01-03-2015, 09:49 AM
User Info
I have been curious about how a Schick injector would compare with my DE razor and over the holiday my father tells me he has an old Schick if I would like it. It turns out to be a type O. (He doesn’t remember where he got it.) I cleaned it, put in a new blade and had a shave. Now it was my first shave with this or any injector but it seemed very mild. The balance was not that of my DE razors and it seemed light to me but it was fun.
My question for all the Schick aficionados out here: Compared to a Weber (routinely described as moderate) and the BBS-1 (routinely described as somewhat aggressive) how would you describe the Schick type O?
The BBS-1 is my daily razor but I plan to use the Schick until I feel I can use it effectively.

[Image: 3b7581d0-8d59-47b1-90a2-60fa158dacb6_zps993921d4.jpg]
I filled the old spice cup with MdC as a thank you to my father.

1 34
 01-03-2015, 10:27 AM
User Info
First off, congratulations. You've got the rarest of the rare in a Type O. The Schicks became progressively milder the farther up the alphabet; I stopped at the N's and they were very mild. I didn't mind because I matched them up with NOS Schick Plus Platinum blades, I think the best injector blades ever when it came to smoothness and efficiency. Today's blades just don't do it for me -- not as smooth, and hit and miss quality-wise. But a lot of injector guys feel differently, so YMMV. If you're using the modern Chinese-made Schick (Chicks) blades for your "O," then I'd wager it will be slightly less aggressive than the Weber, and much less so than the BBS. However, it should still be an effective razor. If they still made those old blades I'd still be using the N-type injector. Best combination I've ever tried.

29 1,776
 01-03-2015, 12:00 PM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 10:27 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: First off, congratulations. You've got the rarest of the rare in a Type O. The Schicks became progressively milder the farther up the alphabet; I stopped at the N's and they were very mild. I didn't mind because I matched them up with NOS Schick Plus Platinum blades, I think the best injector blades ever when it came to smoothness and efficiency. Today's blades just don't do it for me -- not as smooth, and hit and miss quality-wise. But a lot of injector guys feel differently, so YMMV. If you're using the modern Chinese-made Schick (Chicks) blades for your "O," then I'd wager it will be slightly less aggressive than the Weber, and much less so than the BBS.
However, it should still be an effective razor. If they still made those old blades I'd still be using the N-type injector. Best combination I've ever tried.

Thank you for the reply. Very informative. The only blades I have so far are pictured below. I don't know anything about Schick blades but my father indicated these were "old".
It's fun learning.

[Image: ff9a5a9e-a3c8-4ae5-936f-06acb57eabc6_zpsbf36d249.jpg]
[Image: schick1_zps4d28a90c.jpg]

1 34
 01-03-2015, 03:53 PM
User Info
You might be able to track these Plus Platinums down on eBay. They'll be expensive, but if you want to know what your injector is fully capable of, it might be worth it. I don't recognize off-hand the blades you show, but gather it's a fairly typical chromium version, not Teflon. (BTW, first photo, my old N2.) I know of gents who, when the Plus Platinums were plentiful, stocked up to the gills in them, as well as Personna 74's.

[Image: w9P2R6P.jpg] [Image: M7PTJFs.jpg]

[Image: UhFNbTJ.jpg]

These are the Chicks, fairly inexpensive and available at places like drugstore.com:

[Image: nJcow27.jpg]

You have to look closely at the writing on the back label. It should say manufactured in China. Decent enough. There might be old stock floating around from Germany, and those were awful.

29 1,776
 01-03-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
Like Ron says, congratulations! The type O is very rare indeed. I've never tried it but I've read that its reputation is as a very mild razor. I've also never tried the BBS-1 but I found the Weber to be "medium-aggressive." I've also generally found my injectors (usually in the "I" to "N" range) to be "mild-medium."

In my opinion one of my favorite elements of an injector is that the thicker blade allows the razor to be a little bit milder than a DE but still be effective. It also allows me to use a blade longer which makes it more cost-effective. If you're interested in them, you can still find earlier model injectors for prices cheaper than comparable-year DEs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

84 1,505
 01-04-2015, 03:15 AM
User Info
Well... I guess I'll be going on a treasure hunt soon. Again, thanks for the helpful replies.

1 34
 01-04-2015, 12:22 PM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 09:49 AM)Jbrent Wrote: I have been curious about how a Schick injector would compare with my DE razor and over the holiday my father tells me he has an old Schick if I would like it. It turns out to be a type O. (He doesn’t remember where he got it.) I cleaned it, put in a new blade and had a shave. Now it was my first shave with this or any injector but it seemed very mild. The balance was not that of my DE razors and it seemed light to me but it was fun.
My question for all the Schick aficionados out here: Compared to a Weber (routinely described as moderate) and the BBS-1 (routinely described as somewhat aggressive) how would you describe the Schick type O?
The BBS-1 is my daily razor but I plan to use the Schick until I feel I can use it effectively.

[Image: 3b7581d0-8d59-47b1-90a2-60fa158dacb6_zps993921d4.jpg]
I filled the old spice cup with MdC as a thank you to my father.

nice razor!

can you send us some good photos of your type O so we can add it to our injector wiki page?

you can see the page here: http://shavenook.com/page-schick-injectors

40 5,830
 01-04-2015, 07:39 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the injector and have fun using it.

83 21,077
 01-04-2015, 11:12 PM
User Info
I think I'm ready to give injectors a try! Congrats on that J!

Sent from my Samsung Tablet using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-04-2015, 11:45 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
OP, nice razor! I want one of the many Schicks of that general style and shape, and I won't be picky about which one it is. Yours in particular is a great find.
Bryan, you should look up a Schick. Should not be hard to find one, and I don't think you'll regret it. I love my E3.

2 1,683
 01-04-2015, 11:52 PM
User Info
(01-04-2015, 11:45 PM)SRNewb Wrote: OP, nice razor! I want one of the many Schicks of that general style and shape, and I won't be picky about which one it is. Yours in particular is a great find.
Bryan, you should look up a Schick. Should not be hard to find one, and I don't think you'll regret it. I love my E3.
I've seen a couple at my local antique shop, here in Washington, but just never knew how good they were. This of course was before i joined The Shave Nook. I'll have to McKee the jump though.

Sent from my Samsung Tablet using Tapatalk

1 1,975