which I do to this day (my hair is longer and grayer). I wouldn't think of not shaving daily and wearing clean, pressed clothes, if anything, to be presentable to my sweetheart of 47 years. We homeschooled our son for high school, and my wife wouldn't give him his diploma until he took care of everything for the household for two weeks: shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. She wanted to make sure that when he went off to college he was prepared to take care of himself.
Now, that is what I'm talking about. Discipline for our children, the correct way!

I too agree with all that's said here. A man takes care of things himself. Only commission others to help them and to teach.

1 1,975