01-02-2015, 10:08 AM
User Info
There are many foods and recipes I would like to try but haven't either through ignorance or laziness. I'm embarrassed to say that I have never smoked a brisket...so that's on my list. Cooking Lamb chops is another. What about other things like healthy types of foods you've never tried or even considered? This sub forum has really enabled and encouraged me to branch out beyond what is the norm.

P.S. First and foremost I thank God that I had food to eat for breakfast today.

0 1,007
 01-02-2015, 10:28 AM
User Info
I plan on doing my own chili, lamb chops as well, and trying out new veggie dishes. I need to lose a few pounds and have been very conscious, as of late, about my health.

Sent from my Samsung Tablet

1 1,975
 01-02-2015, 11:37 AM
  • Chris24
  • New Zealand
User Info
No real goals set, I will keep a open mind on the subject and try a few new things for me.
Maybe a pulled pork for the BBQ, yeah that just made the list.
I have a new shallow enamel cast iron Casserole in the post. There will be some new things for me cooked in that.

0 276
 01-02-2015, 11:55 AM
User Info
Nothing special as far as particular foods go, just need to eat smarter to loose a few pounds to improve my health before the doctor puts me on another pill, I think 12 pills a day is plenty.

0 22
 01-02-2015, 12:16 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
If I had a food goal, it would be to eat some of the amazing things you guys cook. Biggrin

2 11,211
 01-02-2015, 11:15 PM
User Info
Food goals... to eat enough for satiation, but not enough so that I don't lose a few pounds... by choice. Yeah, good luck with that, I know.

I have briskets to bbq, and 15 or so pounds of cheese to cold smoke in the short term goals.

I was going to make some pastrami, but I can buy deli pastrami in the whole vac pac for $2/lb, so that's on hold. (corned beef [frequently] and roast beef[at times] as well) Right now I have a 7# pastrami thawed and ready for slicing in the shop refrigerator. My slicer is small. I'd like to have a large slicer now.

On a bright note, my supermarket has gotten in a new supplier of pickled herring, and I'm an addict, but the new stuff is horrible. So I ordered 8# from Amazon out of Wisconsin. It's really nice stuff, so I'm in pickled herring heaven at the moment since it arrived today.

Edit: FWIW the pickled herring is Bay View brand and I assume the herring is from Lake Superior. The date on it said use before 6/15. That shouldn't be a problem. I'll probably have a 2nd batch come in before then.

I'd love to buy the locally sourced pickled herring, but I won't sacrifice quality for local sourcing... now if I can buy a mess of fresh caught local herring I'll make my own. (I'm salivating thinking about it) It's not difficult.

32 6,445
 01-03-2015, 11:00 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I have been moving to healthier, local( when possible) foods too. The irony is what we call organic, cruelty free is what I ate as a child. Our eggs were miserable for baking and I doubt very nutritious. I started buying cage free, natural feed & fertile and the difference is incredible. I'm walking to our local 'Farmer's Market' to reduce shipping and packaging. MY carbon footprint is check balancing at least one trophy wife in her SUV Panzer.
But food is as much culture and PLEASURE than mere nutrition.
My favourite chef is still Jacques Pepin and if he says BUTTER
Doctor Oz can spin like a wirling Dervish. I want to learn more ethnic cooking after mastering rolling nori and pearl rice sushi.
Oh, I still find KALE irritating as the latest wunderkind of
nutrition and need to connect with Phil for a beer and Chicago pizza or deli sandwiches.

2 3,171
 01-03-2015, 12:26 PM
User Info
Wow...these are great ideas for 2015. Pickled herring sounds good as well as stepping up on the quality of eggs.

Sometimes it can be something very simple. When was the last time you had a good corn dog. I don't remember the last time I had one....maybe 25 years. My goal for 2015 is to eat a good corn dog(possibly two) with mustard and my homemade hot sauce.

[Image: MWzh6Ws.jpg]

That goal was met.BiggrinTongue

Edit: oh man this thing was good.

0 1,007
 01-03-2015, 01:06 PM
User Info
Aaron, I bet it's been longer than that for me. Yes, it looks good.

I crave the bratwurst I'd get at the carnivals we had on base when I was stationed in West Germany (yes, that dates me). They were in a fresh roll with really good mustard. When the carnival was on the parade field I wouldn't eat evening chow out of the mess hall. (salivating at the thought of the bratwurst)

I need to make some.

