01-01-2015, 05:40 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I'm expecting to be mocked with derision, but here goes.

I love the scent of Proraso Red. As I explained in another thread over in the brushes forum, I often sniff my brushes during the day, just to catch a whiff. The smell brings me back to my youth, getting haircuts in the neighborhood barber shop. The barber would shave the back of my neck, sprinkle some powder (probably with Clubman I'm guessing), ahhhhh...

Can anybody recommend any other shave creams or soaps that may be similarly scented as Proraso red? They claim it is sandalwood - I don't get sandalwood - I get "barbershop."

A TSN search for "barber shop smell" yielded a thread in the aftershave forum in which people suggested Floid products. I will try some of them, but would still like to experiment with other creams/soaps.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks Smile

4 1,922
 01-01-2015, 05:55 PM
User Info
Just me, but, the Soap Commander Endurance has a very nice scent, not sandalwood, but more Old Spice, not, barbershop to me. Just my 2 "scents" LOL.
Don't know about Proraso, never used it.

2 226
 01-01-2015, 07:06 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Crown Shaving Aftershave Tonic (it's a splash) is the best barbershop scent I've worn. It contains notes of leather, tobacco, bay rum, anise and barber's talc.

159 1,316
 01-01-2015, 08:56 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
If you are really looking for an "old time scent," and I should know as I've been wet shaving for 53 years, I'd recommend Barrister & Mann Latha. Will developed this soap with his father, who wanted a classic scent from the 50's, and they really nailed it. It immediately flooded me with memories of the soaps I grew up with, and used for so many years. It's also one of the best performing soaps that I've recently tried, and at $10 for a 4 oz. jar, you can't go wrong. I'd also recommend Latha aftershave splash, only $6.50. This is truly an outstanding product and probably the best bang for the buck anywhere.

38 5,031
 01-01-2015, 09:06 PM
User Info
razorock third eye
drjon's hex

2 58
 01-01-2015, 10:35 PM
User Info
If you are looking for a Barbershop scent, then a few of the artisanal soaps have this scent in their line.

82 21,056
 01-02-2015, 01:23 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
TOBS "Mr Taylor"

0 1,733
 01-02-2015, 03:09 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
For me it is Tabac soap and Aqua Velva Ice Blue that hint of old time barber shop scents.

Bob

0 1,694
 01-02-2015, 06:32 AM
User Info
Latha by Barrister & Mann.

31 8,055
 01-02-2015, 08:32 AM
User Info
(01-02-2015, 01:23 AM)Shaun Wrote: TOBS "Mr Taylor"

Shaving Shop too.

12 1,247
 01-02-2015, 10:16 AM
User Info
Stirling makes a sandalwood soap, bath soap & aftershave. They use Hawaiian sandalwood which is "sweeter". Its in the neighborhood of proraso but more pronounced.

6 589
 01-02-2015, 10:27 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thanks for all the replies, gents!

I'm definitely going to be trying some of your suggestions.

4 1,922
 01-02-2015, 11:07 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(01-01-2015, 08:56 PM)evnpar Wrote: If you are really looking for an "old time scent," and I should know as I've been wet shaving for 53 years, I'd recommend Barrister & Mann Latha. Will developed with soap with his father, who wanted a classic scent from the 50's, and they really nailed it. It immediately flooded me with memories of the soaps I grew up with, and used for so many years. It's also one of the best performing soaps that I've recently tried, and at $10 for a 4 oz. jar, you can't go wrong. I'd also recommend Latha aftershave splash, only $6.50. This is truly an outstanding product and probably the best bang for the buck anywhere.

Richard nailed it! Latha is what comes to my mind as well, in terms of old school barbershop type scents, and I find myself reaching for it quite often as its performance is fantastic. The more I use it, the more I love it...definitely the one I would recommend Biggrin

34 1,628
 01-02-2015, 11:18 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(01-02-2015, 11:07 AM)Giorgio Wrote: Richard nailed it! Latha is what comes to my mind as well, in terms of old school barbershop type scents, and I find myself reaching for it quite often as its performance is fantastic. The more I use it, the more I love it...definitely the one I would recommend

Encouraging news. I didn't know which B&M scents to try so I got Latha plus one other flavor.

I'm also pretty sure that American barbershops smell a bit more pleasant than the ones I frequented as a kid here in my city. I seem to remember cigarette smoke and 3-in-1 oil being the dominant scents. (They used the oil for their electric clippers.)

2 286
 01-02-2015, 11:22 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(01-02-2015, 11:18 AM)Karlo Wrote: Encouraging news. I didn't know which B&M scents to try so I got Latha plus one other flavor.

I'm also pretty sure that American barbershops smell a bit more pleasant than the ones I frequented as a kid here in my city. I seem to remember cigarette smoke and 3-in-1 oil being the dominant scents. (They used the oil for their electric clippers.)

Laughing1 ...I can assure you I get no whiffs of cigarette smoke or 3-in-1 oil in Latha Tongue

34 1,628
 01-10-2015, 05:41 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-02-2015, 11:07 AM)Giorgio Wrote:
(01-01-2015, 08:56 PM)evnpar Wrote: If you are really looking for an "old time scent," and I should know as I've been wet shaving for 53 years, I'd recommend Barrister & Mann Latha. Will developed with soap with his father, who wanted a classic scent from the 50's, and they really nailed it. It immediately flooded me with memories of the soaps I grew up with, and used for so many years. It's also one of the best performing soaps that I've recently tried, and at $10 for a 4 oz. jar, you can't go wrong. I'd also recommend Latha aftershave splash, only $6.50. This is truly an outstanding product and probably the best bang for the buck anywhere.

Richard nailed it! Latha is what comes to my mind as well, in terms of old school barbershop type scents, and I find myself reaching for it quite often as its performance is fantastic. The more I use it, the more I love it...definitely the one I would recommend Biggrin

Latha arrived on my doorstep last Tuesday which happened to be my birthday - 56 - woohoo. My kids bought me a few shave related gifts, one of which was a new brush. As I'd been waiting for this brush for quite some time, that got used before the Latha, as I know not to try more than one new product at a time. So... I Latha shaved this morning, with a five shave old Crystal blade in my Merkur head with iKon bulldog handle, and it was THE closest and most comfortable shave I've had since I started this DE journey. Maybe it's the tallow?? Call me crazy, but I may try to get a seventh shave out of that blade! Anyway, the Latha scent was pleasurable, I got loads of thick creamy lather, and other than the shavus interruptus by SWMBO, it was a great, great shave. I'm anxiously looking forward to tomorrow's shave Biggrin

Thanks for the tip Richard!!!!

4 1,922
 01-12-2015, 08:17 PM
User Info
So, I'm dying to know, does the Latha smell like your nose's version of "old barbershop smell" or does it smell like something completely different than you were looking for?

8 169
 01-13-2015, 08:33 AM
User Info
(01-12-2015, 08:17 PM)Olschoolsteel Wrote: So, I'm dying to know, does the Latha smell like your nose's version of "old barbershop smell" or does it smell like something completely different than you were looking for?

I must admit that I'm curious as to the answer to this as well. Smile

5 407
 01-13-2015, 11:28 AM
User Info
For that old barbershop smell it has to be Bay Rum for me.

I love Proraso Red too.

0 30
 01-13-2015, 11:29 AM
User Info
Much better for me old time scent is Mikes barbershop or Cold River barbershop.

0 155