01-03-2015, 08:22 PM
User Info
Is there any specific order you all use out there when wrapping up your shave with the use of a balm like Nivea for Sensitive Skin followed up with something like Kramperts Frostbite? Is it just a matter of preference or would the use of a balm FIRST hamper an aftershave like Frostbite or any of the many wonderful aftershaves out there from doing their thing? It could be a matter of experimentation.

Rei

1 44
 01-03-2015, 08:37 PM
User Info
i suggest you skip the balm and use frostbite all by itself. try and see how you like it Wink

7 1,624
 01-03-2015, 08:59 PM
  • flintlock
  • Who's for the camp at Cambridge...
  • Hamilton, NJ
User Info
Hi, Aftershave first, then a balm If my Face feels like I need one.

Anthony

0 35
 01-03-2015, 09:54 PM
User Info
+3

Especially with Frostbite, with the EOs and the skin care package formulated into it you might find you need nothing more. Adjust the skin care by the amount used. Let it fully dry before evaluating your skin. I use a puddle in my palm about the size of a quarter. I might need a bit more for the left cheek, but just a smidgeon. It all hinges on how efficient I was in spreading it on my face and not in the sink.

If you need more tips feel free to PM or email me. I'm always willing to help.

32 6,470
 01-03-2015, 11:42 PM
User Info
I don't think I will be of any help as I only use unrefined shea butter after my shaves. Blush

83 21,113
 01-04-2015, 12:48 AM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 11:42 PM)celestino Wrote: I don't think I will be of any help as I only use unrefined shea butter after my shaves. Blush
You don't even bother with a splash of witch hazel or similar? You really are a shea butter fundamentalist! Thanks to your thread I've recently been enabled. It's really rather good!

In response to the OP:

Like the others, you can get the desired results from one product. Buying numerous products can be somewhat superfluous, although I know that some folks swear by cluttering up their lives with a myriad of pre-shave soaps, pre-shave oils, hot cloths, numerous soaps, creams and glycerine super/überlathers, flannels in freezers, alum, alcohol-free witch hazels, aftershave lotions and balms and probably moisturisers too that are marketed as 'post-shave'...

0 143
 01-04-2015, 01:41 AM
User Info
If i have a lot of razor burn, I'll turn to a few of my balms. All other times, aftershave.

Sent from my Samsung Tablet using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-05-2015, 07:00 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I love the burn feel of an alcohol splash right after a cold water rinse, probably from shaving the way my grandfather and father did, with Old Spice or Mennen's. However, the alcohol tends to be drying, so a little while later I apply a good balm.

38 5,198
 01-05-2015, 07:37 AM
User Info
(01-05-2015, 07:00 AM)evnpar Wrote: I love the burn feel of an alcohol splash right after a cold water rinse, probably from shaving the way my grandfather and father did, with Old Spice or Mennen's. However, the alcohol tends to be drying, so a little while later I apply a good balm.
Exactly! I love the slapped in the fave feel from my AS!

11 230
 01-06-2015, 02:54 PM
  • Carson
  • Adelaide, Australia
User Info
I normally apply a balm and then aftershave.

I have never found that the aroma of the aftershave is hampered on top of the balm. FWIW the balms I use are unscented.

0 108
 01-06-2015, 03:46 PM
User Info
(01-03-2015, 08:22 PM)The Noble Steed Wrote: Is there any specific order you all use out there when wrapping up your shave with the use of a balm like Nivea for Sensitive Skin followed up with something like Kramperts Frostbite? Is it just a matter of preference or would the use of a balm FIRST hamper an aftershave like Frostbite or any of the many wonderful aftershaves out there from doing their thing? It could be a matter of experimentation.

Rei

I use a splash of Thayer's Witch Hazel followed by either ASL or ASB, not both.

15 98
 01-06-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
For me it's, Splashes in the summer when my skin may be more oily and Balms in the cold dry winters of Canada.

If I get razor burn or irritation in the winter, I will use Thayers WH Astringent and then follow it with a balm.

8 2,718
 01-06-2015, 09:14 PM
User Info
Splash first, then if needed, balm. I highly suggest mentholated splashes as menthol is a natural topical anesthetic. Frostbite should definitely do it, but some folks are a bit sensitive to higher levels of menthol. You might want to try something less mentholated.

After some years, I ran across Myrsol aftershaves. If you are good with a classic, powdery scent, their formula F/Extra is very calming with a good menthol content. Gary's Sample Shoppe sometimes carries samples of this.

Cheers!

0 35
 01-06-2015, 09:25 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Occasionally, I'll use a balm but most of the time I find a cold water rinse followed by a few spritzes of my selected fragrance is all that I need.

Most of my ASBs get little use.

60 1,626
 01-06-2015, 09:31 PM
User Info
(01-04-2015, 12:48 AM)Burgundy Wrote:
(01-03-2015, 11:42 PM)celestino Wrote: I don't think I will be of any help as I only use unrefined shea butter after my shaves. Blush
You don't even bother with a splash of witch hazel or similar? You really are a shea butter fundamentalist! Thanks to your thread I've recently been enabled. It's really rather good!

Hard to believe, but true indeed! Just unrefined shea butter, for now. Maybe, I'll be adventurous enough to try an AS/splash, one day! Biggrin
Great to hear you are enjoying the shea butter!

83 21,113
 01-07-2015, 10:52 PM
User Info
Me: splash on my witch hazel concoction (I added aloe vera gel & glycerin); let that dry while I clean my razor & brush; then splash on aftershave. In the winter, I add 1 more step - balm when the AS dries.
I would add my signature, but I don't know where to make one Huh

0 6
 01-08-2015, 01:20 AM
User Info
I normally apply a balm and then aftershave but some time I used frostbite.

0 27
 01-08-2015, 06:09 AM
User Info
When using cologne along with a skin moisturizing lotion, it is usually recommended to apply the fragrance first, then the lotion on top of it a few moments later. (Allows the fragrance to absorb into the skin, then the lotion anchors it there, allowing it to last (and be enjoyed) longer.

So, if you want to enjoy the scent of an AS a little longer, it may be worth giving the same thing a try -- aftershave first, then balm.

Can't speak as to how the order will impact the soothing affect of either...

3 147
 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM
User Info
(01-08-2015, 06:09 AM)Malacoda Wrote: When using cologne along with a skin moisturizing lotion, it is usually recommended to apply the fragrance first, then the lotion on top of it a few moments later. (Allows the fragrance to absorb into the skin, then the lotion anchors it there, allowing it to last (and be enjoyed) longer.

So, if you want to enjoy the scent of an AS a little longer, it may be worth giving the same thing a try -- aftershave first, then balm.

Can't speak as to how the order will impact the soothing affect of either...
Good and useful information.

Sent from my Samsung Tablet using Tapatalk

1 1,975
 01-10-2015, 09:41 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Alcohol on my face in the morning.
Alcohol in my throat in the afternoon.

2 3,171