01-01-2015, 04:33 PM
User Info
Good Evening!

This is Phil's daughter, Amy (the infamous Diamine Oxblood loverBiggrin). I recently received the Waterford Lismore fountain pen with a medium point nib, and would like to start writing in a journal/diary. I would love to write with my new pen, but the journals I already own don't take the ink well. I am looking for a journal with quality paper - preferably ruled and leather-bound. So far, I like the Franklin Christoph. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for me?

Thanks very much!
(And my Dad currently has a Cheshire-Cat grin on his face, as he has informed me I am officially a fountain pen geek for posting here!)

7 363
 01-01-2015, 04:47 PM
User Info
Hello Amy I've had the same thing happen on some of the docs I sign at work. Wish I could help but I'll be watching here to see what works.

0 853
 01-01-2015, 05:01 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hi Amy, it's a pleasure to meet you here and welcome to fountain pen geekdom. (Now where did that original Diamine Oxblood ink sample come from? Angel )

I have notebooks but don't really keep a journal, as such. However, you might want to start here: http://journalingarts.com/fountain-pen-f...KXsSShLdWJ. Some of these look promising, as a place to start.

Whatever you decide, I hope you'll consider writing about your thoughts here, no matter what you ultimately choose. Wishing Mom, Dad, and you the happiest and healthiest of the New Year.

2 11,211
 01-01-2015, 09:56 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Moleskine make beautiful journals (according to my wife - who uses their notebooks with a fountain pen), might be worth a look...

http://www.moleskine.com/au/collections/model/journals

On a tangent, we have a large collection of fine Waterford Crystal glasses in the Lismore pattern.

99 18,011
 01-01-2015, 10:31 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I find moleskine to be erratic. Within the same journal, several pages feather when a Medium or wider nib is used.

I'd look at Clairefontaine products first. Their Rhodia series is quite good. Their Quo Vadis line is higher grade and is a pleasant treat from time to time.

Personally, I like Midori from Japan. Their Travelers Notebook is my constant companion, and I also use their MD notebooks.

What size nib do you use most often?

2 286
 01-02-2015, 10:31 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Amy I use Moleskine and I am left handed if I dont pay attention it smudges.

For leftie is 4 out 6 score

11 880
 01-02-2015, 10:38 AM
User Info
 01-03-2015, 06:17 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Welcome! My journal is by Scully. Bought it at Paradise Pen in Oak Brook, IL. Their web address is http://www.paradisepen.com and they've been helpful guiding me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19 722
 01-04-2015, 10:15 AM
User Info
Thanks Freddy! I now have my own username, so I guess I truly am a member of Fountain Pen Geekdom! And thanks also for the original Oxblood sample. I used it once, and haven't looked back since! (Although I might have to try out the Diamine Silver Fox that my Dad got for Christmas...)

Thanks for the recommendation, and I will definitely continue to post my findings on here!

0 3
 01-04-2015, 11:49 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(01-04-2015, 10:15 AM)ASax23 Wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation, and I will definitely continue to post my findings on here!

I'm also looking for a fountain pen journal. Please let us know what worked for you. I've used black or blue-black ink in my fountain pens since 1956, but I just might have to give Diamine Oxblood a try!

38 5,029
 01-04-2015, 11:50 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Glad to have you, Amy. Smile

As you can see, other members have piped up with ideas and what to watch out for. That's what makes this miniscule corner of fountain pen geekdom so worthwhile and so much fun.

2 11,211
 01-04-2015, 11:52 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(01-04-2015, 11:49 AM)evnpar Wrote:

I'm also looking for a fountain pen journal. Please let us know what worked for you. I've used black or blue-black ink in my fountain pens since 1956, but I just might have to give Diamine Oxblood a try!

Richard, it's a great color. It probably won't work in a business setting but for yourself or writing a friendly letter, go for it. Biggrin

2 11,211
 01-04-2015, 01:14 PM
User Info
(01-04-2015, 11:52 AM)freddy Wrote:
(01-04-2015, 11:49 AM)evnpar Wrote:

Richard, it's a great color. It probably won't work in a business setting but for yourself or writing a friendly letter, go for it. Biggrin

Yes, Richard, it is a lovely color. So much so that I have to change my font color on here to something similiar!!!Biggrin

Hi Ben74! My grandmother had the Waterford Lismore crystal as well. So not only is the pen stunning, and writes beautifully, but every time I see/write with it, it makes me smile and think of her. Definitely a thoughtful gift!

And thanks to everyone else with their recommendations! I still have yet to find one that I really love. I was looking for a hard-leather bound journal. Kinda old-school. I'll keep everyone informed of my search and results though!

Here is a better picture of said pen!

[Image: rbeEChL.jpg]

0 3
 01-04-2015, 02:11 PM
User Info
Hello there and Welcome!
I'm sure the perfect journal is out there. I'm a still off on the quest for my perfect purple ink. I use an A4 size binder and loose leaf Clairefontaine paper for my journaling. That may be too large for most people, but I like lots of room to write and draw whatever project ideas I might have.

1 346
 01-04-2015, 03:29 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
That pen is beautiful, Amy. Use it in the best of health.

2 11,211
 01-04-2015, 04:45 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I carry a pocket size Clairfontaine and it takes fountain pen ink very well. Especially if it is a quick drying ink, like they one Freddy sent me "American Eel Black". That ink, my fine point Kaweco Sport, and the Clairfontaine allowed me to carry my fountain pen everyday and use it for all my note taking through out the day; which in many cases is just a word or two and the notebook is right back in my pocket, no smearing or anything at all.

You could get the larger format and get a leather cover for it. I am also very attracted to the Midori Traveler System (Passport), but have not yet gotten to try out that pocket book.

The only leather bound books I have tried are the Moleskine books. I use one as a journal for writing in the evening. I wouldn't say they take ink as well as the Clairfontaine does, but they take it well enough. I write in my Moleskine with a .6 tip so it puts out quite a bit of ink and I don't have issues with smearing by the time I turn the page or anything. I'd try one of them too. I like the 5x7 size as my favorite. The soft leather bounds do not hold up in my pockets, but hold up great in my bag (the hardcover is what I use in the evening).

18 1,186
 01-05-2015, 04:10 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I like the A5 casebound (hardcover, not leather) Black n' Red journals. 96 pages of 24 lb paper. Available at office depot and staples for <$10.

4 194
 01-05-2015, 10:12 PM
User Info
Wow, Amy! That is a magnificent pen! Thumbup

82 21,056
 01-06-2015, 02:11 PM
User Info
(01-05-2015, 04:10 PM)dajmacd Wrote: I like the A5 casebound (hardcover, not leather) Black n' Red journals. 96 pages of 24 lb paper. Available at office depot and staples for <$10.

I have used those before in college. I didn't realize they would handle the amount of ink a fountain pen releases without feathering! Thanks very much!

(01-05-2015, 10:12 PM)celestino Wrote: Wow, Amy! That is a magnificent pen! Thumbup

Thanks very much!!! I absolutely love it! As my Dad says, now I can officially keep up with the big boys!!!Aaaaa

0 3