01-02-2015, 07:06 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
I'm looking for the best not the cheapest to replate my Gillette slim.

0 80
 01-02-2015, 07:11 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
Whoa... Déjà Vu... (I think you're the third person to ask this today. :-D )

I've had Chris at RazorPlate.com do several pieces for me. His work is impeccable, and still very well priced.

22 828
 01-02-2015, 07:24 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
I just this morning sent him my B2 Red Tip.

All the photos I've seen of his work seem to indicate Chris is a real craftsman.

Will post pics when the razor is returned.

7 2,156
 01-02-2015, 07:39 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(01-02-2015, 07:24 PM)chazt Wrote: I just this morning sent him my B2 Red Tip.

All the photos I've seen of his work seem to indicate Chris is a real craftsman.

Will post pics when the razor is returned.

I have heard a lot of good things about Chris's work, Infact I haven't heard anything negative.What finish are you going with?

0 80
 01-03-2015, 06:34 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Nickel. At first I was thinking rhodium, but opted to go with the original finish. It should last another 50 years and by then I wont be using it much!

7 2,156
 01-03-2015, 06:58 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I recently had Chris replate my NEW Short Comb in gold. His work and customer service are excellent.

[Image: SOTD1-01-15_zps3560ce49.jpg]

4 2,766
 01-03-2015, 07:05 AM
User Info
Take a look at my experience with Chris and RazorPlate. My post is from April of 2014 so I'm not sure if the pricing is the same or not. One thing is for certain, his work is excellent as is his customer service.

Re-Plating my GEM Clog Pruf

31 8,057
 01-03-2015, 08:52 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(01-03-2015, 07:05 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Take a look at my experience with Chris and RazorPlate. My post is from April of 2014 so I'm not sure if the pricing is the same or not. One thing is for certain, his work is excellent as is his customer service.

Re-Plating my GEM Clog Pruf

Brian, I just read the thread. Your SE is stunning! I am completely satisfied with my decision to send my razor to Chris. As the song goes, "the way-ay-ting is the hardest part!"

7 2,156
 01-03-2015, 09:17 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Slim,

I've had Chris of razorplate.com do a few razors for me in nickel and he does very clean work. These were TTO Gillettes.

I've also bought a couple of rhodium replated razors from Nick at Sportshaving.com. He also does thoroughly good work.

Good luck on your search. 😀

2 286
 01-03-2015, 09:37 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have only dealt with Matt at Razor Emporium for razor replates, and his work has always exceeded my expectations Biggrin

34 1,628
 01-03-2015, 11:17 AM
User Info
sportshaving.com is owned & run by a professional jeweler. Its located in Louisiana.

6 589
 01-03-2015, 11:45 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Postage to the States and back is nothing short of exorbitant, but that's no fault of the re-plater. There is no-one here in Australia as far as I know, more's the pity. And the UK, these days? Anyone?

0 1,774
 01-03-2015, 06:59 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Shaun, I'm surprised that's the case. Have you checked with jewelry restoration firms?

7 2,156
 01-03-2015, 09:47 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(01-03-2015, 06:58 AM)Coyote Wrote: I recently had Chris replate my NEW Short Comb in gold. His work and customer service are excellent.

That razor looks awesome

0 80
 01-03-2015, 10:03 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
(01-03-2015, 06:59 PM)chazt Wrote: Shaun, I'm surprised that's the case. Have you checked with jewelry restoration firms?

Oh yes, but you're paying through the nose for that. I had one quote of $250 for a simple three-piece Sad

0 1,774
 01-04-2015, 07:54 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Ouch! That's robbery, pure and simple. Keep hunting - there must be someone more local to you. Good luck with your search.

7 2,156
 01-11-2015, 11:11 AM
  • Journeyman
  • The Present (when I'm lucky)
User Info
(01-03-2015, 06:58 AM)Coyote Wrote: I recently had Chris replate my NEW Short Comb in gold. His work and customer service are excellent.

So...very...pretty Love

18 277
 01-11-2015, 12:15 PM
User Info
Chris at razorplate.com is awesome!!

0 78
 01-11-2015, 02:55 PM
User Info
Per the below message from Chris on another forum I would contact him first about replating.

"Things are busy. Too busy! 

All of these "customs" have gotten me way behind (even more than usual). For the past week or so, I have also had the added luxury of having a wife and two kids bedridden with the flu. All of the replating and "daddy duties" are layered on top of the fact that I work a full-time, suit-and-tie, corporate job in the pharmaceutical industry.

Because of this, my turnaround times have gotten RIDICULOUS. 

Please know, that unlike some plating services, which sub-contract work to outside, industrial plating facilities, my business model is different. I am a formally-trained scientist and I do EVERY step of each razor, myself, in my own lab. NOTHING ever leaves my shop until it is finished and on the way back to its rightful owner. 

This type of work takes time. I have earned my reputation by providing meticulous attention to detail and customer service. I will not let my quality standards suffer by rushing jobs and not giving each razor the amount of attention that it deserves.

The problem is that I am so far behind, that I am having to quote insane turnaround times. This is not fair to my customers and potential customers. 

So......for the next few weeks, I will ask that those of you desiring my services to hold off on sending your razors until you contact me. 

For at least a couple of weeks, I need to stop taking-in work - until I get some of the backlog taken care of. Once I have gotten through the work that has piled-up, I will have a much cleaner slate and will be able to offer my services in a more expedient manner.

I am, in no way, limiting my services. Nor, am I going anywhere. Do not worry about that! I do this because I enjoy it, NOT because I depend on it to support my family. When something is FUN, it doesn't really seem like work.

I just want to make sure that I am able to continue to offer the best razor replating that I can possibly offer, get some of this backlog and horrendous turnaround times taken care of - and, most important, make sure that I keep things in perspective and balanced with the work-life equation.

A couple of weeks of not taking-in new work, should allow me to get things back in the corral, so-to-speak. I will make sure to post, both here and on my website, http://www.razorplate.com, when I will begin taking-in new work again.

That having been said, if you do not mind waiting until I get this glut out of the way - you may go ahead and send your projects. It may be a while before I get to them, but rest assured that every job will receive the same attention-to-detail as the jobs that are in line before it!

Thanks to all for your tremendous support and all the kind words about my work. I look forward to continuing to serve you guys - but will be able to do so much better, once I get my nose above the water line!

Thanks,

Chris"

147 3,539
 01-12-2015, 02:11 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I've had Razor Emporium do my father's and grandfather's razors, and I was quite pleased with the service and results. Quite pleased.

7 2,328