06-01-2012, 06:44 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I have D. R. Harris Arlington cologne. It has a choked neck with a small hole. With aftershave, I would just shake some in my hand and rub it on. With cologne, I'm not sure. I know enough to know it's not just for the face.

10 1,858
 06-01-2012, 07:17 PM
  • Sully
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Just shake out less cologne then you would aftershave. You can apply it to your face, neck, and wrists.

7 1,018
 06-01-2012, 08:20 PM
User Info
Amount you will have to figure out. I do it like my Dad did. Splash a little in the hand, rub together lightly, massage into sides of neck and upper chest then run fingers through hair a couple times.

2 697
 06-02-2012, 09:09 AM
User Info
Both my TOBS aftershave and edt come with the plastic restricors in the tops. Options are to leave them as is, or remove them for greater flow. This last time I opted to leave them in. Get the edt out just like the aftershave. May have to shake a bit longer to get the amount you want.

3 543
 06-04-2012, 12:11 PM
User Info
Eric;
You ask a great question, one I get asked frequently at work. My advice is to make sure that you walk into a room before your aftershave/cologne does, and that the scent leaves when you leave the room. In other words, do not bathe in the stuff. Less is more in this case.

If people can smell the scent you're wearing, and they are closer than 3 feet to you... you're wearing too much cologne. Aftershave splashes are generally a finish to your shave regimine. Cologne, on the other hand, is a special addition to your style. Wear cologne when you are going on a special date, or are on a special occassion. A cologne should be subtle, as for when a woman nuzzles in close... that's when your cologne scent should be noticed.

Splashing on Cologne: Pour out about 2 to 3 drops into the palm of your hand. Rub both palms together to evenely distribute the product. Separate both hands, and allow the cologne to 'cook off' for about 3 to 5 seconds. Now rub both palms against the back, sides, and front of your neck. Next, rub the remaining onto both wrists.

Spraying on Cologne: Here's were a lot of men go wrong (thanks to commercials like Axe, etc...) Spray only ONE spritz of your cologne on the BACK of your neck, so that some will land on the skin, and some on the back of the shirt collar. Why the back of the neck? Because the back of a man's neck will heat up with body tempurature, allowing the oils of the cologne to marinate, giving off its very subtle scent.

Tailoring with Cologne Spray: Another way to spray on a cologne when wearing a suit and tie, is to spray one spritz onto a silk or cotton pocket square, then place the pocket square into the outer breast pocket of the suit jacket.

Again, remember... less is more. Many of the women I talk with say that men they work with wear way too much cologne. For a woman, wearing a perfume is much different than how a man should wear his cologne. They have made comments that their office space reaks of the stuff, etc...

If you use a aftershave/cologne splash, be a gentleman, and wash your hands after appying it. Women have complained that the scent of the colonge is transferred to their hands after a hand shake, and lingers far too long.

Hope this gives you some insight to the art of wearing a cologne.

0 28
 06-05-2012, 04:57 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Thanks, Troy, that's very insightful.

10 1,858
 06-06-2012, 06:15 AM
User Info
Thanks for the pointers Troy.

Clayton

6 617
 06-08-2012, 06:29 PM
  • jfmii
  • Pittsburgh PA
User Info
Thanks for the tips Troy. My father always sprayed his pocket squares as well. It was just right.

19 414