01-01-2015, 06:22 PM
User Info
I have a Parker 92R ultra Heavyweight which I bought after reading many reviews all over the place.
However, I have tried Derbys, Feathers, Sharks and Wilkinsons. I have tried no pressure, some pressure. I have tried different angles of attack.
I have my lather down, scrub my face before, and give my face a nice hot soaking prior to shaving.
It always sounds and feels like I'm scraping my beard off, and after my first pass it feels little different than when I started. Disclaimer: When I shave with my Harrys….3 passes I'm done.
I'm wondering whether I would be better off with an SE razor which from what I read is a more solid locked in blade, than a DE which might flex and move?
I want to enjoy the traditional way of shaving.

Funny sidebar…..I used a cutthroat until I joined the US Navy and in boot camp they deemed it to dangerous to have. Got packed up with my civvies and sent home to Mom. Never thought what happened to it. Of course, I wasn't on blood thinners then.
Thanks for any advice from you pros out there.

2 226
 01-01-2015, 08:36 PM
User Info
An SE blade is stiffer than a DE blade, so if you think blade flex is part of your problem that might help. Or, just to give you yet another thing to consider, you might try a slant which is also stiffer than a regular DE razor.

3 4,374
 01-03-2015, 11:31 AM
User Info
(01-01-2015, 08:36 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: An SE blade is stiffer than a DE blade, so if you think blade flex is part of your problem that might help. Or, just to give you yet another thing to consider, you might try a slant which is also stiffer than a regular DE razor.

Thank you, sorry for the late response, away for a few days. I'll have to think about that.

2 226
 01-03-2015, 01:04 PM
User Info
I don't think a slant (presumably a "twist slant") is near the same stiffness of an SE, though the added tension may make it stiffer than a non-twisted DE blade.

Don't know if the stiffness of the blade is the problem either; I haven't heard of anyone just not being able to get a good shave with a DE -- I'm unfamiliar with your particular Parker razor, but if a Feather blade "tugs" after decent prep, my guess is that your angle is way off (?)

All that said, there are many things in this world with which I'm not familiar, and perhaps a DE is just not for you. I have fallen in love with SE razors over the past months, myself... and you can get great ones for cheap, so it's worth an experiment!

7 315
 01-03-2015, 03:06 PM
User Info
If you get a SE, look for a G-Bar or a Featherweight. They are probably the 2 most commonly found and quite inexpensive. They are among the mildest and will still give a great shave.

32 6,445
 01-03-2015, 06:12 PM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 03:06 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: If you get a SE, look for a G-Bar or a Featherweight. They are probably the 2 most commonly found and quite inexpensive. They are among the mildest and will still give a great shave.
Brian, what is a G bar or Featherweight?

Thanks guys. I was reading a Thread about the Merkur 37C and 39C? I know that all reviews are subjective, but what would be the principal differences between the two? And , Do you need an open comb? Thanks, Charlie.

2 226
 01-03-2015, 09:02 PM
User Info
I've read some very nice reviews about the Merkur 37C. Seems very tempting.
Any advice from any of you who have used this?

2 226
 01-03-2015, 09:18 PM
User Info
Re 37c vs. 39c

Head is the same. 39c is much heavier and has a longer handle. I have shaved with the 37c and get good results from it. The 39c also has its proponents, especially those who like longer handles and super-heavy razors. I have not used 39c.

(01-03-2015, 09:02 PM)Charlie NEPA Wrote: I've read some very nice reviews about the Merkur 37C. Seems very tempting.
Any advice from any of you who have used this?

16 351
 01-04-2015, 07:43 PM
User Info
You could always just try a milder DE if you find the Parker too aggressive from what it sounds like.
Good luck.

82 21,056