32 6,445
 01-03-2015, 01:59 PM
User Info
Ok here is a list of things I have never made and would like to. The list may change throughout the year but this will be for starters.

1. Smoked brisket
2. Lamb chops
3. Gumbo
4. Jambalaya
5. Fried calamari
6. Fatty
7. Paella

Let's see your list.

0 1,007
 01-03-2015, 02:01 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
While I enjoy a good hot dog occasionally, I have never understood the popularity of corn dogs. I don't dislike them but I'd rather have my frank in a bun with mustard and sauerkraut. Also, mustard but never ketchup or relish on a frank. Personal taste and regional differences, I guess. Smile

2 11,211
 01-03-2015, 02:18 PM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 01:59 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Ok here is a list of things I have never made and would like to. The list may change throughout the year but this will be for starters.

1. Smoked brisket
2. Lamb chops
3. Gumbo
4. Jambalaya
5. Fried calamari
6. Fatty

Let's see your list.

few years back I made emerill la gasses's et tu fe exactly per his receipe and omg it was amazing. the hit of the entire superbowl party. you might look up on net

73 1,262
 01-03-2015, 02:27 PM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 02:01 PM)freddy Wrote: While I enjoy a good hot dog occasionally, I have never understood the popularity of corn dogs. I don't dislike them but I'd rather have my frank in a bun with mustard and sauerkraut. Also, mustard but never ketchup or relish on a frank. Personal taste and regional differences, I guess. Smile

Popularity? Maybe it has to do it with being on a stick. Agree about the mustard on a corn dog or hot dog.

0 1,007
 01-03-2015, 03:14 PM
User Info
The list would be too extensive.

But the cold weather brings on chili and burrito filling, as well as perogies. We can't buy the cheese locally except when Hannaford says it's OK; so we make our own. Fooey on Hannaford (yet again)! Ours is just as good or better for 1/3 the price, but it's not a summer job. When we make the farmers cheese for perogies we make a mess of it and vac pak it.

32 6,445
 01-03-2015, 03:59 PM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 03:14 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: The list would be too extensive.

We can't buy the cheese locally except when Hannaford says it's OK; so we make our own.

Make your own? Now that's one for the list.

0 1,007
 01-03-2015, 06:03 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Aaron, for paella you MUST shop La Tienda. They are online and NOT CHEAP. If you want authentic ingredients and a proper pan it's the only real resource short of a vacation in Espana
wearing a black Basque beret, drinking Tremontillo and effecting an Earnest Hemingway gravitas.

2 3,171
 01-03-2015, 07:15 PM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 01:59 PM)DoctorShaveGood Wrote: Ok here is a list of things I have never made and would like to. The list may change throughout the year but this will be for starters.

1. Smoked brisket
2. Lamb chops
3. Gumbo
4. Jambalaya
5. Fried calamari
6. Fatty
7. Paella

Let's see your list.

This is a dangerous thread Biggrin
If you're going to do fatties, also do scotch eggs, ...awesome!

We have tied paella, but that failed, would like to try again.
We just returned from NO, so a Gumbo has to be on my list. Along with fried crawfish, and grilled oysters

31 1,800
 01-03-2015, 07:19 PM
User Info
Aaron, farmers cheese is incredibly easy to make. Plenty of web instructions and there are far more uses than perogies. I like it with chives as a spread for bread or crackers too.

32 6,445
 01-03-2015, 07:30 PM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 06:03 PM)kav Wrote: Aaron, for paella you MUST shop La Tienda. They are online and NOT CHEAP. If you want authentic ingredients and a proper pan it's the only real resource short of a vacation in Espana
wearing a black Basque beret, drinking Tremontillo and effecting an Earnest Hemingway gravitas.

Now I've put on another whole persona by just mentioning paella. I dig that. What will they call me?

(01-03-2015, 07:15 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: [quote='DoctorShaveGood' pid='482919' dateline='1420322356']

If you're going to do fatties, also do scotch eggs, ...awesome!

Scotch eggs...do tell.

0 1,007
 01-05-2015, 12:46 AM
User Info
Yes, what are these scotch eggs? I have some Glenlivet that i can cook with if that's what we're talking!

Sent from my Samsung Tablet using Tapatalk

1 1,975