01-03-2015, 05:37 PM
User Info
We are getting a wintry mix storm. Whether you get snow, ice, rain or a combo of all 3 depends on where the freezing temperature line moves.

Good weather for lighting the wood cookstove and making a pot of chilli. Simmered for a few hours and then bake biscuits to go with it. Cooking on top of the stove is easy. You move the pot to an area with the desired heat.

Cooking in the oven requires a little more attention. Especially for biscuits which need a high temp. Today I had too leave them in a little longer as I didn't hold the required temperature. They turned out fine.

[Image: FVY1OSO.jpg]

Chilli and biscuits was a perfect meal for this kind of weather.

Phil

7 363
 01-03-2015, 06:50 PM
User Info
Awesome set up! We actually still have the original wood burning cook stove in our family home. Sits right next to the electric lol. My great aunt still uses it when cooking large meals.

147 3,460
 01-03-2015, 07:07 PM
User Info
Nice! I love chili, even in TX

31 1,800
 01-03-2015, 08:21 PM
User Info
Wintry mix of snow and chili cannot be be beat.

0 1,007
 01-23-2015, 10:32 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-03-2015, 05:37 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Good weather for lighting the wood cookstove and making a pot of chilli. Simmered for a few hours and then bake biscuits to go with it. Cooking on top of the stove is easy. You move the pot to an area with the desired heat...

Hi Phil

Do you have a chili recipe to share? Pretty please Biggrin

During the past couple of months I have made chili twice (the only time I have done so in my life). Planing to make another batch sometime next week...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 01-26-2015, 09:12 AM
User Info
(01-23-2015, 10:32 AM)mikeperry Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 05:37 PM)PhilNH5 Wrote: Good weather for lighting the wood cookstove and making a pot of chilli. Simmered for a few hours and then bake biscuits to go with it. Cooking on top of the stove is easy. You move the pot to an area with the desired heat...

Hi Phil

Do you have a chili recipe to share? Pretty please Biggrin

During the past couple of months I have made chili twice (the only time I have done so in my life). Planing to make another batch sometime next week...

Take care, Mike

Mike,
I have a recipe based on my mom's recipe. She is an ex-pat such as you and we lived near Philly. Keep that in mind when comparing this recipe to real south east USA chilli Wink

1.5 lbs of lean ground beef
 bell pepper, diced
 medium onion, diced
 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
15 oz diced tomatoes
15 oz tomato sauce
1 tbsp chilli powder (increase or decrease based on tolerance)
1 tbsp dried cilantro leaves
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp veg oil
Salt/pepper to taste
2 - 15 oz red or light kidney beans
Shredded cheese of your choice.

Heat oil until shimmering. Sautee pepper and onion until soft. 
Add ground beef and cook until brown
Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT kidney beans. Stir. Bring to a simmer. Cover and let simmer 40 minutes. 
Add kidney beans. Simmer additional 30 minutes uncovered.

Transfer to bowls, top with shredded cheese. Serve with bread, biscuits or tortilla chips.

Notes: How much chilli powder you use is up to you. My wife is a gustatorial wimp so I actually use less while cooking and add cayenne powder at the table. If you do not have chilli powder you can substitute 1:1 cayenne pepper powder and cumin. I often do that but with less cumin as I find the taste overwhelming. My wife would prefer more cumin as she likes the taste.

Length of cooking can be subjective. This is a minimum. You can simmer it as long as you like to let the flavors mix and to thicken it up. You can put the kidney beans in any time but they can get mushy if overcooked.

Phil

7 363
 01-26-2015, 03:22 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(01-26-2015, 09:12 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote:
(01-23-2015, 10:32 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Do you have a chili recipe to share? Pretty please Biggrin

I have a recipe based on my mom's recipe. She is an ex-pat such as you and we lived near Philly. Keep that in mind when comparing this recipe to real south east USA chilli Wink

Hi Phil

Thank you Smile

Recipe looks pretty similar to the one we use (though we don't use a Bell Pepper, am now thinking we should add one or two of them into the mix).

In fact, I am cooking chili today in our Crock-Pot...
  • 2lbs of ground beef (though today we are going with 1lb of ground beef and 1lb of ground turkey)
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 3 or 4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 x 15oz diced tomatoes
  • 2 x 15oz tomato sauce
  • 2 x 15oz Chili beans
  • 1x 15oz Light red Kidney beans
  • 1x 15oz Dark red Kidney beans
  • 1 x 15oz Pinto beans
  • 1 x 15oz Black beans
  • 1 cup of Quinoa (rinsed)
  • Spices (see below)
When it comes to the spices, the wife always enjoys playing (mad) scientist and change things up a little bit each time, plus she really doesn't believe in measuring them out...

So for today's chili, the wife cooked (browned) the meat last night and threw in her mixture of spices at that point. I do know she dumps in a fair amount of chili powder...

This morning I diced up the onion, then lightly browned up the diced onion in a pan.

Everything then gets put into (and thoroughly mixed together in) the Crock-Pot and allowed to cook for about 6 hours.

The wife and Alpha like a small bowl of chili with grated cheese on top, plus a chili cheese dog or two on the side.

Me, I like a large bowl of chili with grated cheese on top, with crust bread (buttered) served on the side.

I guess we get 3 good meals worth out of the above recipe. Normally the 3rd and final meal is chili cheese fries.

Take care, Mike

Edit: Fixed my poor grammar.

23 1,872
 01-26-2015, 05:16 PM
User Info
Can't wait to make mine next month. It'll be my first.

1 1,975