12-30-2014, 05:24 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I'm curious if other wet shavers take a day off here and there. Do you find your face benefits from not shaving once in a while? When I used carts and disposables I'd look for any reason to not shave - it was that unenjoyable a chore for me. Now that I'm a DE shaver I don't want to take any days off because it's a whole lot of fun and it's quite relaxing... Yet, once in a while I feel that my skin would appreciate a break. Clearly this is another YMMV scenario, but still, what do you folks (veterans and newbs, please) do in this regard?

4 1,939
 12-30-2014, 05:46 PM
User Info
I occasionally skip a day on the weekend but that's getting less and less. If I try a new soap or razor its on a weekend so that if it was a bad experience I have a recovery day. I even shaved daily the other week when I had the flu. Mentally it just helped me feel better.

I have an old friend who is a very successful businessman. He graciously took me under his wing when I was younger and one of the tips he left me is that "The only people who don't shave daily are bums. If you want to be a success then you need to start looking the part!" Stuck with me and have pretty much shaved daily ever since.

147 3,463
 12-30-2014, 05:56 PM
User Info
guess i'm a bum, and i love it - shaving only monday's, wednesday's and friday's Cool

7 1,624
 12-30-2014, 06:02 PM
User Info
I typically skip Monday, for no other reason than I'm tired from the weekend.

31 1,800
 12-30-2014, 06:11 PM
User Info
(12-30-2014, 05:56 PM)tonsorius Wrote: guess i'm a bum, and i love it - shaving only monday's, wednesday's and friday's Cool

I'm not saying I shave every single day but that's just one of the things he told me. No disrespect intended to anyone.
This is coming from a man that made over $4 Million selling Electrolux door to door then opened his own buisness, retired, and would call me over to sit on his dock, drink some CC & 7 with him, and wait for a fish to bite. He is always clean shaven. Head and all lol. Very humble and polite man but always to the point. Got a lot of respect for him and took his teachings to heart.

147 3,463
 12-30-2014, 06:31 PM
User Info
Shaving Break?

Quite the contrary.

I wish I could shave more than once daily.

My facial skin does nothing to tire it. It just hangs around all day long waiting for the next pass.

Mickey

0 53
 12-30-2014, 06:32 PM
User Info
could not be offended, only amused Smile

btw - my teacher sells his paintings for minimum $100.000, will never retire, wears a black cloak, and is never clean shaven Biggrin

7 1,624
 12-30-2014, 06:52 PM
  • tave
  • Mr whiskers
  • baltimore
User Info
Before I went over to DE and SE shaving I was shaving with carts every other day because the irritation was so bad. Since I've changed over and improved my technique with taking my time during the whole process, I can honestly say that the irritation is completely gone and I can shave every day performing multiple passes.
My face feels good and my family and friends tell me I even look younger. I must be doing something right.Biggrin

0 76
 12-30-2014, 07:57 PM
  • Jovan
  • Banned
  • Traveling USA
User Info
In the past 40+ years cannot ever remember taking a day off...

2 479
 12-30-2014, 11:28 PM
User Info
Haven't missed a day in over 3 years, now! However, I can see it being fine to miss a day or two if you need. No harm in that. Smile

82 21,056
 12-30-2014, 11:33 PM
User Info
(12-30-2014, 05:56 PM)tonsorius Wrote: guess i'm a bum, and i love it - shaving only monday's, wednesday's and friday's Cool

+1 - the habit of twenty years before I started with traditional razors is hard to break.

3 4,374
 12-31-2014, 01:14 AM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I have very sensitive skin and I came to the conclusion years ago that it didn't tolerate a daily scraping. Even with the shaving paradigm of these fora, every time I shave I get skin irritation. So, I shave three nights a week: Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and I can vary it, if needed. My best shave by far is on Sunday night, after I have skipped two nights.

I am a retired social worker. In my job, I dressed and groomed to be neat, but above all to be "accessible." If I had dressed like a lawyer or a businessman, the people I visited wouldn't have let me in the door. Cool

- Murray

4 1,150
 12-31-2014, 01:52 AM
User Info
(12-30-2014, 05:24 PM)chazt Wrote: I'm curious if other wet shavers take a day off here and there. Do you find your face benefits from not shaving once in a while? When I used carts and disposables I'd look for any reason to not shave - it was that unenjoyable a chore for me. Now that I'm a DE shaver I don't want to take any days off because it's a whole lot of fun and it's quite relaxing... Yet, once in a while I feel that my skin would appreciate a break. Clearly this is another YMMV scenario, but still, what do you folks (veterans and newbs, please) do in this regard?

I've taken a few days off here and there for various reasons from my schedule to wanting to simply give my face a little break. I also went a week for the tradition of deer hunting this past November too.

Do what you like and what your face tells you to do.

Frank

2 229
 12-31-2014, 04:41 AM
User Info
(12-31-2014, 01:52 AM)Lakebound Wrote: I've taken a few days off here and there for various reasons from my schedule to wanting to simply give my face a little break. I also went a week for the tradition of deer hunting this past November too.

Do what you like and what your face tells you to do.

Frank

that, my friend, was very well said, and could easily be my permanent shaving motto Cheers

7 1,624
 12-31-2014, 09:12 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
[Image: SHqibY2.png]
NEVER!
The one resolution I kept this past year was shaving daily.
Black cloak indeed: I tell my fellow revolutionaries the scariest people are better groomed than the opposing institution. "Never let them see you coming."

2 3,171
 12-31-2014, 09:38 AM
User Info
Since i only head shave, i take a couple of days off every week.

1 1,975
 12-31-2014, 10:46 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Simple answer, no. I've only missed one day in over 50+ years of shaving due to a hospital visit.

175 23,752
 12-31-2014, 10:53 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
You were shaving when you were six?......Biggrin

6 1,994
 12-31-2014, 01:58 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
Daily wet shaver for 30-odd years here, and my skin's never been bothered by it. On the contrary, I think the lather and witch-hazel actually help to keep it feeling good. I have grown in full beards from time to time, and then of course the razor was only keeping the neck and cheek lines trim; but I can't say there was much difference in how my skin felt - effectively a no days vs every day comparison I suppose.

Never used carts so I can't make comparisons there.

0 567
 12-31-2014, 02:03 PM
User Info
I must be one of the youngest gentlemen here on the Nook.

1 1,975